INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time for work!
frow.gif

hugs.gif
enjoy your day!!!

wink.png

yes CH they are drawing down, let them alone dont candle dont open it, you have a bit of condensation that is good humidity..... GOOD LUCK!!

wow Benny!! you are the man! How long until the son goes into Army?

Good morning beautiful!!
hugs.gif
you have an egg update for me? or did I getcha already?

probably not
lau.gif

awwww that sucks whites!!!
Hey now I resemble that remark

I am making a coolerbator for @sarasweatman as a gift because she is a friend and also very giving and kind. And would love her to have more bator space and a good steady incubation.....

I have ordered (I am making two of the same, keeping one as an extra)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-52-qt.-Xtreme-Cooler/21721549
coolers
Coleman 52-Quart Extreme Cooler, Blue

I CHOSE THIS COOLER BECAUSE I made a CHEAP cooler bator and I dont like its insulating factor so I will pay just a few more bucks to have a well insulated cooler like this one......
4.5 stars
14 reviews
ratings
Q&A
By: Coleman
Walmart #: 552035097
k2-_3cfd61f7-adcd-4919-af59-1b9a1da29866.v1.jpg-152afedce20253fc415f4b19b5c76813493ad350-optim-450x450.jpg

Order Wafer Thermostat for Hova-Bator Egg Incubators | Cabinet | Desktop| Brooder 3122

Price:
US $22.75

Wafer Thermostat for Hova-Bator Egg Incubators | Cabinet | Desktop| Brooder 3122
( 270949887789 )
Quantity: 2

I have also purchased a STC because I want to try one in mine, to COMPARE with the wafers I love so much

ITEM PRICE:
US $15.80

Universal STC-1000 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat w/ Sensor AC 110V

The fans I ordered, and I ordered higher cfm and rpms so I may have to adjust humidity more because of the fan, but I wanted more air flow in them anyways.

Lot 2PCS New 80mm IDE Chassis Fan Cooling for Computer PC Host 4 Pins

Price:
US $6.99 for two, I ordered 4 total because I need to have extras on hand just in case.

Features:
1. Silent Fan Cooling System
2. Special high profile fan blades for maximum air flow
4. 4 Pins Connector Male and Female
5. Provide excellent ventilation for your PC cases

Specification:
Speed reference: 1800 +/-10% RPM
Bearing Type: Sleeve Bearing
Noise Reference: 23 db
Reference air flow: 60CFM
Rated Voltage: 12V
Rated Current: 0.18A
Interface Type: 4 Pins Male and Female
Length: 11.8inches
Size: 3.1 x 3.1 x 1 in(L x W x H)
Color: black

Package include:
2 x Computer Chassis Fan

two per cooler, cheap at lowes ceramic
LL

Wanna know the scary part? I have most of that stuff including the STC-1000
hide.gif

So hi everyone
frow.gif
I have been gone a few days
hugs.gif
morning Deb! how are you? @Studio Chick

Our high was 10 today.
I turned on the heat lamps last night poor ducks.
I know, cold yer sending here? turning ours on tonight until further notice!!
morning @LittleLakePhil
hugs.gif

Could anyone please tell me what's wrong with her butt!! I keep cleaning it and I put Vaseline on it but she has like loose stool. What should I give her? I already give her probiotics and electrolytes.
have you treated them for cocci? is there any blood in poop?
I would treat them for cocci and add probiotics to @tishl

How to Prevent Chicks from Getting Coccidiosis post #4779
Quick lesson on pasty butt post #4657
Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876 USING SPONGE WEDGES post #4473

Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see post #1409
Just a refresher, I had issues with swinging temps and such, from incubating in a small place. I candled tonight (day 10) I have eight going great and 10 clear, the air cells are still a little small for my liking. I am going to hold off on adding any water for a couple of days, even though it goes against my grain to see that humidity reading at ten percent.
ten is too low, keep at least 18-20 you have pics of your air cell marks? @Studio Chick what humidity did you run at thus far?

Quote: again good read and advice

@sallysunshine

Hi there again. Quick question...I have a few with large air cells and a few smaller air cells. Would you suggest 70% as the set humidity? I also had 3 that looked like they could be ED. I left them in just in case? Holy cow we are so excited
ya.gif
This is our first attempt at hatching.
@Sassyhens1 I would do 70 yes GOOD LUCK keep in touch please!!!
fl.gif

Baby #1 is on her way!!!!

jumpy.gif

- Ant Farm
YAYAYYAY

The pip is getting bigger!!
@shahtir101 update!!!

I'm home
Bowling sucked
End of story
Got 170 posts to catch up on
dang sorry what ya get?

This morning it is pretty obvious that the serama that pipped died, but there are 2 more pips from the mixed bantam eggs.
oh no!

Nice Sally. See very kind hearted.
ummmm I have moments I guess lol

Mornin
Yer so sweet fer that.

Let me know own how those controllers hold up
I wanted to use one but wasn't sure of the longevity
morning!
hugs.gif
and will do!

I might have to make a "backup" coolerbator as well
hide.gif
Mow that I have extra parts..
hatcher, must have a hatcher!! easy clean up too!
I did last night. Locked them in nice and tight... and now the boring long wait.. At least I have work to keep me busy!
roll.png
GOOD LUCK!!! gotcha updated

Last edited:
Can you believe it?! No pips yet! It's day 19! What are they waiting for??
Anyone else wonder how AutoCorrect can change so many words? "They" was turned into "fry" and "so many words" was changed to "a good day".

Mine too! Day 26 and nothing yet! They better hurry up!

I know what you mean with the auto correct thing. I swear, I'm ready to delete the words worth, asks, and Thera from my tablet's memory because for some reason, it thinks I use them every day!

Morning everyone! Day 20 for me! No pips yet but the eggs are both shakin. On another note I went to lunch with my mother in love yesterday and apparently she wants smart grandkids. My son just turned 3. Lol

Who was talking about Mediterranean roos being good against hawks? What breed?
That would have been me.
This isn't based on any scientific study but experience. This is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt.
A lot of people like calm, friendly, docile, pet type chicken breeds because they only consider their own personal relationship with their chickens rather than the chickens' relationship with their world at large.
Most people refer to Mediterranean and other breeds as flighty. IMO, they construe that to mean that they can and will fly over fences and are a bit unpredictable.
However, what these breeds really are; wary, alert, quick, agile, able to fend for themselves, etc..
After about 30 or so breeds of chickens, I must say that before I kept Mediterranean breeds other than large laying flocks of Leghorn hens, I lost birds to hawks and other daytime predators - including foxes, coyotes, etc.. Granted those birds were mostly meat and DP breeds like Freedom Rangers, Orps, Wyandottes, etc..
It wasn't till I kept a Black Penedesenca rooster with each free range flock that I was able to forget worries about hawks.
I have also kept Minorcas, Anconas, Leghorns, Sicilian Buttercups, etc.
When I'm in a building among the chickens, I'll hear the roosters make that aerial predator call and I'll step outside to see what's up.
I'll see the last of the hens running for cover. Some run into the coop, but most head into the underbrush. The roosters don't run. In the various runs or out in the field, the roosters are all standing like statues facing one direction. I'll look around and only after all this, do I see the hawk/s coming. They are so alert with such good eyesight, they see them coming long before I could.
Usually, the hawks chicken out and don't dive. When they do, I've seen the rooster leap and fly timed to the hawk's dive, take the hawk down and slowly stride back to his flock.
The first time I witnessed it, I missed the conflict but saw the rooster walking away and a pile of feathers on the ground and I was sure the hawk had killed a hen. There was red around but later I saw that the red was leaves (autumn). Then the feathers started moving. The hawk staggered to its feet, walked a bit and finally flew off.

So, again anecdotally, I think that most large Med breeds would have what it takes to do the job. Maybe not Anconas, Leghorns or Buttercups because they're smaller but Andalusians, Catalanas, Empordanesas and black Penes (blacks are larger than the other 3 varieties) have the size and agility to meet the challenge.
I'm sure there are other breeds that can do so as well.
I'm thinking Shamo, Malay, La Flèche, Hamburg, Cubalaya and although smaller, I think Fayoumi would fit that mold.

As for flightiness, I think it is a misnomer in most cases. Most of the flighty breeds are just aloof and adverse to all things not chicken, not necessarily fliers.
The Black Penedesencas will stay inside a 3' fence. (they may crawl under it but only go over if pressed by a predator) I often keep a flock of roosters inside a 2' fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom