INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I took a few pics of the Marquette shoreline today...I also snuck in a few minutes of fishing in...

Gorgeous

Cute is a breed, right? :D
:love

DUCKLINGS........

Not so cute in this case. The duckling is definitely giving a "are you serious?" Look. :)

Hey guys, I have about fifty chicks 2-6 weeks old in me coop on the floor 8.5x10. It is seventy degrees outside, but since there is a five by 2.5 foot window that faces West and I left a 125w heat lamp on, it is much warmer in there. I put in a 75 w normal bulb,but I turned it off for now. It is supposed to go down to 48 and up to 75 tomorrow. Should I leave it off tonight or just during the day tomorrow?

In your case, I think it's okay to leave it off. You can always do a quick check later on, by standing outside and listening for peeping.
What's your temp now? I would worry about the two week olds. I'd at least want a warm place they could go. 

I do agree most of the time with that. With 50 chicks however, and the low being that high (not to mention it won't be that cool for long) I believe that the heat from so many bodies and the day should keep them happy.
That's good to hear. I'll probably never know what turned him in the wrong direction; maybe it was just bad timing, with him coming into full maturity about the same time he got his own ladies that he didn't have to fight for. Maybe he saw me as a threat to his position. Who knows what goes through an animal's mind, or what might trigger unacceptable behavior. I have no clue why he felt it necessary to bite me while i was carrying him.

What i do know is that as soon as I can finish this new coop and get a run up I'm going to set some eggs from my hens; I'm anxious to see some of his get on the ground. I've only had one of my girls ever display any aggressiveness, and that was a broody on a large clutch that didn't want me messing with her; totally understandable. I have no idea what I'll get as far as color, but I'm betting they'll have pretty even temperaments. I hope so. Should be interesting, at least.

Y'know? When my cockerel that attacked my face got mean, it was after killing the dominant five cockerels. Maybe it really is because we are/were putting a submissive teenaged boy in charge of his own girls at a young age.

Not so cute in this case. The duckling is definitely giving a "are you serious?" Look. :)
In your case, I think it's okay to leave it off. You can always do a quick check later on, by standing outside and listening for peeping.
I do agree most of the time with that. With 50 chicks however, and the low being that high (not to mention it won't be that cool for long) I believe that the heat from so many bodies and the day should keep them happy.
Y'know? When my cockerel that attacked my face got mean, it was after killing the dominant five cockerels. Maybe it really is because we are/were putting a submissive teenaged boy in charge of his own girls at a young age.
At what age do they cease being a submissive teenaged boy?

Not so cute in this case. The duckling is definitely giving a "are you serious?" Look.
smile.png

My guy was about a year old when he came here after continually being ganged up on by 3 other roosters. That's the main reason I was able to get him. Is a yearling rooster still considered a 'teenaged boy' in the chicken world?...serious question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom