INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now getting all my bits in order and glad to see it matches up for the most part
I've had grandiose plans for a long time. Although the STC-1000 was bought accidentally by the wife
yesss.gif

That would have been me. This isn't based on any scientific study but experience. This is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt. A lot of people like calm, friendly, docile, pet type chicken breeds because they only consider their own personal relationship with their chickens rather than the chickens' relationship with their world at large. Most people refer to Mediterranean and other breeds as flighty. IMO, they construe that to mean that they can and will fly over fences and are a bit unpredictable. However, what these breeds really are; wary, alert, quick, agile, able to fend for themselves, etc.. After about 30 or so breeds of chickens, I must say that before I kept Mediterranean breeds other than large laying flocks of Leghorn hens, I lost birds to hawks and other daytime predators - including foxes, coyotes, etc.. Granted those birds were mostly meat and DP breeds like Freedom Rangers, Orps, Wyandottes, etc.. It wasn't till I kept a Black Penedesenca rooster with each free range flock that I was able to forget worries about hawks. I have also kept Minorcas, Anconas, Leghorns, Sicilian Buttercups, etc. When I'm in a building among the chickens, I'll hear the roosters make that aerial predator call and I'll step outside to see what's up. I'll see the last of the hens running for cover. Some run into the coop, but most head into the underbrush. The roosters don't run. In the various runs or out in the field, the roosters are all standing like statues facing one direction. I'll look around and only after all this, do I see the hawk/s coming. They are so alert with such good eyesight, they see them coming long before I could. Usually, the hawks chicken out and don't dive. When they do, I've seen the rooster leap and fly timed to the hawk's dive, take the hawk down and slowly stride back to his flock. The first time I witnessed it, I missed the conflict but saw the rooster walking away and a pile of feathers on the ground and I was sure the hawk had killed a hen. There was red around but later I saw that the red was leaves (autumn). Then the feathers started moving. The hawk staggered to its feet, walked a bit and finally flew off. So, again anecdotally, I think that most large Med breeds would have what it takes to do the job. Maybe not Anconas, Leghorns or Buttercups because they're smaller but Andalusians, Catalanas, Empordanesas and black Penes (blacks are larger than the other 3 varieties) have the size and agility to meet the challenge. I'm sure there are other breeds that can do so as well. I'm thinking Shamo, Malay, La Flèche, Hamburg, Cubalaya and although smaller, I think Fayoumi would fit that mold. As for flightiness, I think it is a misnomer in most cases. Most of the flighty breeds are just aloof and adverse to all things not chicken, not necessarily fliers. The Black Penedesencas will stay inside a 3' fence. (they may crawl under it but only go over if pressed by a predator) I often keep a flock of roosters inside a 2' fence.
Gamebirds are good for this too. There's a few pictures floating around the internet. My jjkelso likes to chase coyotes. :)

Some picks of my new Dickey incubator. I drilled 2 extra holes in the side for my thermometers.

Inside view, setup as a hatcher.

Humidistat (PID humidity controller)

Ultrasonic fogger (inactive)

Ultrasonic fogger (working)

That would have been me. This isn't based on any scientific study but experience. This is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt. A lot of people like calm, friendly, docile, pet type chicken breeds because they only consider their own personal relationship with their chickens rather than the chickens' relationship with their world at large. Most people refer to Mediterranean and other breeds as flighty. IMO, they construe that to mean that they can and will fly over fences and are a bit unpredictable. However, what these breeds really are; wary, alert, quick, agile, able to fend for themselves, etc.. After about 30 or so breeds of chickens, I must say that before I kept Mediterranean breeds other than large laying flocks of Leghorn hens, I lost birds to hawks and other daytime predators - including foxes, coyotes, etc.. Granted those birds were mostly meat and DP breeds like Freedom Rangers, Orps, Wyandottes, etc.. It wasn't till I kept a Black Penedesenca rooster with each free range flock that I was able to forget worries about hawks. I have also kept Minorcas, Anconas, Leghorns, Sicilian Buttercups, etc. When I'm in a building among the chickens, I'll hear the roosters make that aerial predator call and I'll step outside to see what's up. I'll see the last of the hens running for cover. Some run into the coop, but most head into the underbrush. The roosters don't run. In the various runs or out in the field, the roosters are all standing like statues facing one direction. I'll look around and only after all this, do I see the hawk/s coming. They are so alert with such good eyesight, they see them coming long before I could. Usually, the hawks chicken out and don't dive. When they do, I've seen the rooster leap and fly timed to the hawk's dive, take the hawk down and slowly stride back to his flock. The first time I witnessed it, I missed the conflict but saw the rooster walking away and a pile of feathers on the ground and I was sure the hawk had killed a hen. There was red around but later I saw that the red was leaves (autumn). Then the feathers started moving. The hawk staggered to its feet, walked a bit and finally flew off. So, again anecdotally, I think that most large Med breeds would have what it takes to do the job. Maybe not Anconas, Leghorns or Buttercups because they're smaller but Andalusians, Catalanas, Empordanesas and black Penes (blacks are larger than the other 3 varieties) have the size and agility to meet the challenge. I'm sure there are other breeds that can do so as well. I'm thinking Shamo, Malay, La Flèche, Hamburg, Cubalaya and although smaller, I think Fayoumi would fit that mold. As for flightiness, I think it is a misnomer in most cases. Most of the flighty breeds are just aloof and adverse to all things not chicken, not necessarily fliers. The Black Penedesencas will stay inside a 3' fence. (they may crawl under it but only go over if pressed by a predator) I often keep a flock of roosters inside a 2' fence.
Gamebirds are good for this too. There's a few pictures floating around the internet. My jjkelso likes to chase coyotes. :)
See this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom