Incubating Swan Eggs

hi there, i found an egg which is a big size matching a swan and it was in a path way with no nest near and no birds at all, i assumed some kids has taken it out the nest and got caught so left the egg were they could find it late. Well i collected the egg to return it but was unable to due to no nests any were so i decided i would take it home and try to help as it was freezing cold, i borrowed and incubator and read about incubating it and the temperature so i brought the correct bulb and it has been incubating for 8 days, i have misted it every day and on the 4Th day allowed it to have the 15 Min's cool down time, 2 nights i wanted to see if it was alive or not and inside was a dark shadow on the one side with a pinky colour on the top. The following night (last night) i wanted to show my mother so i was not seeing things and she confirmed there was something there but it seemed to have grown almost double the size from the 2 nights before i don't handle it but do turn it slightly every night as i have read alot about this but am cautious still, is this ok? do you think there is a baby inside as I'm hoping there is and am not sure if its a goose or swan egg but have been told its a swan egg and am being told now that i can be charged for incubating it :S I'm only trying to give it a chance that someone else tried taking away and wanted to know if I'm doing it correctly, thank you for reading Tanya p.s this is my very 1st time and no one else has ever done this before so any help and advice would be appreciated

hi there, i found an egg which is a big size matching a swan and it was in a path way with no nest near and no birds at all, i assumed some kids has taken it out the nest and got caught so left the egg were they could find it late. Well i collected the egg to return it but was unable to due to no nests any were so i decided i would take it home and try to help as it was freezing cold, i borrowed and incubator and read about incubating it and the temperature so i brought the correct bulb and it has been incubating for 8 days, i have misted it every day and on the 4Th day allowed it to have the 15 Min's cool down time, 2 nights i wanted to see if it was alive or not and inside was a dark shadow on the one side with a pinky colour on the top. The following night (last night) i wanted to show my mother so i was not seeing things and she confirmed there was something there but it seemed to have grown almost double the size from the 2 nights before i don't handle it but do turn it slightly every night as i have read alot about this but am cautious still, is this ok? do you think there is a baby inside as I'm hoping there is and am not sure if its a goose or swan egg but have been told its a swan egg and am being told now that i can be charged for incubating it :S I'm only trying to give it a chance that someone else tried taking away and wanted to know if I'm doing it correctly, thank you for reading Tanya p.s this is my very 1st time and no one else has ever done this before so any help and advice would be appreciated 

Can you take a pic of the egg? Even a candling photo? If you study it while candling, you may be able to see movement if it's alive.

I just got a new black swan cygnet or juvenile
sorry know the picture ain't the best

Last edited:
Wow, Dylan I love you duck house......

We hatched out 3 swans this year, sad to say two babies died...... Hatched in May 1 died in June another 4 days ago, everything is a learning process, See if you swans will build a nest....... Let her do all the work, She will teach them everything , just separate to pinion them....... Not to hard we do donuts three days old, Where are you located??

Thanks
Amber

i am in south georgia and a update the royal mute swans are doing great . we now have a pair of black swans one being in the picture above and a pair of black cyngnets.

Hello-

I know this post is about a year old, but I too would like to get some swan eggs to incubate. I have a Grumbach incubator from Germany and it's the ones zoos use for all of their intensive needs. I also have experience raising them up from cygnets as well. Do you all know where I could get a few? Species doesn't matter but I love black australians! I am located in Orlando, FL and would travel for the right eggs.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Taylor, PhD
Cell: 407-810-8702

Back
Top Bottom