Incubator

Will do, they should hatch this weekend. I did have one die in the shell at about 8-9 days:(
I wantted to incubate eggs and can't afford a "real incubator", as my sister calls it.

NicolePA, for a few dollars more you could buy a hovabator from the local co-op and have the ability to hatch more eggs and have a better hatch rate than with the small saucer type model you are asking about. But if you just want to hatch a few chicks it will work. I guess it all depends on what you want.

SouthernChick,
Now I have "seen" everything. Well not really. LOL What a cool idea and it works for you! We should really start a separate topic list for all these really cool and original ideas! Think about all the $$ we can save each other without digging through the posts. What inspiration! BYC members what do you think?

Quote:
It wasn't my idea, I found another person who had pics, somewhere online, when I was looking for coop ideas.
jumpy.gif

SouthernChick.....what are you useing in the bottom...is that saw dust? And how do you keep the humidity up where it needs to be? I SOOOooo want to try this.....my hens do not seem to be interested in setting.
sad.png

Hope all works for you! Let us know

I have corncob bedding in the bottom. The humitity stays up pretty good. The corncob did start to grow mold after a few days. I changed it like 3 times and then I saw that some people hatching lizard eggs used perlite for plants, so that's what I have in there now. No mold and everyone is still moving in their shell as of 15 minutes ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
So in the middle there, is a small container of water? Ohhhh, I have to try this...hubby will think I have lost my mind for sure.....I can hear him now....." Arent you supposed to take the chicken out of the egg before you cook it? " LOL He is a city boy, from day one...and not too sure about this whole chicken thing..but LOVES the eggs!

Thanks so much for your support. My hubby thinks I'm crazy too! He keeps saying that he's going to turn it up to 400 and eat them! I am very impressed with the experiment. I didn't think that it would work.
I also put little drops of water on each egg after I turn it. My mother was raised on a chicken farm and they would do that to imitate the chicken leaving the nest in the morning. When she returns to the nest her underside would be wet, putting water on the eggs. She said that I should do it, as well.
I did this so that my step-daughter could see the eggs hatch. They should start on Sunday.
jumpy.gif

I really hope that she gets to see them hatch. I have been taking out the bad aggs and putting in some new ones every other day or so. I want her to be able to see the different stages. It is so cool to watch the chicks moving in the eggs!
I'll keep you posted about the progress.

Back
Top Bottom