Incubators Anonymous

What we do for eggs and chicks!!
big_smile.png

What we do for eggs and chicks!!
big_smile.png
that is an understatement

i bought an older dehumidifier on craigslist - no digital stuff.

I took the back off, isolated the outflow from the compressor and created a duct into the bator. did the same on the front. I have a humidistat in the bator I will set at 30%

its worth a try. its 70 bucks in supplies and 400 hours in thinking

I took the plugs out when I got the incubators, and haven't seen them since. - for newbies to the group, that was...  2 years ago +/-

i actually have dehimidifiers in my megabator in the phils. i pull a  cup of water a day out of the incubator.

the humidity in there is high - 40-50% so i dont add water at all during hatch - i move then to a hatcher and run it dry. the hatching chicks provide the extra humidity.

Well I have a second broody and she's a grumpy one. Dh said something to the effect of not caring if she hatched out 3 or 4 chicks so now I have to decide if I want to quickly buy some eggs or break out the food coloring for the hens whose eggs I'd want to put under her......decisions decisions. I already stole 5 out of the incubator for my broody silkie.

Ok so I ended up just buying a bator. I am trying to get all the temps and humidity right. I don't know if its just me but holy moly its been very humid here lately. I plugged it in with no water and it was at 65% .

Ok so I ended up just buying a bator. I am trying to get all the temps and humidity right. I don't know if its just me but holy moly its been very humid here lately. I plugged it in with no water and it was at 65% .

Congrats. Remember this is a learning process. You are going to want to start out with local eggs, something cheap until you get your system down. You don't want to be spending money on shipped eggs until you really know what you are doing. Shipped eggs are though even when you have your system down. And when you do get around to shipped eggs, be ready for hatch rates of 0 to 50%. When you buy off of here from the BST thread or the various auction threads make sure you go to the first page and read the rules. Many of them have eligibility requirements.
So start sourcing your eggs locally, and let the tests begin !!

Back
Top Bottom