Incubating Swan Eggs

So how are the eggs? Just thought I should let you know that I am always willing to buy cygnets if you decide to part with them, which I am sure won't happen!

Unfortunately, they didn't make it
hit.gif
I knew I'd get my hopes up. I was so excited :( Everything was going so well. A couple days ago I noticed one of the eggs started to have an off odor to it upon turning. So I checked, but the embryo was moving around inside and I didn't think much of it. This egg was very muddy, more than the usual swan egg dirt I've seen. It had leaves stuck all over it and I didn't want to bother to remove the leaves or clean it. I wanted to leave as much of the bloom on (which is very thick on swan eggs, what I was assuming was bloom). The leaves were like cemented on and the lady did say they had been in the nest for a little while.The other egg was fine. I transferred them into the R-Com incubator and candled two days later. The stinky egg looked all floaty and wasn't completely dark like it was. All the dark areas settled and floated to one side. I knew right away that it was a goner. So I removed it and opened it up. Of course it stunk and the embryo passed. The embryo looked like it recently died and looked normal and on track with development, but the rest of the egg contents did not look good. It was very cloudy looking and stinky. So I'm thinking a bacterial infection? The next day I lost the other. Which did not stink like the first. Not sure if something went wrong with transferring them into the R-Com or bacteria or what. But they both died at the same time. I've only candled about once a week. With candling the second egg the next day after losing the 1st as the only exception. I've really washed my hands before turning them. The Genesis incubator worked great but temps did vary. The R-Com has been running a little warm . I have it set at 99.5 and my Brinsea Spot Check thermometer reads 100.5. Not sure which to go by? Or if that would even affect them much?

Anyways, I'm so disappointed. No one really sells swan eggs and don't think I'll find anymore this year. I can definitely see these being much harder to hatch than goose eggs. And I'd want to incubate more than two at a time for better chances. I know there are people out there that don't want anymore cygnets or if things aren't going exactly as planned with the pair, so they are willing to sell eggs. And I'm crazy enough to buy
wink.png
With shipping the swan eggs, I had a good experience.They arrived in great condition. Air cells looked great. I'll try again next year I hope, if I find someone who is willing to sell eggs. Not an easy task gathering swan eggs. Now I'm really determined to attempt this again. But I'm an incubating nut :) I want to hatch my own swan and raise from baby. That's just how I roll :) My geese were super friendly because of that. They were use to people being their leader. Except during breeding season. If I find more swan eggs, I'm putting them right into the R-Com so the machine can do all the turning for me. I'll just cool them every night.

And if I did manage to hatch out two cygnets, I would've given you one Blue Creek Farm! Since they were related, I would've only kept the one and found an unrelated mate for the one I kept. I have a huge empty pond all for them :( Oh well. I really want to try again in the future. Sorry it didn't work out guys
hmm.png

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I can't help much with that, but when I incubate ornamental duck eggs, there are some that start turning blackish and stinky and the embryo dies inside the egg. So it could possibly be something bacterial related. I think that perhaps with the eggs being so dirty that it might have affected things. But I am just guessing about that. I hope you can find more and eventually hatch some cygnets.

You offer was very nice! No need to apologize for the eggs not hatching. Things like this happen and we just learn from these things.

They are so elegant and beautiful! So they do just fine in a pond of that size (what is the exact dimensions too?)? And how deep is it? Do the swans chase the ducks out of the water or stuff like that?

Sorry I am just wondering if I would be able to keep swans in with my ducks.

I thought that Australian Black Swans would not be as aggresive, and I read somewhere that Mute Swans will attack other white birds, which I have plenty of...

thats not true in my opinion blacks are worse the will attack u sometimes i would wait till u fins some mutes i love my pair i was scared at first
but they never attack anything there are some pairs of mutes that are mean i got lucky and got a nice pair

Back
Top Bottom