INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't have said it better mom.

The lilacs look nice for being in such a shady spot.

Good luck. Even if the ankle goes bad, you'll win on one leg like Karate Kid.

Every time I said something like that, my dad told me that "people in hell want ice water".

Another great point.
my mom says the same

Guineas are pretty hardy, so might be a good idea to figure out why they died before you get *any* new animals.

-Kathy
Another great point.
I know you know this, but others might not... Anytime you lose more than one animal in a short period of time it means that something is wrong with your animal husbandry or that you have a disease. Either way, it must be addressed. The loss of four is unacceptable.

-Kathy

Quote:
lau.gif
oh one of your best works I see!!! bawahhahhahaa love it!
cute! what are they?

Quote: what kind its cheap?
Maybe she was trying to dry her feathers after you took her out of that Whirlpool. Tr the spin cycle next time
lau.gif

Hi everyone,
My name is Nell, and I have a few questions.
I have shipped eggs on day 14, of course some have saddle shaped aircells, and some have just down one long side(wonky?), then some with normal appearance.
(I followed all basic rules for settling, and not turning first 2 days to stabilize the air cells)
I have 2 incubators that can both be used as hatchers. (I have too many eggs to fit in brinsea for hatch)
1 brinsea octagon Eco, and 1 that I built myself with kit from incubator warehouse.
My first question is aircell size on these saddle shaped ones. It's really hard for me to visually gauge if they are way too big or not. I know the size it should be approx for normal aircells, but I have not found a "saddle shape cheat sheet chart". Would you take a look at the many pics I am posting and let me know in general if they are ok.

*** the white pencil mark on the dark eggs are day 14, and the white eggs just regular pencil***

** please also know that I realize that a few of the dark brown have too small of aircells, and I am trying to deal with that**
2nd question
I have read that it's best to hatch upright in cut down egg cartons.
I can do that no problem, but does anyone have pics of how far to cut them down? I do best visually seeing.
Someone else suggested toilet paper rolls cut down, however I would be worried that once hatch started they might be knocked over anyway by the others.
3rd question
Saddle shaped aircells with both dips about same? If leaning on egg carton, do I face both dips free of back carton?

Ok I hope I have not bombarded you all with too many questions.
Also I have read and read all the hatching 101 notes, and have hatched before, just usually hatch local eggs with less problems. However my daughter really wants polish chickens, and my husband wants his dark eggs!! :)
Thank you

Just looked at the pics of dark eggs and realized it's hard to see the white on some. Just FYI the dark pencil mark is about day 10 or 11 I think.

I like upright hatching

Place what would be the center of the saddle pointing up is what I have done

The egg will be leaning when "upright"

Quote:
frow.gif

Quote:
Kat did you see my post about guinea egg shells? you have them. Dang those shells are thick and hard as bleep
I didn't see your post... what was it about? And yes, I have Guineas.

-Kathy
do they hatch fine in those hard shells?

Quote: They stay lanky no matter how I trim them, I am so afraid to cut them way back, as you can see they are 16 foot high if not more I dont know much about them, we never had any at the cc.

Quote: I know its started part English then I am not so sure

Quote: I was told "how does it feel to want", lol.

-Kathy
yeppers that too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom