If a chicken had an EXTRA toe?!?

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Would it be a DQ or a defect if a chicken had an extra toe on one foot? I know if a bird is missing a toe, half a point is deducted, right? Unless they're a silkie, houdan, faverolle, dorking or sultan. In which case they'd just be disqualified.
But if say, any other breed of chicken HAD AN EXTRA TOE, would it just lose points as a defect, or get disqualified?
Also..define defect and disqualification.
I'm preparing for showmanship for my last ever competition at the county fair (as I age out of 4-H), and I just get these crazy hypothetical questions I cant answer in my head.

Incorrect number of toes for the breed is a disqualification. A defect is something less seriously incorrect: a missing toenail, for example. A DQ tosses the bird from competitipm; a defect merely lowers its point tally.

Snowbird, I am..But the toes and eyes still confuse me even after seven years. Okay, so if a bird was missing an eye (no, I WOULDNT show a chicken with just one eye), would it be a defect or a dq? Me thinks since eyes are a part of the point scale, that it would be a defect,
@Sonoran--Thank you! Im taking them to the fair today. Wish us luck. Six toed boy is too sweet ^_^ he may have funny feet but he is a darling showmanship bird! Showmanship tomorrow. For the very last time. Very nervous.

lol.png
The showmanship clinic we went to, he actually used the bird with a missing eye as an example in his explanation of the differences. He said defect. He also said not to expect it to place well.
lau.gif

Hmmm, I see what you mean on the eyes and toes thing though. Extra toe DQ, but if one short....say cut off in an accident, that should be a defect rather than a DQ I would think, but DQ if born that way. Darn it, there was a Silkie DQed at our last show because of it's toes, but I don't remember if it was for one missing or one extra.

Depending on the show, the exhibitor and the fact you're talking about showmanship, it may not matter so much. Depends on the judge and how he's scoring.

depends on if it is an apa show or a county fair. at our fair there was a bird labeled polish (it was the only 4-h polish) it got a blue. It was actually a HOUDAN with six toes and everything. identical to the bird in the storeys book.
idunno.gif
just depends

Yep, we have an APA sanctioned Judge.
It was a good show. My last 4-H county fair with showmanship (because I'm aging out)...Was today. Won Grand Champion Senior Showman!
@Sonoran: I used the six toed cockerel as my showmanship birdie, he was a doll,and we won! Im sooooo amazed and thankful and just wow. Im just speechlessly shocked
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom