Impacted Crop - Baseball Size - VIDEO IS READY!!

Just want to be sure that folks realize you should never use anything with a "caine" pain reliever- I can see how you'd be tempted to do so, but benzocaine can kill a bird in a few minutes, so just wanted to mention that.

I would either use the Vet glue (super glue), but you need to make sure skin is dry and this is hard. We used dissolving and non-dissolving sutures (ordered a practice student kit from Amazon)-they come with needles and that made ALL the difference. Also a surgical scalpel is wonderfully sharp and does a great job.

I performed this surgery on my cochin hen. I used dissolving sutures which I got from my vet. First I stitched the crop closed, Then I stiched the outer skin seperately. I applied bacitracin (first aid oinment) to the incision. I gave her water soluable antibiotics for two days (she didn't like it at all). It healed fantastically! She never picked at it at all. I applied the ointment once a day for 3-5 days and it looked great. She never bothered with it. I fed her only soft foods; yogurt, applesauce, scrambled eggs, chick crumbles soaked in milk for a week. She is completly healed and doing great. I also removed the hay I had in their nest boxes. Now only shavings inside and sand and dirt outside. She sat on and hatched eggs a couple months prior to this impaction. I wonder if she was eating the hay the whole time and that is what started all this. Will attach my video.

… mp;list=UL

My videographer add no idea what she was in store for. My 14 year old son was my assistant. I was so nervous cutting the skin in the beginning, but when I got into the crop and during the stitching I was fine. The audio is really funny. Sylvia (the chicken) was sooo good. Today, several months later, she is back to normal and feeling great. Again, this is a last resort procedure. She would have starved to death if we had not cleared out this blockage. I credit her speedy recovery to not waiting until she was half dead to put her trough this. Having the right tools was also key.

Amazing. Simply amazing! I lost one of my favorite EE girls a couple of months ago to impacted crop...or possibly pendulous crop, it swung and dangled when she walked. If I'd have seen this video then, I might have been able to convince my DH to do this surgery on her.
sad.png

Fixing Gloria's Gang link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnY1kiX5H8&feature=autoplay&list=UL2lJ7VvkceWQ&index=1&playnext=1

What
brave souls you both are.!

Last edited:
I can't believe how much was in her. I just did 2 of these surgeries this week and I got a lot but not that much. I too need to remove the straw from the coop... why do they eat that stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom