Incubators Anonymous

Not sure this is the right thread but I will ask my question here since there seems to be the most experience here. I have a guinea sitting on her nest in the coop. If she moves off the nest after the first couple eggs hatch can I move the remaining eggs to an incubator? If so, what settings should I use?

Bad picture, but we have chicks hatching! Four silkies so far.
578149186.jpg

My daughter, who is in charge of them while I'm gone, has already named them.

I also have a working list of names lol.

7 hatched so far, last two are zipping! That’s a 100% hatch rate which I am really shocked and happy with!
Here are the first 4 that hatched yesterday after being moved to the brooder
I think my daughter is going with Puddle, Espresso, Mocha, and Gloria for these 4
3BB4C529-681B-40A7-80F1-58C2FA0392F0.jpeg

Not sure this is the right thread but I will ask my question here since there seems to be the most experience here. I have a guinea sitting on her nest in the coop. If she moves off the nest after the first couple eggs hatch can I move the remaining eggs to an incubator? If so, what settings should I use?

I would imagine that you could. Just candle them and see how far along they are and decide weather or not they should be on lockdown settings (most likely though)

Bad picture, but we have chicks hatching! Four silkies so far.
View attachment 1755229
My daughter, who is in charge of them while I'm gone, has already named them.

I also have a working list of names lol.

7 hatched so far, last two are zipping! That’s a 100% hatch rate which I am really shocked and happy with!
Here are the first 4 that hatched yesterday after being moved to the brooder
I think my daughter is going with Puddle, Espresso, Mocha, and Gloria for these 4
View attachment 1755276

Adorable babies! I had silkies hatch this weekend too :)

I do have one that has a weird leg thing going on and a turkey poult that can't seem to start off it's back :/

Well, my hatch is not going great. I was gone over the weekend and left my 13yo in charge. I said, Do NOT open the hatcher. She opened it. Often. She thought they needed help because it was taking too long and peeled shells off some of them. The humidity was very low when I got home last night and the chicks that were hatching had stuck on shells and membranes.

Sigh. She meant well.

We have 8 silkies out of 13 and only 2 of my mixes out of 7. All were alive when I put them in lockdown. I will candle later and see if there are any still trying.

Well, my hatch is not going great. I was gone over the weekend and left my 13yo in charge. I said, Do NOT open the hatcher. She opened it. Often. She thought they needed help because it was taking too long and peeled shells off some of them. The humidity was very low when I got home last night and the chicks that were hatching had stuck on shells and membranes.

Sigh. She meant well.

We have 8 silkies out of 13 and only 2 of my mixes out of 7. All were alive when I put them in lockdown. I will candle later and see if there are any still trying.

I've had that happen at a couple schools. (The teachers meant well & were simply removing chicks after each hatched - instead of waiting until the hatch is done.) I have had luck assist hatching some of those shrink wrapped chicks that got stuck while zipping. It wasn't their fault the humidity wasn't high enough. Basically soak the chick/shell/membranes in warm water (with the beak up of course). Use a Qtip if needed to moisten all exposed, dried membranes. Once membranes are soft, they slide off.

How many eggs does she have? Usually they don’t leave till they all hatch, but if she does, I don’t see why they couldn’t be transferred to the incubator to finish. Then you can likely give them back to her.

Sigh. She meant well.

:barnie
It’s hard to be mad at them when they think they are helping, but hopefully a few more make it.

With guineas I would take the eggs now and put them all in the incubator..

Guineas are bad mothers. They will most likely lose all the keets in a few days.

Also guinea nests have so many eggs when they start to sit not all will get heated..

I have picked 50 eggs from my guinea nests..

If they seem dejected once the eggs are missing, give them a gun and some knifes and tell them to wait by the edge of the road to rob someone.. they will be happy then...

Back
Top Bottom