New Feed and Water Shelter

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
It's one thing for chickens in the North Carolina Sandhills to occasionally knock over the waterer in the coop during the summer when the worst that can happen is that the bedding gets stinky and I have to change it too soon. It's another for them to knock it over when arguing over their roosting arrangements on a night that threatens frost.

I needed to get the food and water out of the coop for space reasons anyway and prodded DH to build the feeder/waterer shelter I'd sketched out a while back today since he was off and had no other projects scheduled.

It's not a thing of beauty, being intentionally made of the lower-grade scrap lumber and a few other random things we had lying around the property, but it should do the job nicely.

1604358362463.png

1604358616421.png

1604358730013.png

The spacious and sheltered feed and water arrangements are flock-approved.

Attachments

• 1604358620040.png
    1604358620040.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 1604358732075.png
    1604358732075.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
The shelter was tested by nearly 4 inches of rain over the last 2 days. Not blowing sideways, but pouring down in torrents that created serious flash-flooding.

I ran my hands through the feed to the bottom this morning and found it quite dry.
That's great!
I wondered with the feeder so close to the side.

Do you leave the feed out at night, or lock it away? Sorry, first time chicken owner.

I free feed, leaving the feed out in the shelter at all times.

I have not had a rodent problem or a bear problem (*probably* no bears in my area), to cause me to put the feed away at night. Other people do put it away every night -- according to the situation. :)

I free feed, leaving the feed out in the shelter at all times.

I have not had a rodent problem or a bear problem (*probably* no bears in my area), to cause me to put the feed away at night. Other people do put it away every night -- according to the situation. :)
Okay thanks. We’ve got skunks and raccoons in my neighbourhood, so I’m trying to attract as little attention as possible.

Back
Top Bottom