Impacted Crop - Baseball Size - VIDEO IS READY!!

Well, so far so good. She does keep pulling the dang skin open, didn't know whether to stitch it or what. I figured if I did she would pull the stitches out anyway. I think even if I skin stapled it she would pull them out. I had already glued it twice, found myself trying to reason with her, but she won't listen. It was at that point I realized I was trying to rationalize with a chicken. I even though of coming up with an inverted cone or something. I decided just to leave it, she seems to be cleaning it or something, maybe she knows better than I. Once she was satisfied she has left it alone. I think she was picking the superglue out. It appears to be scabbing up and it looks great, no sign of infection or anything. I understand there' an antiseptic anti-peck or something that TSC sells that may help since it is bitter tasting.

She is eating and drinking and pooing normally. I am still only giving her about a 1/2 cup wet food at a time. She eats like it's the last supper. Maybe it's because she is in the kitchen and can see us cooking. We had chicken and rice last night.

I am going to remove the straw from the boxes, it's not as cold anymore (25-30 overnight now), but it is still out in the yard and here and there. None of the other ones seem to eat it or they do and aren't affected by it. She probably has something else going on or maybe just a fluke.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that she laid an egg this morning, so i guess she isn't feeling too bad. It was kind of weird though, I should have taken a picture, but there was an oval section on the bottom that seems thinner than the rest and the oval outline looked like a diamond plate pattern around it. Custom eggs.

Last edited:
Can you possibly get a few wraps of Vet-wrap around it for a couple of days? I know it's lower on their chest and it may not cover it or even stay. How about a baby t-shirt that will keep her from clawing it.

Is she pecking at it or using her foot?

She's pecking at it and around it, like she is cleaning it or something. She pulled all the pin feathers around it, as if to keep the area clean. What's the experience with chickens pecking at their wounds, are they trying to care for it, or do they like tasting their own blood? I don't know if it itches, or if she is eating herself, lol. Baby T-shirt might work. Vet wrap? I was going to wrap it but I was afraid she would eat it and end up with a ball of gauze in her gullet. Dang chickens, i tell ya. I just wanted some fresh eggs in the morning. My 3 year old daughter has taken a shine to her being in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah...it's hard to put them back out after a near death experience.
lol.png
It's amazing how we/they get attached to each other.
roll.png

Yes, she was awake during the whole thing. We wrapped her in a towel and covered her head with a ankle high cotton sock. She pretty much just laid there. She jumped a little on the first incision, and little toward the end (I think she was getting impatient), but other than that she was perfectly motionless. I think you can get disposable scalpels from TSC. The pointy xacto kind work in a pinch, and is what I used, but it would have been easier with a curved tip surgical grade, which I think are much sharper as well. Not that mine wasn't sharp, but I think an actual scalpel is sharper.

ep.gif
Well I'll be darn. That is amazing. Never entered my mind that something like that could be done at home. I have learned so much from the folks on this website it boggles my mind. High fives all around.

Back
Top Bottom