Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I just had a quick peak at him under the light because i know i really need to make a decision and that air sac has grown AGAIN. It's dropping right down at the lower side. About 1/4 of a cm more than last night.
While I was looking, I noticed a shadow protude in and then out of the air sac quickly. I guess to me it looked like a kick?
I want to help this little guy get out. I need to put my guilt/emotion about little one #1 aside and do this.
I've put the heater on in the room the bator is in so he's not going from one extreme to the other.
Do I just repeat the same process as on Sunday by taking the top off the egg (air sac end) and looking at what is going on/where he is positioned?

Last edited:
If I'd made a desicion earlier yesterday, I would have attempted to help. Then last night when I candled him, his air cell has grown by about a quarter again in 24 hrs.
This leaves me thinking, is he legitimately just late to bloom?
I did make him a safe hole and I made it half way between where both of you were saying because I just couldn't decide.
The reason I have not helped at this stage is because of that excess fluid looking gap that is still left between him and the air cell. That combined with the fact that his air cell has grown tremendously in the last 24 hrs makes me think hes just not ready and im scared after egg number 1.

Could your Dates be OFF?

First of all, THANKYOU! I really needed that feedback.
The first duckling had very soft and silky hair. Quite a lot of it came out when I wiped him before burying him.
Also, at the air sac end where the yolk sac was, on that inner membrane there was a small section along the side where it met the egg that would not absorb moisture when I wet him. While the rest of that membrane went opaque, this section stayed white and I could not see through it. Perhaps that large vein that went over the yolk sac went into that?

Egg number 2 has still not internally pipped, nor has he made any progress that I (the untrained eye) can see.
The air sac is growing tremendously and is starting to meet up with where he finishes. It has grown by over a quarter of its size in 24-36 hours. I'm not quite sure what you mean by shadowing sorry?
I did make a safe hole but I didn't do that till about 5 hours ago as I was undecided.
My humidity is currently hovering in the mid 60% area, though I am trying to get it back up to 70%. The temp is at 37.2ºC.
During lock down the temp has been all over the place, as low as 35ish briefly and is at it's highest now. The humidity was at low 60% but was taken up to high 60% - 70% and has stayed there until last night.
During incubation, temp was consistently at 37.5ºC and humidity was in the mid 20% area.
???? What do you mean Quite a lot of it came out when you wiped it? Are you saying it just fell off his body?? That could be because you wiped to hard OR definancy.. and since he was still in his shell, it would have been WAY out of your control..

where it met the egg that would not absorb moisture - Was there GOOY STUFF in the shell??? is that what you are talking about when you say it would not absorb moisture?? By Gooy stuff I mean it looks like a ball of thick hum, snot ball, sort of speaking, that's see threw. This is caused by being to sticky, to much moisture during the incubating period..

OK when you say Air cell is growing? when first starting off, the air cell is a complete circle at the top of the large end, Are you saying it's not slanting? so it's now bigger but slanting to one side? this is called DIPPING. that air cell has to dip to one side and this is Usually a sign of Three days before hatching..

Shawdowing this is when you can Actually SEE the little guy pushing on the membrane, it's kind of cool, it looks like he's bouncing around on the membrane. LOL.. It's a Light mass lighter then the actually membrane as to where he's at. But as you candle him you can see it kind of pulsating as he's moving around...

Try to get the humidity up higher.

CAN you see any Open spot in the egg? Candle the Egg from the Smaller end? let me know if it's pitch black or if you can see ANY clearness.

I just had a quick peak at him under the light because i know i really need to make a decision and that air sac has grown AGAIN. It's dropping right down at the lower side. About 1/4 of a cm more than last night.
While I was looking, I noticed a shadow protude in and then out of the air sac quickly. I guess to me it looked like a kick?
I want to help this little guy get out. I need to put my guilt/emotion about little one #1 aside and do this.
I've put the heater on in the room the bator is in so he's not going from one extreme to the other.
Do I just repeat the same process as on Sunday by taking the top off the egg (air sac end) and looking at what is going on/where he is positioned?

DON"T HELP, SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DAYS ARE OFF, THAT'S CALLED DIPPING AND SHADOWING, HE'S DOING ALL OF IT IN ONE SHOT. OMG. YOUR DAYS HAVE TO BE OFF.

Day. 31 for my little muscovy deff has a saddle shape air sack

AND HE"S SHADOWING.. WOOO hooo, usually once that happens it's three days before they break out.  WOOO HOOOO, so yours maybe a little early...  LOL But give him all the time he wants
Thanks I've been worried about this one out of the 24 eggs this is the only surviver! I just want it to hatch without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom