INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes
Depends on if you have a fan. With a fan, it won't matter as much depending on where everything is situated. Without a fan, a light in the center will create cool zones in the corners. I'd put the wafer and your most accurate thermometer closest to the center mass of the eggs.

Always give eggs the sniff test before putting into your clean incubator.
Haha, yes indeed. And I do have a fan. It's a smaller cooler---> bulb is right under the handle part. fan is where the cords stick out. Thermostat is in the mail
cool.png

Yes
Haha, yes indeed. And I do have a fan. It's a smaller cooler---> bulb is right under the handle part. fan is where the cords stick out. Thermostat is in the mail
cool.png
IMHO, the location of the wafer isn't as critical as the location of the thermometer. You want that where the eggs are.

Currently Viewing

5 Members, 2 Guests
BantyChooks Chaos18 casportponyheatherfeather7 venymae

frow.gif

-Kathy

I haven't been on in a few days, just too much going on.

@Jessimom

I went through the same thing you are with your city about 3 years ago. It is possible to fight city hall - and win. We did it.

You need to write a letter to the city formally asking for an extension. It should be sent certified and if you know an attorney that you can carbon copy, that will help.
Get the media involved, TV, radio and newspapers.
Motivate as many of the city residents and even other chicken owners in the area to pack city hall at every council meeting. Have as many people on your side sign in to speak in the new business part of the meeting.
Meet with the city council members one on one and try to get an ally or two on the council.

Several of us in the city had chickens but no one knew it. None of us saw anything in the ordinances that specifically disallowed them.
A reporter for the our largest newspaper contacted our chicken group. Her neighbors all had chickens in the city. (St. Louis) She wanted to learn more and all our members said she needed to talk to me. She called and asked how many chickens I had. When I said 45, she asked if she could come right over.
After the interview, I asked her not to mention that I had roosters or how many I had. She ignored that request and the next morning our mayor was reading the morning paper and he hit the roof.
I got a letter giving me two months to get rid of the chickens. Usually there are a handful of people at those meetings. We had the room bursting at the seams every 2 weeks. Each meeting was in the newspaper and on 3 area TV stations and radio.
A couple friends said they were listening to a rap station one morning and the DJ said, "Did you hear about my man in B++++ J+++? The city is trying to make him get rid of his chickens".
After about 8 months all of us that had chickens were given permission by ordinance to continue doing what we had always been doing and new people that wanted to keep them could keep up to 6 AND a rooster.

If you need more advice please ask.

Thank you, I am trying to get chores done too before the heat sets in. Have both my guys helping too.

MC thank you as well. Need to go to store, grrr. Hate grocery shopping!

Chickens are fed and front lawn is torn out. Grandkids will do the final grade and put rocks in.

I try not to shop on weekends.

Well I didn't get there still. Walking is a chore today, grrr. I usually don't go on weekends either but today and next Sunday are all I have off.

@Jessimom

I went through the same thing you are with your city about 3 years ago. It is possible to fight city hall - and win. We did it.

You need to write a letter to the city formally asking for an extension. It should be sent certified and if you know an attorney that you can carbon copy, that will help.
Get the media involved, TV, radio and newspapers.
Motivate as many of the city residents and even other chicken owners in the area to pack city hall at every council meeting. Have as many people on your side sign in to speak in the new business part of the meeting.
Meet with the city council members one on one and try to get an ally or two on the council.

Several of us in the city had chickens but no one knew it. None of us saw anything in the ordinances that specifically disallowed them.
A reporter for the our largest newspaper contacted our chicken group. Her neighbors all had chickens in the city. (St. Louis) She wanted to learn more and all our members said she needed to talk to me. She called and asked how many chickens I had. When I said 45, she asked if she could come right over.
After the interview, I asked her not to mention that I had roosters or how many I had. She ignored that request and the next morning our mayor was reading the morning paper and he hit the roof.
I got a letter giving me two months to get rid of the chickens. Usually there are a handful of people at those meetings. We had the room bursting at the seams every 2 weeks. Each meeting was in the newspaper and on 3 area TV stations and radio.
A couple friends said they were listening to a rap station one morning and the DJ said, "Did you hear about my man in B++++ J+++? The city is trying to make him get rid of his chickens".
After about 8 months all of us that had chickens were given permission by ordinance to continue doing what we had always been doing and new people that wanted to keep them could keep up to 6 AND a rooster.

If you need more advice please ask.
Thank you so much!! From the little bit of research we've done so far, is that anyone with the correct zoning can keep whatever farm animals they are zoned for. The 4H club fought the city to allow kids to keep up to 6 backyard chickens, no matter the zoning, as long as the household had a child in 4H. What is rumored right now, is that if the city is talking about if they would allow that, why not make back yard chickens allowed for everyone. I don't know how far along in that process they are.

We got the letter yesterday, so Monday is the earliest I can do anything. We've gotten to know the compliance officer pretty good over the last 4 years - basically because of my brother living in a motor home on our property, and tree clearance for the fire department etc. He's the one that told us about the city discussing allowing backyard chickens. We're hoping he'll be on our side......

Since this entire valley was all farms less than 100 years ago. My house is the farm house for orchards. I've found photos from the 40's that show nothing but trees around me. I don't understand when the laws were passed banning chickens.

Once I get a better idea of what their stance is on an extension, I might ask for more advice!!!

Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom