INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good morning to go fly a kite!!!

Ok y'all I need help with incubating for some reason every time I incubate eggs they never hatch
this is my still air incubator the temp was at 99 to 100
Yes I candle some and some had a littl dark spot with a huge blood ring and some had just a blood ring the ones I open were fully developed chicks
Thank you for helping me figure it out I thought I did something wrong
this may be a dumb question but do you know about lockdown? and increasing humidity and not turning anymore
I ask because i didn't when i first started, i didnt

what humidity were you running?

Last edited:
How would I look it up at the library of congress?
I just looked on the Missouri Veterans History Project website and I'm not listed yet but supposedly when I'm in the database you can see it.
When the database is updated you should be able to hear the interview.
I'll post the link when it is there. Better yet, I'll PM it to you. Too much personal information.

This is what the interviews are like.
http://www.mvhp.net/listen-to-veterans--stories-.html

Of the five Silkie eggs under the banty it looks like one may have died.day 18 but I left it.tommorow is day 19.hope for some more Silkies.and now under one if the broody hens in the coop I just put ten more Silkie eggs under her from my Silkies.
Be careful not to put eggs under a hen that has been broody for 3 weeks or more.

my family member changed there mind the day after they said I could have her
That's too bad.

they just changed there mind and don't give her too.no it's not right they I could have her.I was getting things ready and stuff for her too
It is terrible and not fair but life isn't fair. One of your many life lessons.

I've got several with curled toes out in the brooder but never a flat foot. As for wry neck can give vit E (I think).
Vitamin E and selenium. Vitamin E is the cure but selenium has to be present for E to be absorbed.

O's weren't looking too spiffy 'til the 5th, then someone flipped the switch on; altogether different team after that.The O's have a fearsome lineup this year; there's not a weak spot in it anywhere; anyone's subject to put one out, at any time.Their weak spot is, and always has been, their pitching, or lack thereof. A couple of the younger pitchers have started to come around, but, unfortunately, performances like last night's are all too common. The bull pen is strong, though, and contains the best closer in baseball.

Your starter was looking good & pretty much had the O's on the ropes 'til the wheels came off his cart, with help from Manny Machado
It's a long season and perhaps too early to know what the true nature of these teams are.
The Cardinals have done a complete flip flop. Last year they had the best pitching staff in baseball and the worst hitting. This year, pitching is struggling and they have the most potent offense.
Will the real Cardinal team please step forward?

The problem is same as last year... Pitching... Pitching.... Pitching.... That starter had been okay... Has no wins this year because every time he pitched they failed to score runs.
Last night looked like they are least did that for him... But again the bullpen lost another game for them.
The biggest problem the Tigers have is.... The owner loves hitters... But doesn't want to spend the cash for great pitching....IMO
Cards have the same pitchers as last year - except for John Lackey who went to the cubs. They had ridiculously low ERAs last year. Now, their ace has an ERA over 6.

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!
Phil, congrats on the news about you upcoming grand kid, and I thought dazed and confused was a requirement for this thread!
lau.gif

Whites, congrats on the great grand child coming! I have already told all of my grandkids I would be willing to wait a while for that event. Like twenty more years or so.......
lau.gif

Got webberz in the bator Banti! But not trying to cook them too fast, like great grand kids, good things come to those who wait!
wink.png

Chaos, I don't think billy was referring to a conga line!
MC, cute pics, duckling gets cuter every time I see her!

I have been busy with everything lately and haven't been on much.
Decided that work could manage without me for a day and decided to take an extended weekend. Wouldn't you know it though, woke up to 32 degrees and snow flurries!
somad.gif

Oh well, what's one more day of working out of my garage with the wood stove on, stereo blaring and fresh coffee all day? Maybe I will finally get a chance to finish the cabinet bator I have been building since January
idunno.gif
Snow would be strange at the end of May. We have uncharacteristic mid 40s F at night this week.
This beats needing to run furnaces or air conditioners though.

Still one broody but no eggs.
The broody is not the silkie?
yesss.gif
My Christmas chicks started on the first, and I am waiting on the 1/21 chicks.
What type are they? Egg color?
I'm waiting on my Christmas and January chicks to lay too.

