Impacted Crop - Baseball Size - VIDEO IS READY!!

The Video Is Ready!

Yes, it was pretty tense for a while. Of course some light humor through the process helped. Surrounded by friends and family, there were 8 people in the room watching. So, here is the video. This is condensed into 6 odd minutes. It took a total of about 35 unedited actual minutes to perform. It is not for the faint of heart I warn.

She is still doing fine, eating some softened food and drinking. All systems seem to be working. Incision is nice and clean, so sign of infection so far.

You all should get some kind of award for putting together this video! It is absolutely unbelievable!

I can't begin to thank you enough for doing this. If I ever have to do a crop impaction surgery, I will now know what I need to do. I copied it from YouTube and put it in my Chicken files so I can access it if needed.

thumbsup.gif

Unbelievable footage!!! Good work!!! This footage will be helpful to many others including myself should I ever have to do this. Thank you!!!
clap.gif

Thank you. It actually was pretty easy once I got myself psyched up enough, and calmed my nerves. I had my game face on so to speak. The one that was removing the crop contents was my sister the nurse. Really, she is a nurse. Steve her fiance is also an EMT/Firefighter. So I had some experience in the room. Not necessarily with poultry, but you understand. Things that I would have improved would have been a rounded type scalpel rather than a xacto (pointed) type. I would have used better gloves, mine tore at the wrist. Other than that, just knowing that you HAVE to do something lends to you CAN do something. If I didn't she would have died a slow painful death. That is where my mind was.

What did it smell like? It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Not that it didn't smell. It smelled like rotten milk and burnt rubber. Why? I have no idea. As far as blood goes, I just cut through the outer skin layer, there was very little blood. When I cut through the meat so to speak, it bled some. I just stopped between cuts to apply a little pressure and it stopped pretty quickly. I think I soaked one cotton ball. That is not a lot for a human, but it may be a lot for a chicken, I don't know.

wow! can a crop hold so much?
th.gif
well done you guy, i think you saved that poor girls life!
clap.gif

so what was in there? straw? hay? grass? bit of everything??

Apparently
wink.png

Well, she just kept eating and eating. There was that much in there and I had her separated with no food, only water for two days to see if it would go down. She had been like that for a while. It was straw mostly. I put it in their nest boxes because it getting down to 10 below zero outside with 20 below wind chills. Not on the floor, just up in the boxes. I mean, there is straw everywhere really, pretty much on every farm. Don't know what happened. They have 24/7 access to grit, so who knows. Maybe she had/has something else going on. Only time will tell. She is in the kitchen in a storage bin, towel, and water. She has had two servings of wet mash chicken feed and seems to be doing well. She sure eats it up quick. I am giving it to her in about 1/2 - 3/4 cup servings. I want her to be good and healed closed before I let her expand her crop fully.

Excellet video! Do you have a photo of the entire contents removed?

What did you use for closing the crop and skin?

You may want to get this girl on some Nystatin asap to help get her crop back to moving again. KUDOS!

Back
Top Bottom