Incuview Incubator

Hey, I’m just gonna jump in here:D I just wrapped up incubating 3 different sets of shipped eggs plus some from home in my 2 incuviews. It was a dismal hatch this go round sadly but the eggs that shipped from the shortest distance and my own eggs had the best outcome- I knew I was really risking it with how far the other eggs were coming from. But I had 2 other hatches in the incuview earlier this year and had over 90% hatch rate, so I think it’s more a shipped egg problem then an incubator problem. But my incuview has always ran way too hot unless I calibrate it to between +1.2-2.0. And I have temp differences from 99.5 along the front to +101 in one back corner and 100.5 in the other. So I just do my best to move the eggs around so the same ones aren’t always in the hot spots. And with shipped eggs I cut the bottom out of the cardboard egg cartons and cut the sides way down and put my shipped eggs in that until the aircells stabilize.

Yes I definitely agree about it being a shipped egg issue. In spite of each seller packaging the eggs well, they just don't tolerate shipping well. I'm in central NC and have received eggs from Texas, Florida, MO, Louisiana, and Ohio. The end result is horrible for probable good eggs that would have otherwise developed and hatched. I have been incubating in my Nuture Right 360 with a cardboard egg carton cut into individual cells, with the bottoms removed (like little bottomless cups with dipped sides). I have the same in the Incuview. I have left them to incubate like this for the entire time. I lost all of those eggs but they were a bit past prime incubation time when I received them (up to 16 days since being laid) plus went through USPS and spent Memorial Day somewhere in route. I just hope the egg carton and hand turning (leaning side to side for turning) wasn't the demise, but apparently those eggs had an awful lot of odds against them. Plus I've heard seramas aren't easy to hatch and they were seramas and serama mixes (crosses?). I am excited about incubating in the Incuview with this shipment. I've been diligent about checking everything and it's proved itself after running steadily for days.

I gave up on usps delivered eggs. I have driven 70 miles one way, to pick up eggs. another time I drove 65 miles for another batch.
same results with both. poor hatch.. even with careful handling, eggs just don't travel well. and then add usps on top of that and good luck..

Yes I definitely agree about it being a shipped egg issue. In spite of each seller packaging the eggs well, they just don't tolerate shipping well. I'm in central NC and have received eggs from Texas, Florida, MO, Louisiana, and Ohio. The end result is horrible for probable good eggs that would have otherwise developed and hatched. I have been incubating in my Nuture Right 360 with a cardboard egg carton cut into individual cells, with the bottoms removed (like little bottomless cups with dipped sides). I have the same in the Incuview. I have left them to incubate like this for the entire time. I lost all of those eggs but they were a bit past prime incubation time when I received them (up to 16 days since being laid) plus went through USPS and spent Memorial Day somewhere in route. I just hope the egg carton and hand turning (leaning side to side for turning) wasn't the demise, but apparently those eggs had an awful lot of odds against them. Plus I've heard seramas aren't easy to hatch and they were seramas and serama mixes (crosses?). I am excited about incubating in the Incuview with this shipment. I've been diligent about checking everything and it's proved itself after running steadily for days.
I hope you and your daughter have fun and at least get to see a few hatch through the incuviews great clear top! My daughter wanted splash silkies so that was our very first venture with hatching shipped eggs and the incuview- she ended up with a trio of a blue male and female and a black female(out of 2 dozen eggs😱) so she was sad that she didn’t get a splash.... but 3 weeks ago that blue hen hatched out 6 splash and 2 blue babies!! So it was worth it in the end lol. And we have had so much fun huddled around watching eggs hatch:jumpy her next wish is for some Icelandic eggs.

WTHeck is a unicorn chicken?
I just used "unicorn" as an adjective in it's something she's wanted for quite some time and figured her dream of having it wouldn't become reality
And I was just about to Google “unicorn chickens”! :gig

So it’s the Seramas she’s been pining for?

I agree with what people have posted about shipped eggs. I haven’t had good luck with the ones I’ve ordered. Part of it, I think, depends on your local post office or your nearest main distribution hub. Because it seems like some people try over and over, and the eggs are always delayed or roughed up. And other people never have those issues. I think it might be worth seeing if you know anybody who lives within a different distribution system to have the eggs mailed to them, and then you pick them up from there. I wonder, if the eggs travelled through different hands, if they would fare better. (I do realize this is a universal problem though, so it might not help.)

I hope you and your daughter have fun and at least get to see a few hatch through the incuviews great clear top! My daughter wanted splash silkies so that was our very first venture with hatching shipped eggs and the incuview- she ended up with a trio of a blue male and female and a black female(out of 2 dozen eggs😱) so she was sad that she didn’t get a splash.... but 3 weeks ago that blue hen hatched out 6 splash and 2 blue babies!! So it was worth it in the end lol. And we have had so much fun huddled around watching eggs hatch:jumpy her next wish is for some Icelandic eggs.

Edited to add that this reply was from last night but didn't post for some reason. To update, my silkie did accept the Dutch that hatched in the incubator, last night!

I loved reading your reply! That is so heartwarming and inspiring. Thank you for sharing that with me. In my many shipments of hatching eggs from the past month, today is Day 21 for some Dutch Bantams. I received 12 eggs that were packed so well, in my opinion, but took 5 days to be delivered to NC from FL! I incubated 7 eggs and put 5 under my broody silkie pullet. My broody ended up with 2 viable eggs on Day 17 and they both hatched this morning, a beautiful black chick and a Buff with grey (hopefully a splash as that is my favorite coloring, other than Blue). The egg in the incubator started rocking and chirping last night, externally pipped this morning, & hatched around 8pm tonight, with Erica (my daughter)"assisting" by singing an encouraging little song, which she truly believes helped the chick to hatch faster and stronger. She's in LOVE (and she didn't even want any Dutch because she only wanted her breed). I sure do hope this little chick makes it because she feels bonded to it of course. I'm hoping my silkie will accept it because I don't believe it will have any hatchmates. If we get some to hatch in the Incuview, I feel like she'll enjoy the hatch so much more being able to see so well with the Incuview. I am hopeful that we'll get some chicks from that hatch. I have other batches/clutches/breeds in the other incubator that will be due to hatch next week

And I was just about to Google “unicorn chickens”! :gig

So it’s the Seramas she’s been pining for?

I agree with what people have posted about shipped eggs. I haven’t had good luck with the ones I’ve ordered. Part of it, I think, depends on your local post office or your nearest main distribution hub. Because it seems like some people try over and over, and the eggs are always delayed or roughed up. And other people never have those issues. I think it might be worth seeing if you know anybody who lives within a different distribution system to have the eggs mailed to them, and then you pick them up from there. I wonder, if the eggs travelled through different hands, if they would fare better. (I do realize this is a universal problem though, so it might not help.)
I apologize for the confusion. Between here (BYC) and my 8 year old, that's the extent of my communications, so I really didn't even think about using "unicorn" in a way that it's not intended. My daughter can be a bit dramatic (I'm not even going to try to act like she didn't get it honestly, from me, hahaha) so we've had very in depth conversations about how much she wants this breed of chickens. I would think a child would dream of having Seramas too, but no, she's in love with................... Wait for it.................. Showgirls! She's liked them for as long as she's known about them before we knew the breed name. Then there was a thread on here "What chicken bread would you never own" or it might even have been worded "chicken breed you hate most" or something along those lines and lots of people replied with "Showgirls". I guess my strong unwavering "root for the underdog" train of thought was passed onto her, because that seemed to seal the deal for her. She's asked me about getting them, on at least a weekly basis, since. There are 11 showgirl eggs sitting in the Incuview now. These are the first eggs to go in the Incuview, so I really hope we have some to hatch, for Erica's (my daughter) sake and just so we can enjoy the viewing window. Just to share how horrible things have been with shipped eggs for me, my first clutch (is it called a clutch even if they're being artificially incubated?) was 11 eggs seramas and serama x silkie was a complete loss (but eggs were around 16 days old before I received them + other factors). My current clutch (?) was 12 Dutch Bantams. I put 5 under my broody silkie and she hatched 2. The other 7 went into the incubator and 2 made it to lockdown, with 1 hatching last night. I just checked the other one and it still seems ok, so maybe just going to hatch late, as today is Day 22. I have 4 more clutches that are due to hatch at various times. One of them being the Showgirls that are in the Incuview and I'll be leaving them in there for the entire process. With having so many different hatch dates, I'm having to transfer whatever eggs make it to lockdown, to another incubator. So there are 3 incubators going at the moment, but I must say, I am most excited about the Incuview.

It looks to me like you got the incuview running properly now? Four therms and four different temps is discouraging for sure, but not at all uncommon if the variances are small. I've given up with shipped eggs but cut up egg cartons do fit inside the incuview, with or without the turner. I wish you the best of luck!

Edited to add that this reply was from last night but didn't post for some reason. To update, my silkie did accept the Dutch that hatched in the incubator, last night!

I loved reading your reply! That is so heartwarming and inspiring. Thank you for sharing that with me. In my many shipments of hatching eggs from the past month, today is Day 21 for some Dutch Bantams. I received 12 eggs that were packed so well, in my opinion, but took 5 days to be delivered to NC from FL! I incubated 7 eggs and put 5 under my broody silkie pullet. My broody ended up with 2 viable eggs on Day 17 and they both hatched this morning, a beautiful black chick and a Buff with grey (hopefully a splash as that is my favorite coloring, other than Blue). The egg in the incubator started rocking and chirping last night, externally pipped this morning, & hatched around 8pm tonight, with Erica (my daughter)"assisting" by singing an encouraging little song, which she truly believes helped the chick to hatch faster and stronger. She's in LOVE (and she didn't even want any Dutch because she only wanted her breed). I sure do hope this little chick makes it because she feels bonded to it of course. I'm hoping my silkie will accept it because I don't believe it will have any hatchmates. If we get some to hatch in the Incuview, I feel like she'll enjoy the hatch so much more being able to see so well with the Incuview. I am hopeful that we'll get some chicks from that hatch. I have other batches/clutches/breeds in the other incubator that will be due to hatch next week

I apologize for the confusion. Between here (BYC) and my 8 year old, that's the extent of my communications, so I really didn't even think about using "unicorn" in a way that it's not intended. My daughter can be a bit dramatic (I'm not even going to try to act like she didn't get it honestly, from me, hahaha) so we've had very in depth conversations about how much she wants this breed of chickens. I would think a child would dream of having Seramas too, but no, she's in love with................... Wait for it.................. Showgirls! She's liked them for as long as she's known about them before we knew the breed name. Then there was a thread on here "What chicken bread would you never own" or it might even have been worded "chicken breed you hate most" or something along those lines and lots of people replied with "Showgirls". I guess my strong unwavering "root for the underdog" train of thought was passed onto her, because that seemed to seal the deal for her. She's asked me about getting them, on at least a weekly basis, since. There are 11 showgirl eggs sitting in the Incuview now. These are the first eggs to go in the Incuview, so I really hope we have some to hatch, for Erica's (my daughter) sake and just so we can enjoy the viewing window. Just to share how horrible things have been with shipped eggs for me, my first clutch (is it called a clutch even if they're being artificially incubated?) was 11 eggs seramas and serama x silkie was a complete loss (but eggs were around 16 days old before I received them + other factors). My current clutch (?) was 12 Dutch Bantams. I put 5 under my broody silkie and she hatched 2. The other 7 went into the incubator and 2 made it to lockdown, with 1 hatching last night. I just checked the other one and it still seems ok, so maybe just going to hatch late, as today is Day 22. I have 4 more clutches that are due to hatch at various times. One of them being the Showgirls that are in the Incuview and I'll be leaving them in there for the entire process. With having so many different hatch dates, I'm having to transfer whatever eggs make it to lockdown, to another incubator. So there are 3 incubators going at the moment, but I must say, I am most excited about the Incuview.
That’s pretty funny because my daughter wanted showgirls too lol, there were a few included with her silkie eggs but none of them hatched(I wasn’t too sad about that bc I do not share her love of them) so I hope your daughter gets her showgirls!

I’m still trying to decide if I should get this incubator. I bet if they rounded the inside corners like Hovabator the humidity and heat issues would be eliminated

Back
Top Bottom