INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[COLOR=5E5E5E]Good morning @Sally Sunshine [/COLOR] [COLOR=5E5E5E] [/COLOR] [COLOR=5E5E5E]5 Guests[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Chaos18 DuckGirl77 Duckies Girls attimus daxigait mlm Mike [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]
morning
1f64b.png
Mornin Zach
So if you do, what you think will happen to a turtle egg that in middle incubation is being taken out of its temp?
Transgender?
mornin!
Huge! Normal is about 110 grams. -Kathy
two yolk candle?

I just found this huge egg in the nesting box from one of my sexlinks and the egg on the left is from her sister another sexlink that I hope you can see he tape measures next to it to really see how big it is. :eek:

all I did was remove the top layer of soil without messing up the two eggs.there not in the wild there in a outdoor pen from my two box turtles.and the wood duck eggs is the only one.it's not under a hen it's in my room on a heating pad.something had gotten in my wood duck box and are all except one and I think the hen too
There are many reasons not to disturb the soil covering a turtle nest. I'll touch on the most important ones.
These are not poultry eggs and shouldn't be treated as such.
Uncovering the eggs, even if not handled, can dramatically change the temperature and interrupt proper development.
High humidity must be maintained. Uncovering the eggs will dry them out and they will start to collapse which will doom them.
More importantly, turtle eggs have a scent that attracts predators. By uncovering the eggs, you bring that scent to the surface. Don't be surprised if mice or fire ants can now find the nest and eat the eggs. If raccoons can get into your pen, they'll be the most likely thing to eat them.
The best you can do is to cover the nest with fresh soil/sand of the same consistency as the original and pour water on the nest to carry the scent down and rehydrate the substrate.
Then build a hardware cloth cage to cover the nest that can keep raccoons out and possibly mice out but still allow the turtles to emerge. Nothing will keep ants out.
The cage will have another important benefit. It will keep you out.

Box turtles numbers are dwindling rapidly. A recent study in Louisiana found that 30,000 box turtles were taken from the wild over the course of 41 months. It’s believed that half of all box turtles taken from the wild quickly die due to poor living conditions.

I think I give up.

And how the heck have I still not said?! The black chick is not mine. It is a pullet (looks like it to me) so ... Ugh! I can't keep it. I have too many pullets as it is!
You can have too many roosters but you can never have too many pullets.

Well done.

I couldn't resist. I started getting about one a week and I just had to try. Any statistics on when they usually die? Or does it vary? This/these are day 10.
You could resist, you didn't want to.

They die either when there isn't enough nutrition left to support 2 embryos or they run out of space and can't move.

deserve what? It makes sense now at least
cool.png
It does help to see it in chronological order.

lol.png
I said I understand being annoyed. I could tell you what the jerk yesterday put me through. But, I never once told him how I felt. I just ignored it.
You are strong.

My dozen also due on the 4th.
I have a few due in 6 days.

Seth, I'm glad you thought that was funny! I felt if the WHOLE story of your Wood Duck egg was in one place, people would stop telling you to "put it back under the broody." That was starting to really bother me. Hope everyone understands better now.
bow.gif

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine, yes, two yolk candle.

-Kathy
i saw lol. Big breakfast

watcha got to set?

mornin stranger. U remember when I set ducks I forgot to add to calendar doh

6/2
danke.

I just found this huge egg in the nesting box from one of my sexlinks and the egg on the left is from her sister another sexlink that I hope you can see he tape measures next to it to really see how big it is. :eek:
ouchies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom