I'm gonna recommend a GUN

My other .22 long gun is a bolt-action marlin. I need to find a scope I like to put on it. I'm partial to fixed-power scopes. A nice old Weaver K6 would be neat.

Quote:
I wouldn't use "Rat Shot" in any gun I was particularly fond of.

It has the potential to foul the rifling.

In the case of CB caps, shorts, or longs, I can shoot them in my .22 but the bolt has to be locked down and cycled manually.
My normal load is long rifle hollow points, whatever brand on sale.

GarlicEater, with the 22 "plinking rifle" a fixed scope is the best way to go. Weaver makes a good one and at a reasonable price. The least expensive "other" scope I've found is the Tasco 4X15 Rimfire Rifle scope - $8.95 (without mounting rings and hardware). Check out Optics Planet and search Fixed Scopes. A wide selection at a full range of prices.

As for rat shot, I might look on the net here for specs on the CCI rat shot, it comes with a neato little clear plastic cap on each round, maybe there's a sort of wad or something that keeps the shot away from the rifling.

For a scope, I'd like to see if I can find a used older one for a good price but, that little 4X15 Tasco is like $7 at Wal-Mart so there's always that.

I picked the gun up yesterday! The nice, long white box is sitting by my bed as I write. Since it's raining cats and dogs and if I take it out I'll want to shoot it, I'm waiting for a break in this rain.

The CCI rat shot might be OK, due to a combination of the short barrel (just over 16") and apparently these rounds have a neat little wad behind the shot. They're spendy though! $5 for 20 of 'em. I have a box or two of the older crimped-end type too.

Of course I was required to buy an idiotic gun lock that looked like it could secure a Humvee. Between one of the guys at the shop and myself, we couldn't get it on there so I said, "Let's just pack it up and say we did" and the guy said, "Sure!" and we did. I traded the lock for 4 silver dimes at a place I buy/sell a little silver at, so all's good.

I'm hearing the rat shot is actually pretty quiet, reading gun chat boards online.

This place needs a good dog, smart, won't hurt the chickens or cats or geese, but with a keen hunting instinct. So far I seem to be that dog
wink.png
I'm the one killing rats and possums around here, chasing crows off and basically keen on the trail of any vermin. I seriously look forward to doing some night hunting with this little gun.

The only guns we got in the house won't work when you have a bad aim! Those suckers packed a wallop!

I've got my own Remington pistol and hubby got his own set of Remingtons. Can't put bullets in them! Only gunpowder and paper and if you can, metal balls. Takes too long to load and you gotta know how to load them. Hubby has his own rifles, the Thompson rimfire and Sharps repeating rifle. All of them are CW reproductions but not good for aiming at predators unless it is big enough like a rabbit or cat or a dog.

Brother in law has several Henry repeating rifle, it was something else for reenactments....blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam......going against the muzzle loaders most of them can load as fast as 45 seconds.

Now the Gaitling gun, heh heh! Go for it! It would make a real mess of predators as long you don't have any buildings nearby.

Quote:
At least no stinky Eley red box, right?

somebody knows about tenex! Actually I used to shoot black box out if my 1813.. Red box wouldnt hold a good group.

Back
Top Bottom