I'm NEVer taking my kids anywhere ever again!

Hen_House_Rocks!

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Saturday, my husband and I took our two little girls, ages 3 and 5 to the botanical gardens. It was our 7 year anniversary and we wanted to do something nice as a family instead of the usual anniversery dinner date.

So, we buy our tickets and and head out to the gardens. The second garden we walk into has a beautiful fountain. We ask our girls to sit in front of it so we can snap their picture. The youngest says something smart-aleky to her sister and her sister pushes her. Into the fountain. INTO THE FOUNTAIN!!!

I have never been more mortified in my life!!

Of course a black-tie event is being held in an adjacent garden so all of this occured in front of around 30 people all dressed in formal attire. As we pull our soaked three year old out who is choking and gasping from near drowning we are getting the stink eye from everyone. NO ONE offered any assistance.

My oldest daughters eyes are so wide and she starts crying and telling her sister she is sorry. She even took her sweater off to wipe Katy's face with no prompting from us. I think it really scared her!

My girls are very well mannered and 99% of the time are the sweetest, best behaved kids. But that other 1% ...... boy does it try my patience!

We bought season tickets to the symphony's family concerts this year. I'm wondering now if that was a wise decision. I can just see Katy streaking across the stage or Sylvia tripping and falling down a flight of stairs in the middle of a concert.

Sheesh. This parenting this is a challenge!
smile.png
Thanks for letting me vent!

Does anyone else have any funny disasters stories of their children in public???

I definitely didn't laugh at the time!! I'm finally starting to see the humour in it. Good thing I had an extra set of dry clothes in the van!!! My obsessive-compulsive over planning finally paid off!

I do, but if it offends anyone I'm sorry and I'll pull it off immediately. Little background. I live in the same area I grew up in. My town has 300 people....... When my youngest son was 3ish I would pull out all kinds of old videos to keep him entertained because at the time I was a single father... well something from my youth happened to catch his eye. The California raisins. He loved the old commercials from some of the old taped cartoons I had on VHS.......

Ok fastforward to a little later I took him into flint with me grocery shopping at the local Meijers. It was a saturday and meijers was busy as all get out. In the checkout line i was unpacking grocerys and he was sitting in the kid portion of the cart..... right behind us was an elderly black woman who had some wrinkles...... Never had realized it, but in 3 years, my son had never seen a black person other than TV so he was a little confused.

"Hey daddy look, it's a raison."

Needless to say I was mortified, the kind woman behind us started laughing so hard she actually spit her dentures out. Needless to say my son's bluntness and direct attitude has given me many more scares, but he got it from somewhere
idunno.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Some of my daughter's first words were to a black man in the city. "Daddy!" I was humiliated. Luckily, he had a sense of humor too! Btw, her daddy is a tall red head!

lau.gif
lau.gif
I loved it!!! I know I was walking once with a friend by this big fountain and I bent down to splash her with some water and fell in, it was quite embarrassing! And no one offering to help doesn't surprise me any, I've been there and felt totally helpless and everyone just looking but not doing anything to help!
idunno.gif

Looking back now you can laugh though, it's quite funny and as they get older, I'm sure you will re-tell the story many times!!!
love.gif

Hen_House_Rocks - Please know that we are laughing with you, not at you.

That said:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Trust me, we've ALL been mortified by our children at some point. The good news is, if they're lucky, they live to be teenagers, at which point they are mortified by us!

Revenge is sweet!

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom