Incubating Dirty eggs/eggs from the fridge

Maleficent265

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Hey guys! My rooster went down unexpectedly today and I was going to try and panic hatch the last clutch to try and get another rooster. I need every last leghorn egg I can get and even debated on pulling some from my fridge šŸ˜‚

are the two gross eggs in the picture below okay to hatch? Annnnd I was joking about the fridge thing but no seriously is that an option? Iā€™m desperate.

Attachments

• 1819E97B-3E08-4676-BB7B-B2F4831C75E1.jpeg
    1819E97B-3E08-4676-BB7B-B2F4831C75E1.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 33
Hey guys! My rooster went down unexpectedly today and I was going to try and panic hatch the last clutch to try and get another rooster. I need every last leghorn egg I can get and even debated on pulling some from my fridge šŸ˜‚

are the two gross eggs in the picture below okay to hatch? Annnnd I was joking about the fridge thing but no seriously is that an option? Iā€™m desperate.
Some people actually claim they get batter hatch rates from refrigerated eggs. It is for sure an option. Eggs over a week old don't have as good hatch rates, but its for sure worth a try. You'll have to see who the fresh eggs, Vs. refrigerated eggs hatch! :)
If you've seen the threads about people incubating grocery store eggs, those can hatch as well. I would put them in, you never know.
As for the dirty ones, I would probably try to gently wipe them off, but not wash them.

I'm very sorry of the loss of your rooster, it sounds like you loved him very much. :hugs:hugs

I'd say it's definitely worth trying to incubate refrigerated eggs - I've posted about my experience with washed and refrigerated eggs here.

ETA: that sentence posted before I was ready. I wanted to add that I would personally skip washing in favor of preserving the bloom, but there's always debate about the risks of setting dirty eggs. Best of luck!!

Also adding that those eggs don't look too bad to me - you should see the duck eggs I set! :gig

Last edited:
Iā€™ve incubated eggs that had been in the fridge for a couple of days before. Two out of the three hatched, a very positive experience for me. You should definitely give it a try! I think a little dirt shouldnā€™t hurt the eggs, though I do suggest doing what @FoodFreedomNow recommended.

Some people actually claim they get batter hatch rates from refrigerated eggs. It is for sure an option. Eggs over a week old don't have as good hatch rates, but its for sure worth a try. You'll have to see who the fresh eggs, Vs. refrigerated eggs hatch! :)
If you've seen the threads about people incubating grocery store eggs, those can hatch as well. I would put them in, you never know.
As for the dirty ones, I would probably try to gently wipe them off, but not wash them.

I'm very sorry of the loss of your rooster, it sounds like you loved him very much. :hugs:hugs
Okay! Thank you! Iā€™ll try to get some of the nasty off the eggs and pull the refrigerated ones out.

My rooster is hanging on by a thread and is in quarantine... Iā€™m thinking it was an attack of some sort that I missed. He came out of the coop like that this morning and weā€™re doing what we can but at this point I think just keeping him comfortable is the best option. I donā€™t have high hopes. I have a love-hate relationship with him. Heā€™s never liked me much but overall heā€™s a really good boy and has given me plenty of memories (and chicks.) Iā€™ll definitely be sad to see him go and itā€™s looking like he will by tomorrow.

I'd say it's definitely worth trying to incubate refrigerated eggs - I've posted about my experience with washed and refrigerated eggs here.

ETA: that sentence posted before I was ready. I wanted to add that I would personally skip washing in favor of preserving the bloom, but there's always debate about the risks of setting dirty eggs. Best of luck!!

Also adding that those eggs don't look too bad to me - you should see the duck eggs I set! :gig
Oh okay! So this is fine? These arenā€™t that bad? I usually set the cleanest of clean and the ones that come out like that, I just donā€™t bother with... Do you think I should set those?

Okay! Thank you! Iā€™ll try to get some of the nasty off the eggs and pull the refrigerated ones out.

My rooster is hanging on by a thread and is in quarantine... Iā€™m thinking it was an attack of some sort that I missed. He came out of the coop like that this morning and weā€™re doing what we can but at this point I think just keeping him comfortable is the best option. I donā€™t have high hopes. I have a love-hate relationship with him. Heā€™s never liked me much but overall heā€™s a really good boy and has given me plenty of memories (and chicks.) Iā€™ll definitely be sad to see him go and itā€™s looking like he will by tomorrow.
Aww, Iā€™m sorry.:hit:hit:hit:hugs

Iā€™ve incubated eggs that had been in the fridge for a couple of days before. Two out of the three hatched, a very positive experience for me. You should definitely give it a try! I think a little dirt shouldnā€™t hurt the eggs, though I do suggest doing what @FoodFreedomNow recommended.
The eggs from the fridge were put in there on maybe Tuesday? So, three days I think? I pulled them out to warm up and Iā€™ll give it a try. Thank you!

One of my EE eggs I set was so cold it felt nearly frozen. I mark that on the egg so Iā€™d remember which one it was. It hatched!

I was also told by my grand-in-law that they got a 95% + hatch rate on turkey eggs that had been in the fridge for at least a week.

If I were you Iā€™d definitely give the eggs a go!

It is OK to Incubate the Fridged egg.
actually the best way to keep the egg before putting it to the incubator is to store it on 12.78 degree celcius or 55 Fahrenheit. and 75% relative humidity
Before you put on the Incubator you need to warm it slowly for 6 to 8 hours around room temperature or warmer, but below the incubator temperature

Back
Top Bottom