I'm gonna recommend a GUN

Woodmort - thankies for the infoz! I know they were putting a safety on the Marlin 39A, I guess the Henry is more "traditional". Yep, lower the hammer .... carefully ..... on the round then that's 'safe' then cock the hammer to fire. Got it.

Yes moving the whole action can scare game into the next county.

Since the barrel on my Henry Youth is something like 16.5", it may do OK with shot cartridges. I have two types, the expensive CCI ones with the transparent tip, and the cheaper ones with the tip that's pinched closed.

Getting back to that good ol' Anniversary Edition fancy Red Ryder I got at Wal-Mart for $25, well they raised the price to $29 or so then they ran out. Well, I guess I never showed my Red Ryder off to the land owner here, and today I did. We shot at cat food cans and well, that little gun is sure addictive! The result of this was that we went to Wal-Mart and he bought a ton of pellets (for his pellet guns) BB's, and since they didn't have the Ryders there we went over to TSC where they're also $29, and he bought FOUR of them.

Lots of money for a 22 cal Henry.

While it is a good gun their are many cheaper alternatives, that shoot very well.

Quote:
Just be careful you don't shoot your eye out.
smile.png

Quote:
I got a Gamo Delta pellet rifle a while back, was showing it off to my friend, aimed at the end of an old log and my friend winced and said "ow", the pellet had bounced right back and hit him on the shoulder! I'd assumed that:

Pellets being soft lead, they don't tend to richochet

Ricochets tend to not come right back atcha.

SHEESH!! He said he squinched his eyes up at the time I shot, smart guy.

What type of guns do you all recommend for personal/family protection from home invasions, etc. ????? Cause let's face it it's gonna be awhile before the sheriff shows up when you live in the boonies.

Quote:
I'm a fan of pump shotguns for home protection. The sound'll take care of some problems before they become serious. Mossberg 500 works pretty well for this.

Add a nice revolver or pistol as a backup. One you're comfortable using and will practice with regularly matters more than most anything else.

Personally, I've never been a fan of lever action. I find them awkward and unwieldy to handle. I way prefer pump action.

Home invasion, the standard answer is .... shotgun. Generally a pump, a Remington 870 just like the cops use.

And training training training!

Take classes! Look for local ones, fly out and take one from Front Sight, Appleseed, anyone, take classes.

My son says he has seen where soreone wrote in about their lazer light on their gun seem to make the guy that wasin a hurry to leave with this guy's toolbox, stand so perfectly still and patience abounded when he had lit up this guy's chest with the lazer led light. Never even took the safety off! Now that's what I like. Don't mess with me scumbag because if I got my gun out, I can ganrantee I am in fear of my life, and if you mess around, you will be shot and if you are heading in my direction, I can garantee I will keep shooting until you stop.

OK, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

I agree with Woodmort on a couple of things. A detachable magazine is a good feature for anyone new to guns. They have a safelt and are easy to unload. I would rather have a handgun over a long gun for around the farm, holster it and you have your hands to work.

My first choice wuold be a Ruger single six, you really can't beat a revolver, Ruger, S&W, or Taurus
Second would be a Ruger Mark 3, very nice inexpensive semi auto (only $240 new)

As far as long guns go, I see no issue woth the 10/22. Yes there are a lot of aftermarket "stuff" for them, but you dont need any of it. I have a 10/22 and a Marlin 60 and like them both. They both have there plus and minus's being tube feed vs a magazine, but both have there place.

As for home defense, WHAT EVER YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. Honestly that is all that matters. It doesn't do any good to have a 12 ga shotgun if you cant hit the broad side of a barn with it, or are scared to pull the trigger. Granted it will take a very good shot with a bb gun to stop a meth head who is stoned out of their mind, but you get the point. My 9mm would be my go to just because it's easy to carry/hide (and has a 17 rd mag), but if I have to open the gun safe I would grab that and a shot gun
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom