In Praise of the Traditional Hanging Feeder

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but I was happy to see it. We too have a large vintage metal hanging feeder for our 10 chickens that we really like. It was given to us by our neighbor from years ago when they had chickens and we kind of like it for that reason too. It has a deep trough that we don't notice the chickens billing feed out of, not at all like the plastic hanging feeder we used to have. What I wanted to ask, is, do you have any concerns about mice with your feeder? We know we have a few (probably more but we've only ever seen 1-3 at a time on our camera). I have read many threads about mice here and know we should probably get one of those Rat-Proof Feeders, but we really like the one we have! We are working on some elimination strategies (I know that sanitation and exclusion are the 2 first steps, and my husband really tried to build the run like Ft. Knox, but they just tunneled under the hardware cloth). We did once see a mouse in the feeder on the camera but I've never seen droppings in it and we moved it further from the wall after that (although I know they can jump). Also we occasionally get wild birds in it. (the feeder is in a small enclosed roofed run that has chicken access to the coop and to a larger, unroofed run). I know it's bad news to have mice and wild birds; we've already dealt with lice last year.
I guess I"m just wondering - have you found rodents or birds to be an issue or have you been able to keep them under control while keeping the feeder you like, if there is not much spillage on the ground?

Attachments

• feeder.jpg
    feeder.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I have two, a Little Giant 12 lb, nearly 5 years old and a Harris Farms 15 lb.View attachment 2581876
Both are inside the coops.
I let them get nearly empty and clean every 1 to 3 months, depending on humidity in summer or dampness in cooler months.
Some feeds have molasses or more than 3% fat and require more frequent cleaning. GC
I have my feeder set up very similar to this and my new flock of chickens don't like to eat from it at all. :/ I noticed very quickly that the food just wasn't being eaten and now we go out to feed them twice a day.

I have my feeder set up very similar to this and my new flock of chickens don't like to eat from it at all. :/ I noticed very quickly that the food just wasn't being eaten and now we go out to feed them twice a day.

No healthy animal will starve itself in the presence of food.

Your previous setup may have allowed far more waste than you realized. :D

Back
Top Bottom