Good Morning Sally!
frow.gif

I think the biggest problem with the styrobators is the fact that they have a small air volume. When the bator is turned off, or opened, the temperature drops too low, and when the heating element comes back on, it stays on for too long, and gets too hot. Since there isn't much air in them, the air heats up super quickly. By the time the element turns off, it still continues to emit heat and increases the temperature inside beyond that which the thermostat is set. The insulation holds the excess heat in the bator. That's my opinion on why these bators spike like they do, but I could totally be wrong. I don't know if possibly a UPS would help or not, but it would keep the bator running for a short time while the power was out. If you are removing the lid to the bator to add water, I recommend NOT doing that! If you can use a syringe and a piece of airline tubing to add water through the vent hole, that would be ideal. It keeps all of the heat and humidity from escaping the incubator, which helps to keep the temps more stable. I hope I've helped.
I think you are onto it. Even in my homemade cabinet, the temp swings are wide and rapid.
My next build will be an incremental heat source and controller rather than an on/off system like most incubators.
Inside egg temperature is what we're trying to achieve. So I don't worry about the swings as long as it doesn't stay high or low too long.

My sister and her husband built raised beds. They put pond liner in the bottom, PVC pipes with holes and a corner to top with the cap on top of the dirt. They fill/water once a week. It's really cool and great if you go on vacation. I have the article and plans if anyone is interested.
Here's an aerial view of my raised beds shortly after they were built years ago.

Here they are planted and prepped to be growout pens in late fall for meaties.

Hoop pen finished and freedom rangers foraging.

hoop pen moved to the next bed after meaties left.

hoop house and raised beds in winter

Quote:
you guys are NEVER going to let me catch up! my goodness yer killing me.... is this pick on Sally day er whut?
It's all your fault. You started it.

one last question I promise...do you think that if a duck and a chick is still alive after the temperature spike that maybe the others are alive also?
Could be. No way to tell until they hatch or don't.

How long do Silkies take to hatch
Chickens take 21 days.

The eggs still should have hatched. Just late. Still air needs to be 101*
That is at the top of the eggs - not a random place in the incubator.

You aren't just relying on the LG thermo, correct?
-Banti
Those are junk and WAAAY off.

The incubator was given to me I did clean the inside before I put eggs in no egg turner I turned the eggs 3 to 4 times a day I did had 20 eggs in there that was supposed to hatch on the 3rd of May but never did I took them out this Monday
Most likely a thermometer issue.

Hey, have any of you ever had a chick hatch with a bulging eyeball? Anyone know what causes this?

-Kathy
Eye abnormalities are almost always high incubator temperature during the first week. It is also possible that it was low oxygen during the same period.

Well if I did hurt anyone I am truly sorry. Sometimes my joking can go a little to far.
hugs.gif
to all.
Don't sweat it. I'm sure I offend regularly. Life's too short to lose sleep over it.

Sometimes I'm joking, sometimes not.

Here is the thermometer that I have not sure if it's the one I should use or not hubby bought it
They can be way off. Nothing you can get at a big box store is accurate enough for incubation.
They are supposed to be within ±2°F but most aren't and even if they are - still not accurate enough.
I use a brinsea spot check and this one. Right now, you can get 2 for $16.
http://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA

Yes it's the only one no I haven't checked for accuracy maybe that's my problem it the thermometer I'll get an aquarium thermometer just to be on the safe side
I've had aquarium thermometers that were off as well.

Wow I did and thermometer reads 49 degrees

Yep, those are junk.

I have a thermometer that reads 78 F. Year round!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote: Interestingly enough, after reading what you just recommended, I was going to try it with the thermometer that came with my Hov-A-Bator (even marked GQF), but am not using. I have 3 other thermometers in the 'bator, one of which I recently calibrated, and two more "out of the box" that are within 0.5* of it. After I'd done the ice water bit, I realized that the lowest possible reading is 70*...makes it kinda tough to do the ice water calibration! Good thing I don't need it.

Interestingly enough, after reading what you just recommended, I was going to try it with the thermometer that came with my Hov-A-Bator (even marked GQF), but am not using. I have 3 other thermometers in the 'bator, one of which I recently calibrated, and two more "out of the box" that are within 0.5* of it. After I'd done the ice water bit, I realized that the lowest possible reading is 70*...makes it kinda tough to do the ice water calibration! Good thing I don't need it.
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom