INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know!!! But still what good is a call when you have no idea of what they are saying!! n when he was here last night he had his head in his cell and was mumbling to me again, so I of course was all Mother on him lmao!!! awwwww they love their daddo! Your hands are never too full for your kiddos QUOTE] Yea! I am not great with computers lol
hey guys i have an egg with an air sac on the side 0QUOTE] Just leave it be, the chick is probably twisted in there, if it pips you'll want to keep an eye on it and you can assist if it's pipped and it's been a really long time, there are a lot of posts here on proper ways to do this but no intervention is best!
I pray it works! @runt325 you need to go back and read about the cocci meds. I first would keep them in the brooder and give them electrolytes, you say week old chicks they need 90 temp at one corner of the brooder to get warm and then the rest of the brooder should be cooler, FREE OF DRAFTS. DO NOT put them outside yet, give them at least two more weeks before you put them out during the day. I do not think you have worms, cocci perhaps. If they have runny poop try giving them PLAIN Yogurt, or if you have probiotics give them that. or Pumpkin. Not too much pumpkin just a little.
Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks 2 C. Water 2 TBL. Brown Sugar, honey or molasses 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda​
Mix until all dry ingredients dissolve & Keep refrigerated​
You could also use electrolyte drinks Gatorade or Pedialyte, or​
3 drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins)​
Slowly drip along inner edge of lower beak.​
PLEASE READ
How To Raise Baby Chicks
[COLOR=008080]All about COCCI Prevention Vaccines TREATMENTS Poo Samples [/COLOR]post #70896
Good advice I agree, they just need to be off the ground and treated for any ailments and then kept according to their age requirements. Chicks you see running around on farms are with their mothers who protect them from predation, temperature and illness by sharing their immunities in their own poop. Mother hens do a good job. But human raised chicks need to be in a different set up :-/
From yesterday and today: -Kathy
so cute!

watcha got to set?
some more hona and Hmong and some cemani/Hmong crosses should be headed out in the mail tomorrow
1f602.png

@kwhites634 Did your broody ever go back? Good luck fishing.
@Fire Ant Farm Sorry about the pullet.
@ChickenCanoe I liked your carving. Talk about patience.
@Jessimom Happy Belated Birthday!
celebrate.gif

\

Does anyone have any ideas how to attach the top of the hardware cloth?
You cant put anything through there because of the window slide.

It wasn't my patience. I kept thinking I was done. Gedion and especially Royal continued to insist I keep working. They were right. I didn't know I could get that rough rock so smooth.

Perhaps wrap the wire all the way around or build another frame larger than that space with the hardware cloth around it and attach that.

Thx for your reply ..... forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why do I need to increase humidity? My air cells are tiny because my humidity has been too high for almost the entire hatch. I was told to take all the water out of the bator, so that's what I did. I can re-post the picture of the air cells if you want me to.

Because no matter how much moisture has been lost, upon hatching, low humidity will still shrink wrap the chick.

That's why I use a scale rather than a hygrometer to determine proper weight loss. I stumbled upon this cause the eggs are too dark to candle. Different eggs may require different humidity. The scale doesn't lie.

Guess who's firing the incubator back up tomorrow
1f64a.png
You turned it off?
cool.png

I thought about it, but I can see two yolks, so I'd hate to sentence two chicks to death.

-Kathy

thumbsup.gif

It wasn't my patience. I kept thinking I was done. Gedion and especially Royal continued to insist I keep working. They were right. I didn't know I could get that rough rock so smooth.

Perhaps wrap the wire all the way around or build another frame larger than that space with the hardware cloth around it and attach that.

Because no matter how much moisture has been lost, upon hatching, low humidity will still shrink wrap the chick.

That's why I use a scale rather than a hygrometer to determine proper weight loss. I stumbled upon this cause the eggs are too dark to candle. Different eggs may require different humidity. The scale doesn't lie.

You turned it off? :cool:

:thumbsup

Clever
1f60f.png

not sure but have you tried to file with usps for late? They did go priority? Did you see my post to you? How to request eggs.

I saw that post and did a lot of research before I ordered. Just frustrated with a poor hatch I guess. My goal this summer is to close my flock and only raise my own for awhile. I want 3 more quail types before I do. i might have to just set a couple hundred eggs and get it over with.

I saw that post and did a lot of research before I ordered. Just frustrated with a poor hatch I guess. My goal this summer is to close my flock and only raise my own for awhile. I want 3 more quail types before I do. i might have to just set a couple hundred eggs and get it over with.
I understand your frustration. I ordered 24 eggs (received 30), and hatched 13. Two died after hatching. I wanted a decent sized flock with good selection for breeding next spring, so I ordered 24 more, hoping I'd have better luck the 2nd time. The eggs arrived in rough shape, and after sending 10 to lockdown... only 2 hatched. 2 out of 30 is a horrible hatch, but I knew the risk of ordering shipped eggs. Rough handling was the main cause of so many deaths. It's always a gamble with shipped eggs.

I thought about it, but I can see two yolks, so I'd hate to sentence two chicks to death.

-Kathy
That's a good reason! I'd be scared to death to incubate a double yolker!

I give up.... Dang ap. Morning yall
Mornin', Sally!

OK, thanks! I totally forgot about that. How high should the humidity be?

What kind of scale do you use? I'd like to try that next hatch; I think it's kinda late with this one.

OK, thanks! I totally forgot about that. How high should the humidity be?

What kind of scale do you use? I'd like to try that next hatch; I think it's kinda late with this one.
Well over 50%. Depending on the accuracy of your hygrometer, you may want to shoot for 60-70%. However, since your eggs have lost so little moisture, it may mean your hygrometer is reading way low.

I just have a small pocket gram scale.
http://www.miniinthebox.com/popular/mini-digital-pocket-scales.html
If you use a larger scale you can weigh a dozen at a time but be careful. The last 2 kitchen scales I bought were very inaccurate for small weights.
It's best to weigh the eggs the day they are laid and then track loss because weight loss will happen prior to incubation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom