INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not decide whether to put it in a public message or a private message. Obviously, I am choosing public.
One of my other sisters called to tell me the viewing and funeral arrangements. She said I was supposed to be getting a text from my oldest sister whom is with the widow. It is been half an hour, and no text. That alone ticks me off. I was not going to go to the funeral for many reasons. The fact that I will feel like an outsider was one of them. I am going for the children, but I hate that I already feel so shunned. Gotta love big families. It is very easy to get lost if you keep quiet.
Now I have to figure out what to do with Duckling. Her aunts next door will probably take her.

Good morning all! Candled my day 15 eggs last night and pulled 7 clears from some purchased eggs. There were two with darker shells that I think are clear, but I left in, just in case. So, 9 of 13 eggs clear. Frustrating. I need to candle the day 10 eggs tonight. But I am getting a ton more eggs....I need to stop watching the auctions and MUST stay off Ebay.

Before I knew about the free necropsy service in CA, I fell for this and paid my vet $120 to send one to Davis for me. That was on top of the Office visit, so my bill was similar to your bill.

@Jessimom , did you know that UC Davis let's us use their FedEx account number? Last one I sent was a huge box, weighed about 10 pounds and cost to overnight that was only $20. The one before that was a small box and it cost $9.

How I Send a Bird for a Necropsy

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but they charge for those. The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the a bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.

Box, sides, bottom and and top.

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.

Brown paper on top of ice pack.

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.

Brown paper on top of hen.

Ice pack on top of brown paper.

Lid on top of brown paper.

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal, 'cause that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

Hope this helps!

-Kathy
Thank you so much Kathy!! I had gone to the UC Davis Website and grabbed a copy of the form, but your photos are awesome!!! I didn't see anywhere that I could use their Fedex number. So that makes a HUGE difference. Thanks again!!

I could not decide whether to put it in a public message or a private message. Obviously, I am choosing public.
One of my other sisters called to tell me the viewing and funeral arrangements. She said I was supposed to be getting a text from my oldest sister whom is with the widow. It is been half an hour, and no text. That alone ticks me off. I was not going to go to the funeral for many reasons. The fact that I will feel like an outsider was one of them. I am going for the children, but I hate that I already feel so shunned. Gotta love big families. It is very easy to get lost if you keep quiet.
Now I have to figure out what to do with Duckling. Her aunts next door will probably take her.
Assuming the widow's one of your sisters, I'd go to support her; screw everyone else.

So she called to tell you to expect a text but not what the text said? Yes, the children could use your support.

@Sally Sunshine
@casportpony

8 of 12 Leghorn still look good.
Tossed clears.

6 of 6 RIR look good!

I had initially set 15 quail eggs

There are 27 now
hide.gif

OF THE EGGS THAT I REMOVED THE "PAINT" FROM THE SHELL ON THE QUAIL EGGS.....

4 of 5 look good.

I do not think the hot vinegar bath affects the hatchability.

I am curious to try this on CHICKEN eggs.

It is pretty cool, But it only helps for candling purposes.
Are they easier to candle?

-Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom