Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Day 18...........Candled all 14 eggs and the only iffy one is the one that lost so much weight as it is the runt weighing in at the beginning only 74 grams, but I believe it is still good too.....
ya.gif

I did turn them to "X", gave the runt egg a couple of extra dampened cotton balls and heavily misted during it the cooling period. All the other eggs, just a rormal light mist after turning.

Day 18...........Candled all 14 eggs and the only iffy one is the one that lost so much weight as it is the runt weighing in at the beginning only 74 grams, but I believe it is still good too.....
ya.gif

I did turn them to "X", gave the runt egg a couple of extra dampened cotton balls and heavily misted during it the cooling period. All the other eggs, just a rormal light mist after turning.
Yay for runty.. over half way there.
thumbsup.gif

Day 19..........'bout the same as yesterday. Turned to O and misted the one very well and lightly misted the others. While cooling I decided to candle again without removing them from the tray. Seen some movement in some and some I didn't see any movement. But I didn't do a number one candle job either, just held the light on the egg for a couple of seconds or so.

On a different note, Gracie the Embden laid another egg early this AM and this evening I put it and the one she laid a couple of days ago in the incubator. I laid them in the bottom on their sides and will put them pointed end down in the turner on day three. I certainly don't have any high hopes for fertility, but I gotta find out.

Last edited:
Day 20..................

Turned to X, misted and cooled today. Ran the light over them all they appear ok, but again I didn't let the light linger.

Tomorrow is another weigh day! Hope they are within reason.

......................................................................................................................................................

I decided to put the two goose eggs in the turner, so they are in their own tray pointy end down. Noticed Gracie is sitting on her nest so may have another egg tonight.

Day 20..................

Turned to X, misted and cooled today. Ran the light over them all they appear ok, but again I didn't let the light linger.

Tomorrow is another weigh day! Hope they are within reason.

......................................................................................................................................................

I decided to put the two goose eggs in the turner, so they are in their own tray pointy end down. Noticed Gracie is sitting on her nest so may have another egg tonight.
fl.gif
for Scovy's...... and I think it's amazing that Gracie is still laying.
smile.png

Day 22...............

Received two more of the thermometers exactly like the one I am using on tray three (bottom tray) and put them in the incubator this morning. The GQF has three trays, bottom I am using for all my hopefully good eggs that don't have any problems, the middle tray is for the two problem eggs, and the top tray is for two of Gracie's eggs. I now have the same make and type thermometer on each tray and readable through the clear door. Now have four thermometers in there. Fourth is on the shelf above the three trays and is of a different brand. Actually I have five as I have a dial type stuck through a small hole from the outside. Since it is not digital, I have really disregarded it as it is hard (if not impossible) to get an exact reading.

@ 1530 hours, top 98.6 & 41%, middle 99.5 & 40% and bottom 99.1 & 41%
@ 1920 hours, top 98.7 & 40% middle 99.6 & 39% and bottom 99.3 & 41%
@ 2200 hours, 99.8 & 39% 98.6 & 40% 99.1 & 41% this is after I switched top & middle thermometers.

I turned, misted and cooled at 1920 hours and really dampened the problem two. I also switched top & middle thermometers and will edit later. The one thermometer is running about a full degree cooler than the other two. I was hoping for no less than a half degree variance. Ran over the eggs with the light and all seemed to be developing ok including the two problem eggs. Now I didn't see movement in all the eggs, but like before, I didn't hold the light on them for more than a second or two.

Candled Gracie's two eggs and both clear.
sad.png
But they have only been in there 4 days so I haven't given up yet, but I'm not gonna hold my breath either. Gracie laid egg #5 tonight which weighed in at 174 grams. I have one egg still in the nest, two in the incubator and two in my special cooled egg room......my bedroom!

Last edited:
Day 23 and counting........

No changes today, incubation temperatures are holding fairly steady. Turned, misted and cooled for about 15 minutes. You know the worst things about artificially incubating Muscovy eggs?......................You can't speed up the process and you can't take short cuts !

Back
Top Bottom