INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting 'til warmer weather; ain't real fond of brooding month-old chicks in the house.  Besides, I'm hoping to find some local BCM eggs; love those super brown eggs, though I know they're a bear to hatch.

I've got 1.5 week olds down to 5 day olds in my master bathroom tub and I'm kicking them out to their brooder coop this weekend when it's supposed to be in the upper 40's. No way they are staying in here up to a month lol. Then I'll bleach the tub so I can have it ready for this next group of chicks in a few weeks. Not sure if I will do this again next winter. Wait? Who am I kidding?! Ok maybe.
1f609.png

Quote: I found it at about a week into incubation (will take pics). I can feed it, just not sure I want to. Do you show you pigeons?

-Kathy
No I don't show, they are for us to watch fly here at the house.

@scottcaddy , fyi, there are two big time (to me) pigeon breeders up the road from me.

-Kathy
I seen your post about adding hay for the nest, if you find the other egg, just put yours with the other one and all should be good to go.
Good luck with it!
Scott

I know where the nest is, but it's so poorly made that the eggs keep rolling out. Will try to fix it today, 'cause they will do a much better job raising it than I can.

It's DeCarlo and Heppner's that live up the street. They used to have thousands of pigeons, but lost a bunch in a fire.

-Kathy

I have never had duck or geese but man, that looks yummmmmy

If you ever get the chance, remember this advice. Never cook it over Medium. My family and I prefer seared to Medium Rare. You can't get me to choke down a fully cooked waterfowl!!! Eva!!! Tastes like @$$...... But medium rare is awesome, completely different cut of meat believe it or not.

I forgot to mention Sandhills Cranes. They are phenomenal, rating up and maybe surpassing the Specks. We kill quite a few of them too. Never pass them up over the decoy spread.

Did you try to stew them in a long and slow coocking?

Last edited:
Well I think my chick is gone for good. No sign of her this morning still and there was a **** stray cat in the yard. You guys think a cat could take a 2 month chick? My cats have never been interested in them, so I didn't even consider it.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Now we're getting somewhere!
highfive.gif
What's everyone have in the bator?

I've got 12 self blue Cochin bantams (shipped) day 3 (going to candle today to see how many are viable).... And 18 eggs arriving in the mail tomorrow
1f604.png
I started with 16 (14 Dominiques and 2 BCM) at day 10 I pitched 1 clear Dom so I'm down to 15 eggs. Will candle tonight for day 14 and hopefully go into lockdown with 15 eggs on Saturday.

Has anyone seen the show Fatal Attractions? It is crazy what people keep as pets. And I go into lockdown on Thursday!
Yes and I go into lockdown saturday.

I've got 1.5 week olds down to 5 day olds in my master bathroom tub and I'm kicking them out to their brooder coop this weekend when it's supposed to be in the upper 40's. No way they are staying in here up to a month lol. Then I'll bleach the tub so I can have it ready for this next group of chicks in a few weeks. Not sure if I will do this again next winter. Wait? Who am I kidding?! Ok maybe.
1f609.png
I've got a shower stall in the basement I've been thinking about using as a winter brooder.

hugs.gif
mornin darling. I figured since you've been complaining about your driving conditions being to optimal I would send some your way just to spice up your day. No need to thank me.
hugs.gif
ok I wont

I have read just about everything I could find written by Mz. Sunshine
1f60a.png

I followed the NYE hatch along as a total lurker. I'm just wondering if shipping ground across country is customary and if there is anything different I need to consider when resting them...after possibly 47 people that don't care they're precious eggs, handle them
@gotro17 total lurker? you had no questions ?
idunno.gif
you have a name you want us to call you by or just gotro?

Quote: @gotro17 your situation is going to be different because of the length of time en-route. Its best to candle your eggs upright dont teeter totter them to candle, mark air cells and set them, age is a factor so set them few hours after you get them when they are room temperature so they dont condensate. Set upright and the loose air cells do so without turning or tilting them. I would start gently side to side tilt only the good eggs after the first 12 hours in the bator. whatever you do, keep the whacked air cells upright even during candle, dont turn them and tilt them for sake of looking into them. I would forget about candling until day 10 and over them in the bator. day 10 pull dead or clears. if your not sure keep them in after giving them a sniff.

As eggs age the ph in the albumen and tons of other things change in these eggs. sounds like these will have pretty big air cells to boot. Make sure your thermo/hygros are calibrated, heat at 100-100.5 fan model, and you may have to run a bit more humidity but you wont know that until you get your eggs. Hope this makes sense, I have a heck of a headache today so trying to kick it out, sorry I wasnt on earlier. Chicks are always an option too by the way. you can spend tons more on several batches of eggs shipped AND TIME? when those chicks could be growing out already. sometimes chicks are the best way to go if possible.
INCUBATION
NEW TO INCUBATION SEE: Hatching Eggs 101 & reply to post #113
Shipped Eggs = Change Of Plans! post #23032 & Hatching Eggs 101
SEVERELY Shipped and DAMAGED POLISH EGGS! post #30250
What is actually the first day of incubation and how to figure out hatch dates: start post #17502
Figure out your hatch times Hatch / Egg Turning Chart http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/hatchchart/hatchturnscheentry.php
LINKS TO POST RESULTS ROUND OVAL = FEMALE MALE EGGS
post #7595
A great place to find eggs CHEAP! post #7755
Julian date is the date they were packaged. It is a 3 digit number eggs sell by dates chart post #27571 post #27580
Hatch / Egg Turning Chart click HERE: Hatch Chart Schedule
Setting Chicken Eggs by the Moon's Sign farmers Almanac see HERE
Hatchabatch AP Keeping track of your hatch! see here
Embryonic Development, Day by Day IMAGES/info on vitellus internalization click HERE
GREAT all around DUCK incubation methods https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs (Muscovy~ yinepu) @yinepu
Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks provides vital information for anyone wanting to keep ducks. HERE
Printable Month Calendar This app can be used to generate a planning calendar for a selected month and year.
HOW to figure out HATCH RATE post #4601
approach for incubating in the winter post #24433
Fertility CALCULATIONS a clear egg not always infert! post #25419 post #25571 post #25639 post #25652 post #25658 results post #25669
incubation process / Hatching video Hatching of Parrot (Rcom MAX 20) post #25780 another vid post #25793
UPDATE:

I have pulled extremely helpful NOTES, LINKS &

Informational Post Links from this entire thread

for EVERYONE'S convenience and will continue to put them HERE:

Quote: yes please @Chaos18 where was I?

Just ask the lady who had her face chewed off by her "pet" chimp.
had to bring that up didncha

Maybe we need a chicken related update?
I think a bunch of us have eggs sitting in there brewing, not much to discuss with mine, they still look like eggs and all seems stable

I found an ice cold pigeon egg and stuck it in the incubator two days ago and it's still alive!

-Kathy
pigeon? this is gonna be fun!

@Sally Sunshine

I'm on day 3.5, I started to turn yesterday once day 3 was complete. Some of the eggs darkened up, but this is the only one that has veins and a heartbeat.

These little bantam eggs were each wrapped in a paper towel, then put in a Styrofoam egg carton and put in a box with crumpled up news paper on top and bottom, but the eggs were so small the paper towel didn't stop them from wiggling.
@Saris someone needs a lesson on shipping, you all need to ask how you want your eggs and its worth it to pay a bit more to get them
REQUEST HOW TO GET SHIPPED EGGS PEOPLE post #1050

I know where the nest is, but it's so poorly made that the eggs keep rolling out. Will try to fix it today, 'cause they will do a much better job raising it than I can.

It's DeCarlo and Heppner's that live up the street. They used to have thousands of pigeons, but lost a bunch in a fire.

-Kathy

Birds in general are so dusty, that a fire is always just waiting to happen. About like a horse barn with hay and bedding all over the place, hard to keep clean is a understatement!
I hope that you can fix the nest!
Scott

I am I sooo nervous. My friend gave me a legbar to hatch since she hasn't got one too make it. Any recommendations for legbar eggs?
I have no experience with legbar eggs, but I would think it should be same proceedure as any average egg... normal temp and humidity. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny this? If it doesn't make it, you won't be any worse off than she's been with her eggs. Sorry I can't do more... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom