Incubators Anonymous

Has anybody had experience with golden comets? one of my neighbors has some and offered me eggs to hatch. After a little research I found out they don't breed true. So what can anyone tell me about the offspring of golden comets?

Golden comet x golden comet just gives you mutts. You have to have the two true breeds used to make golden comets in order to get more :)

golden comets are a mutt 'breed' that is sexable at hatch designed for egg production. if you really want to breed something, pick a pure breed.

it's a cross between a white rock hen and new hampshire roo.

golden comets are a mutt 'breed' that is sexable at hatch designed for egg production. if you really want to breed something, pick a pure breed.

it's a cross between a white rock hen and new hampshire roo.

I agree with breeding pure breeds. My neighbor just offered them and I didn't know much about them.

There is a big demand for Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They are beautiful birds. Why not go that route?

BLRW are really tough to breed and breed well. Aside from type you also have color & quality of lacing, plus Wyandottes are known for having fertility issues. If someone is just starting out, maybe not the best breed/variety to learn with for that reason...though I agree they are stunningly beautiful!!

Last edited:
Quote: here i've been contemplating selling mine, and there you are talking me into keeping them again. LOL

i'm fortunate that i have good type in my birds (tho i don't like foley girl's tail, the rooster's tail is good so should balance her flaws).
i've got a blue laced red roo, splash laced red he and black laced red... so i'll know for sure any splash are out of lacey and any blacks are out of cagney, but the blues will be a ??

i know the roo's fertile, i've hatched dorking eggs by him, and i know the girls are too, their eggs have also hatched (by dorking roos), now to get them penned together, if/when i ever get some decent weather to work on the bleeping pens!

BLRW are really tough to breed and breed well. Aside from type you also have color & quality of lacing, plus Wyandottes are known for having fertility issues. If someone is just starting out, maybe not the best breed/variety to learn with for that reason...though I agree they are stunningly beautiful!!
When I took 76 eggs to the Philippines I got the best fertility and hatchability from the BLRW.

Go figure

Back
Top Bottom