illegal to buy light bulbs...

Quote:
What?....Guess ya had to see the movie....

Q9 do ya have somewhere where they tell if the president actually complimented this plan? I know a lot about the day of but not a whole lot about the months leading up to it.

Quote:
What?....Guess ya had to see the movie....

Q9 do ya have somewhere where they tell if the president actually complimented this plan? I know a lot about the day of but not a whole lot about the months leading up to it.

It's unconfirmed whether FDR saw it or not, but since all 8 points were implemented... The one that really gets me is the fact that the US fleet was moved to Pearl Harbor. At the time the memo was issued, the Fleet was safely stationed in San Diego, which to my mind seems like a much more logical position.

You should put some books on basic military strategy on your list of must reads. It's much easier to defend Hawaii from Pearl Harbor than from 3000 miles away or whatever the distance is between SD and PH. Times were very tense back then and they knew that Japan was a potential threat. If you move your fleet to Hawaii you are much closer to your objective. We lost a lot of men defending islands that were nothing but some sand that we could build airstrips on for just that reason.

It's too bad that the Dems don't have someone like FDR around. The guy did what he knew needed to be done. He didn't care if people hated him for it. Seems like most people liked him though. He got re-elected enough times. That's the one thing I did respect about Bush. He got what he wanted. It was usually against the majority of Americans wishes but he got it done.

Quote:
You respect that?

You must love Hitler then. He got a lot done no one liked.

If the fleet was in Pearl to defend the islands they would have been stationed around them not stacked up in a harbor partying.

Indeed. Look at the fact that at one point, just before the attack, a destroyer blasted the conning tower off of a Japanese midget submarine. It was dismissed as a hallucination.

"I'm telling you, it was a hallucination!"
"Of course. My 5-inch shell somehow blasted the conning tower off of a hallucination, and I then imagined that I saw a sinking sub and bubbles. All my men also had the same hallucination at the same time. Understood, sir."

If it weren't so close to being horrifying it would be hilarious.
roll.png

Quote:
You respect that?

You must love Hitler then. He got a lot done no one liked.

If the fleet was in Pearl to defend the islands they would have been stationed around them not stacked up in a harbor partying.

Indeed. Look at the fact that at one point, just before the attack, a destroyer blasted the conning tower off of a Japanese midget submarine. It was dismissed as a hallucination.

"I'm telling you, it was a hallucination!"
"Of course. My 5-inch shell somehow blasted the conning tower off of a hallucination, and I then imagined that I saw a sinking sub and bubbles. All my men also had the same hallucination at the same time. Understood, sir."

If it weren't so close to being horrifying it would be hilarious.
roll.png

Indeed!

As far as Hitler and "love" pre war. He created jobs for the working class, a national sense of pride.. He was supported cautiously by the people before the war.... All be it with a raised eye brow, some of the things he said and did gave clues to his instability.. and of course he was not a German.. He was an Austrian....
lol.png
. (He kept his phycotic lunacy fairly well hidden from the public early on and mid mid war it was just kaos and it was hard enough to keep alive and feed your kids..) So I understand from my depression era relatives. (WWII vets are going fast...not many left.
sad.png
.) History has been a bit twisted and simplified IMO.

I am one to not use the word HATE.. But I do HATE war.. The innocent always loose. What we did to Dresden is sad.. We bombed it so hard the pavement was on fire.. Of course that does not compare to what happened to Hiroshima. (If it were not for the US using nuclear weapons on Japan I most likely would not exist. At the close of the European theater my father was shipped to the Philippines waiting to make a ground assault on Japan.. (He was an infantryman.. As we all know not many of the first wave make it. (Think D day))

ON
Do you think we are off topic????
gig.gif

Last edited:
American interest in the Pacific included places much further away from the US mainland, and closer to Asia than Hawaii. The Philippines and Guam were both under Japan's crosshairs which makes moving the fleet to Hawaii sensible.

mom'sfolly :

American interest in the Pacific included places much further away from the US mainland, and closer to Asia than Hawaii. The Philippines and Guam were both under Japan's crosshairs which makes moving the fleet to Hawaii sensible.

I agree, Pearl Harbor like with almost everything, was a complex series of events.. Some blind eyes turned..maybe, mistakes made in intelligence yes.
ON​

Back
Top Bottom