INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NZs' are just sour that they're smaller than us! Hahaha jks pls don't hurt me sister country, you make good cheese.
I just figured the Aussies were sour because the NZ's had the All Blacks
lau.gif

Quote: it was the entire underside of the wood shed. guessing 14x30 I had two peas and 4 ringnecks way plenty of room

Quote: Mine either!!!! whats with that!

Hi everyone:) Just came on last night to look up the assisted hatching page ... I have just been through the incubation of 12 buff sussex eggs bought online and shipped ... yeah ok so everyone shudders but with the help of Sally's page it went pretty well, total of 8 chicks, two of which were in trouble and needed help and one of which was simply late and needed the advice on checking from the bubble end and leaving well enough alone! and I just came back to thank Sally and everyone else who has posted stuff on the subject for some very helpful info that saved those three chicks.

I do see the difference in shipped eggs alright ... although 11 were fertile, two died around 7 days along, and seriously those saddle shaped bubbles bothered me terribly ... I thought I'd done something horrible to them with the humidity! I wish I'd seen the page on incubating shipped eggs first.

In the hatch, 6 hatched themselves all normally, but one died only a couple of hours old (I think he got trampled, I heard him crying and found him flattish and sad, and no amount of cuddling and TLC did him any good he only lasted a half hour past that).

The last three eggs were at day 22.5, two with huge holes and signs of sticking to their membranes, one small pip looking pretty normal, all pipped at the wrong end. After reading the assisted hatching guide I checked their bubble ends, decided the third little pipped one wasn't ripe, but the other two were, and began to slowly ease their shells away little by little every couple of hours over night (seriously my alarm clock is tired).

Those two definitely wouldn't have made it, one was in the wrong position (his head was behind a leg and nowhere near any wings, and he couldn't move and was tiring himself out), and the other was stuck. I had to damp his membrane and peel it all off him.

The third hatched himself in the small hours of the morning. I'm glad I left him be, he's perfectly healthy.

The help-ees are slightly weak and wobbly but improving now, and I think they will be fine. One is having some issues with "which way is up?" and "where should I be in relation to that?", but I've helped him out a few times and he's trying valiantly to stay right way up, and tipping over less often.

The one that was badly positioned has a slightly stiff leg and is sort of stuck in a curve, a little hunchback, but is slowly unbending.

So thanks everyone and particularly Sally for two very informative pages (Namely the assisted hatching and the shipped eggs page), I'm sure those have saved thousands of other chicks as well!
Your Very welcome @Ebarnes-21 Congrats thats a good hatch for shipped eggs! malpositions are from the no turning, but the alternative is DIS early so you at least give them a chance! if you need any chick help if they have any issues see the notes section or stop in and ask away anytime! NOTES LINKS & Informational POST LINKS - BackYard Chickens Community
MC.... No not just getting used to the meds..... I've got lingering chest congestion...... And I'm a severe asthmatic so kinda sucks. At least my lungs aren't spasming.... But I feel like I'm drowning
I feel your pain, in the past year I have issues with my right lung. dependent atelectasis I am fine unless I get a cold, then Im screwed and put down for quite a while.

I had one of those once, in my left wrist. Was in a brace forever it felt like.
uqgtgcduqxtwwpvrurst.gif

Made the mistake of laying back down. Now we're running late.
Sounds like a silly thing to have done.

I just turned them all out together; should be interesting.

Free ranging is kind of like neutral territory for birds so there shouldn't be any major problems. Everybody will have lots of space to avoid each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom