INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sally sunshineI am asking to learn. Earlier someone mentioned having a couple of chicks that had zipped, but we're not out. That they were gone when they pipped and zipped the humidity was way down and the power had gone out at some point. Isn't this a time to assist since they zipped? Why or why not? How?
Thanks

I had the same problem. Completely zipped but the membrane did not break open. Moisture was the problem during and after it zipped. Then it died before it shrink wrapped I was getting ready to help but no need

You would, too
:tongue

I want seramas. How well do they do in the cold does anyone know?
They are small so probably not very good but I don't actually know cause I ain't got none.

it's was dead before I opened.
and you know this how?

@sally sunshineI am asking to learn. Earlier someone mentioned having a couple of chicks that had zipped, but we're not out. That they were gone when they pipped and zipped the humidity was way down and the power had gone out at some point. Isn't this a time to assist since they zipped? Why or why not? How?
Thanks
If the chick can't spin around to unzip through the membrane because he's stuck to it than I would say yes to help. Best place to start would be to carefully remove the air cell area they were trying to zip off. Using warm water you can try to moisten the stuck parts to get them out. I assisted three on my last hatch. Two were stuck to the membrane around the zip and the third was a malpo. All three are doing great and when I look in the brooder I can't tell who it was I helped.

Thanks

I took the tops off at 12 they haven't pushed out at all. Still alive though.

Last edited:
2 chicks are hatched out of 15 and one died more to do something. They are very slimy when they hatch out. What makes it that a chick pips and starts to zip about an inch then dies? Nothing in its mouth or anything. Not too dry nor wet. It had enough slimy stuff to move but not enough to die from it..

@sally sunshine I am asking to learn. Earlier someone mentioned having a couple of chicks that had zipped, but we're not out. That they were gone when they pipped and zipped the humidity was way down and the power had gone out at some point. Isn't this a time to assist since they zipped? Why or why not? How?
Thanks

This might be what you are looking for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chat-meet-new-friends/35700_100#post_16404687

LL

ht

Quote: A NOTE.... and I know your a shell picker as we had discussed before. HOWEVER.... When the chicks circle inside the egg during ZIP stage, they actually twist navel strings/veins and this helps shut down and close them off, if they have too big of an area to get out/or you help them before this happens, they can bleed....

-Kathy
yep, common sense after you do it a while but its one of those DOHs that hit you
he.gif

Ducks are much worse, as they go round more than once, creating a bigger and bigger hole until they get out... most people interviene with ducks seeing a big hole up top when in fact they are still resting and doing their turns inside.... ducks are such a hard call when assisting or not....

CHICKS CAN GET STUCK IN THE ZIPPING STAGE
AGAIN THIS SHOULD ONLY LAST 45-90 Minutes!!
The IMAGES BELOW are of chicks that needed assistance because they went for way too many hours in the zipping stage!

THESE NEEDED ASSISTANCE!
"open that up and get her out!!
a zip
IT ONLY LASTS UP TO 45-90 minutes for chicken eggs!!"
"put a damp HOT rag in the bator when you grab him out, not on eggs though! If the chick is sticky or goopie it will need washed off! I run the tap water warm and hold the chick under it and wash NOT GETTING WATER ON ITS HEAD OR NOSTRILS! After that dry it off with a warm dry rag and put under heat lamp in the brooder or return to the bator!"

I took this piece off and she pushed right out

"THE OTHER ONE too, with the arrow below, if its chirping like mad you may have to check it out. it looks funny for just a pip!"

Its out! the second one without my help thank tha lord!
clap.gif

Hi, my little WCBP mix hatched Saturday evening, she seemed fine, gave her food and water yesterday and she still is not eating or drinking, she is pooping, kinda normal poop, she has a problem eating & drinking. when i put her face in the water and soft food she takes some b/c she has to, and then she stands straight up and seems to have trouble swallowing. her croop is emply.
she has a crooked toe, also. I think she is starving. she can see but not well, she follows me, when i move around her, but she moves slowly, like she is only seeing shadows. she may be deaf also. I hink she has many problems, that i dont know of.
has anyone encountered this kind of behavior before?
Any suggestions on how to help her
Oh, and she chirps/peeps constantly, until she is exhausted, i think b/c she is hungry, and maybe in pain.
poor sweet little creature.
see her crooked toe?
this is how she stands up to swollow food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom