If you had to choose a breed(s)?

openheartnurse

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
If you could only have 4 hens for use in town (meaning no loud/noisy varieties please) which breed(s) would you choose? They can be four different breeds, just for variety or all the same breed. Trying to get some opinions. And if you want you could recommend a hatchery or breeder of the varieties you recommend. :eek:) Hopefully will be starting up a little coop in town soon! :eek:)

I have notice that my New Hampshire Red hen is super friendly and quite. She talks to me, but doesn't go all "I JUST LAID AN EGG, CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!!!!!" like some of my other girls, lol.

If I could do only four, - I'd do an Araucana, a Marans, a Polish or Houdan, and a Shamo.

I'd get all of them only from a breeder, a good one. Shamos aren't for everyone but there are some people I'd recommend, one who sadly doesn't do Shamos anymore though. As for Araucanas I always recommend Ann Charles or Gary Ramey. Both ship chicks and eggs. For Marans I'd probably go to Wynette, hatch some eggs, choose a nice girl, and sell the rest since I could only have so much in this scenario. For the Polish or Houdan, the Houdan I'd get from a specific member here on BYC, again get eggs, for the Polish I'd probably look for a Tolbunt breeder with stronger lines than most. Again eggs. Towns may have ordinances but no-one can really jail you for having excess chicks for a couple weeks.
wink.png

The Araucana is for blue eggs, longevity, and cool appearance.

The Marans is for a large calm bird with seriously dark eggs.

The Polish or Houdan is for a beautiful super friendly bird with white eggs.

The Shamo is for a seriously cool and rare bird with amazing nobility longevity and friendliness but with typical light brown eggs.

Last edited:
I would go with an orpington, probably a lavender cause I have been DYING to find one! I think they are STUNNING, and if their personalities are like the buffs, I am in love! I would probably have an easter egger, a FBCM, and BLRW cause I think they are also stunning, and very sweet!

I do not have any experience with breeder stock, as all of my birds have come from hatcheries and the occasional rescue, but I would love to support some private breeders. They seem to give you a chance at better stock, and better living conditions for the breeders.

...and to account for chicken math, that actually comes out to three orps, three EEs, three FBCM, and three BLRW, in addition to the australorp, cochin, frizzle babies in the brooder that do not count as chickens yet
wink.png

i would go with bantam cochins. soo freindly and sweet. mines not loud at all and doesnt run from me.

i would also recomend bantam rose comb rhode island reds(breeder stock) hatcherys almost never have pure RIRs

also very sweet. love attention. non agressive and not loud.

both lay medium size brown eggs
Id get both just for a veriety
they are small so u dont need a large area for them
Cochin bantams cuz there cute and nice to look at

ive owned and raised both and love them

Last edited:
I guess I should specify a little ... the chicks are going to be in central illinois, so the temperature ranges are from zero degrees to 100 degrees. (love the Illinois weather!)

If I had to choose an all bantam flock I would choose:
1 Bantam Salmon Faverolle
1 Bantam Lavender Ameraucana
1 Porcelain d'Uccle
1 Bantam Barnevelder

If I had to choose an all LF flock I would choose:
1 Barnevelder
1 Salmon Faverolle
1 Blue Jersey Giant
1 Lavender Ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom