INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Countdown to crazyness. My chicks should ship in six days. I can already feel the hand-wringing coming on.

Can anyone in the Indianapolis area share any experience or insight on picking up chicks from our wonderful postal system?

I'm starting to re-think my mid-winter chick order.

They're scheduled to ship next week.
Ideal will add a heat pack for $3 per section in the box.

For pickup, Bargersville PO is the last stop on my boxes journey. BUT if I want to, I can pick up 1 stop sooner so long as I don't mind dragging myself out in the wee hours of the morning. You might be able to do the same if your local PO opens 7 am or later. Just call the local PO and they can tell you where the mail is before it comes to them.

Countdown to crazyness. My chicks should ship in six days. I can already feel the hand-wringing coming on.

Can anyone in the Indianapolis area share any experience or insight on picking up chicks from our wonderful postal system?
My post office calls as soon as the chicks come in. In Mooresville, this is usually about 5am. They also allow me to show up before they open to pick up the chicks. I would call your local office and ask them to call you and also find out when you can pick them up. You definitely don't want them trying to deliver chicks.

I love tax time! :-D

I'm not sure which PO is my local. I'll have to call around once Ideal tells me the chicks are on the way.

Chicks: I haven't gotten chicks via mail, but my neighbors said that the PO calls early in the morning with a statement like, "You've got a package her for pick up, and it's peeping."

Eggs: This I've done a few times. I got the best hatch rate not from the closest but from the least handled. The breeder drove them to her PO for drop off & requested my PO to hold for pick up here. My PO missed the "hold for pick up" part, so they got an extra ride, but still a good hatch. My daughter got a 60% hatch rate from those eggs (1500 mi journey) and an 8% hatch from the eggs shipped only 250 mi.

Ok this is Too weird!!!! If anyone noticed the humongous egg I took a picture of and posted the other day? Well this is why it was soooo big!
Yep it was a double yoker with a whole other egg inside!
this is definitely a first for me!

FYI, I wanted to let everyone know the diseases which are considered "reportable" to the State of Indiana. This holds true whether the disease is diagnosed by a veterinarian, a laboratory, or you as a "producer." The state isn't going to shut anyone down, but they will give advise, etc., on culling or treatment or management practices if you wind up with one of the big bad diseases which are hazardous in our flocks.

Here's the link: https://secure.in.gov/boah/2372.htm

Back
Top Bottom