In Praise of the Traditional Hanging Feeder

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I have a very ordinary, traditional, metal hanging feeder which is actually a bit larger than the current flock of 5 needs and I love it!

1604358730013-png.2396886

It holds a generous amount of feed, which flows down freely, and the bottom pan is deep enough that I only have to dump fines about once a month (I use them to make wet mash).

There is more than enough room for all birds to eat at once. Depending on size and flock dynamics, I think that 8-10 could comfortably eat at once from the size I have.

The feed doesn't come up high enough in the pan to be readily beaked out (there is a rolled lip), and I never find spilled feed on the ground unless I spill it myself while filling it.

The anti-roost cover keeps feed clean even when it's not hung in the shelter.

It can be hung or set on blocks.

It's built like a tank and I anticipate many years of service. Unlike my old, plastic hanging feeder, which would unscrew itself and fall apart periodically despite lock washers and Loctite, there is nothing that CAN come undone.

The only disadvantage is that it takes up a fair amount of space -- about one square foot.

I have two, a Little Giant 12 lb, nearly 5 years old and a Harris Farms 15 lb.
20201209_051302.jpg

Both are inside the coops.
I let them get nearly empty and clean every 1 to 3 months, depending on humidity in summer or dampness in cooler months.
Some feeds have molasses or more than 3% fat and require more frequent cleaning. GC

I have a very ordinary, traditional, metal hanging feeder which is actually a bit larger than the current flock of 5 needs and I love it!

1604358730013-png.2396886

It holds a generous amount of feed, which flows down freely, and the bottom pan is deep enough that I only have to dump fines about once a month (I use them to make wet mash).

There is more than enough room for all birds to eat at once. Depending on size and flock dynamics, I think that 8-10 could comfortably eat at once from the size I have.

The feed doesn't come up high enough in the pan to be readily beaked out (there is a rolled lip), and I never find spilled feed on the ground unless I spill it myself while filling it.

The anti-roost cover keeps feed clean even when it's not hung in the shelter.

It can be hung or set on blocks.

It's built like a tank and I anticipate many years of service. Unlike my old, plastic hanging feeder, which would unscrew itself and fall apart periodically despite lock washers and Loctite, there is nothing that CAN come undone.

The only disadvantage is that it takes up a fair amount of space -- about one square foot.
Thank you for this! I have your basic cheap plastic feeders that I got at Walmart. I have looked at the ones like you have and shudder at the price BECAUSE I have always wondered if it is worth it. I have no problem spending the money if something to totally worth it. (But lets face it, I HATE spending more for something that isn't worth the extra cost. ) Looks like I will be investing in one thanks to this thread.

Thank you for this! I have your basic cheap plastic feeders that I got at Walmart. I have looked at the ones like you have and shudder at the price BECAUSE I have always wondered if it is worth it. I have no problem spending the money if something to totally worth it. (But lets face it, I HATE spending more for something that isn't worth the extra cost. ) Looks like I will be investing in one thanks to this thread.

You're welcome!

Do your plastic feeders have that problem of the long bolt through the middle unscrewing itself? That used to drive me MAD.

They are definitely worth it. I have the large one inside the coop and the smaller version out in the run under a little cover so the feed can’t get wet.

They are definitely worth it. I have the large one inside the coop and the smaller version out in the run under a little cover so the feed can’t get wet.
Thanks. I only have a feeder inside. I have yet to figure out a way to hae one outside that isn't constantly full of dirt! And/or getting dumped because of the constant wind! Not to mention that IF it ever rains, it is often coming down sideways. And the "coop" is 12x12 and I only have 5 pullets so it isn't like space is short in there. And they choose to spend the majority of their time inside. (Weirdos! LOL)

Thanks. I only have a feeder inside. I have yet to figure out a way to hae one outside that isn't constantly full of dirt! And/or getting dumped because of the constant wind! Not to mention that IF it ever rains, it is often coming down sideways. And the "coop" is 12x12 and I only have 5 pullets so it isn't like space is short in there. And they choose to spend the majority of their time inside. (Weirdos! LOL)

This is the thread for my feeder/waterer shelter. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-feed-and-water-shelter.1426654/

It's weathered a number of severe storms with the feed staying nice and dry.

Back
Top Bottom