I'm new to the forum and have a question

And my move is simply taking a protesting Momma out of the nest, then her eggs, then her peeps and putting them in completely new, clean nesting material. Once I have her peeps and eggs moved Momma goes in to make sure they are OK.

Ok - so here's my plan: I'll move Twinkie and her babies into a huge clear plastic tub (I just happen to have one) and I'll put a wire top on it. I will locate the tub in a quiet corner of the house until the chicks hatch.

I think once they hatch, I will set up a little yard made of wire for them to run around in during the day and use my small dog crate as a nesting box.

Does this sound ok?

Maybe, depending on the size. Remember the hen while on the nest leaves infrequently to eat, drink & defecate. If the space she is in is too small she will not want to poop too closely to her food and water.

Robin, Good point about the space thing. Maybe I should just move the nest into the dog crate and put it in a small wired-in area outside so Twinkie can move around a bit. I'm just worried that putting the crate on the ground so the chicks don't fall out will result in the bottom of the eggs being too cold.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom