INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Posting this again since its been a while. I have a 16 month old female potbelly pig, about 50 pounds, up for adoption. Not spayed.. she is people friendly and very affectionate. My DD moved and couldn't take her, so now Marla needs a home. I adore her, but I really don't have time or room for pets. And, she is making my boar hog crazy. Moved her over by my piglets but he knows she is here, lol. My boar is close to 300 pounds.

Been falling behind on the thread again this week. I am so sorry to hear about the chick losses everyone's been enduring. My good friend over in OH also lost a group of her chicks from Cocci. She has never had it before in the 9 years of keeping chickens.
Noticed another small hawk trying to go after my teenage poults and chicks today. Was so proud watching my turkey hens swooping after it, the tom racing ahead of them and chasing it off!
Does anyone keep Rouen ducks? I want to get honest opinions about the breed. Do they lay fairly well, etc...My "mallards" aren't mallards, they are without a doubt Rouen. Way too big already, nearly the size of my mature pekins.
I'm sending you a pm. But I need to rehome my mallards that I got from Patrick.

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. I've been pretty darn sick for a week and am finally recovering, but still not all there. Thought a stomach bug, a friend mentioned food poisoning but I couldn't figure out what I ate that was different from my family - but wait, I bought fresh mango salsa last Wed. No-one else ate it. That is the day I got sick - I've never had something like this for so long. Thank you for your sympathy about the loss of my chick and thanks to everyone who gave me input about the lice issue. My main reason to post is this:

If You Live In Indianapolis You Must Read This Important Info about Indy Rezone!

If you would like the info below e-mailed to you in a Word Document so you can pass it on (PLEASE do pass it on) PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you (formatting got a little messed up on here). My second apology is - sorry if you get sick of hearing about this from me. My plan is to repost this, and any additional info often, to make sure as many as possible see it.

It seems that Indy Rezone has done a good job hiding the ordinances in their new zoning document that is well over 600 pages long.
We transferred the document into a Word document so we could make it a searchable document and find anything hidden. Yes we are skeptical, it was only after repeated requests to see this document, and even being told by the City-Council office that no one, not even the council members would see the document before the actual City-Council meeting, that finally it was posted online. If you wish to have the searchable Word document you can access it at this link
https://copy.com/pAwC1I46qpOItu1F

You can access the pdf here: http://www.indy.gov/egov/city/dmd/planning/services/current/Pages/ordinance.aspx

Just in case you think I am being overly skeptical about them trying to hide this info, when you look at the table of contents, there is nothing about personal livestock here:
Chapter 743 Use and Use Specific Standards, Article III, Section 04 Use-Specific Standards, Agricultural, Animal Related, and Food Production Uses (pg. 483 of the pdf)
Nope, Nothing there where, wouldn’t you agree, as you look at the index it makes the most sense?? When trying to find info in a LONG book don’t you look at the table of contents especially when there is not an index?

Here is where you find the pertinent livestock information: It is in Chapter 743, BUT further on, sandwiched in such a logical place, right in-between S. Outdoor Storage Operations and V. Pick-up Station for Dry cleaning and Laundry. Under Section 06. Accessory and Temporary Uses, (with nothing labeled in the table of contents pointing you to this section) you find (drum roll please) T. Personal Garden and U. Personal Livestock. (pages 526-528 of the pdf, the Word document link pages do not correspond to the PDF)

If you were at the public meetings last July (2014), and if you submitted comments, you may have the same sense of frustration we have over the things that are even more restrictive than originally proposed in the draft, as well as the things the drafters of this Zoning Ordinance seemingly completely ignored regarding the questions and concerns the citizens have.

This is the beauty of how our government works – Government Represents the people – If you live in Indianapolis - YOU are the people and we MUST make ourselves heard!!! According to the .gov link above:

"After months of editting [sic] and incorporating the public comments, the Consolidated Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance is ready for the Metropolitan Development Commission. The Commission will consider the draft on June 17, 2015."

Let our Government know what you think. For starters, contact the Metropolitan Development Commission and contact your Councillor. Also spread the word, let everyone know so they can make their voice heard and attend any public meeting possible! Why? Read on to find out!

I am copying the pertinent parts below but first a couple thing to point out (I’m sure there are more, this is just the starting point!):
  1. There is nothing we can find in the document that mentions any livestock you currently own being Grandfathered in.
  2. In order to have goats you must have 1 acre – no consideration to the size of the goats
3. Under “1.” It says “shall be for personal use only” – does this mean people can no longer sell or even give away eggs?
4.Under “3.” A “Personal Livestock License” pursuant to Chapter 838 of the Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County. There is no Chapter 838 in the current code or the revised code.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me HOW these things help make us as the city of Indianapolis more sustainable:

1. Personal Livestock1596
The following standards govern the keeping of Personal Livestock as an accessory use in all zoning districts except Agricultural Uses and lots in the D-A district over three acres in size.
  1. This use must be accessory to a single-family detached or two-family dwelling as the principal use on the same lot or parcel and shall be for personal use only.
  2. The caretaker or owner of the animal must reside on the same lot as the animal.
  3. The following domesticated adult animals are permitted outside in accordance with Table 743-306-3 without a Personal Livestock License pursuant to Chapter 838 of the Revised Code of the Consolidated City and County.1597 All Category One animals may be present on a lot so long as any required minimum lot size is met. However, only a maximum of four Category Two animals may be present on a lot so long as the minimum lot size is met.
  4. The number of domesticated adult animals may be increased or kept on a smaller lot if the owner maintains a valid Personal Livestock License and the conditions of that license are maintained.1598
Table 743-306-3: Permitted Personal Livestock

Domesticated Animal

Category

Maximum
Number of
Adult Animals on a Lot [1]

Minimum
Lot Size

Rabbits

One

No minimum
Chickens, Quail, Pigeons and Ducks

One

No minimum
Miniature / Dwarf / Pygmy Goats that are female, or neutered male goats1599

One

1/4 acre
Sheep and Goats that are female or neutered male goats

Two

1 acre
Miniature Equine (horses, donkeys, mules) and Lamoids (alpacas, llamas)1600

Two

1 acre
Equine (horses, donkeys, mules)

Two

2 acres
Note:
[1] Adult animals are those animals 8-months of age and older.

This use and these Use-specific Standards have been separated from Personal Garden, and standards 1 and 2 has been added to clarify the intent. 1597
Quantities apply to adult animals, which are 8-months and older; this affords time to wean and accommodate offspring until they are either slaughtered or rehomed.
New; option to have more animals with a license, which allows provisions to be made that are more contextsensitive. Cumulative amounts set.
Separated standard-sized from Miniature/ Dwarf breeds of goats.

Separated standard-sized from Miniature breeds of equine and combined lamoids into this standard.
  1. Roosters are limited to one per lot and between dusk to dawn the rooster must be kept inside an enclosed coop or similar fully-enclosed structure.[1]
  2. Bee-keeping is permitted in accordance with the use-specific standards identified under Personal Garden. [2]
  3. Outside exercise area and pasture must be fenced and must not be located in the front yard. Pen, shelter, coop, roost, hutch, or other shelter for animals must not be located in a front yard and must meet setbacks required in the district. Animals must at all times be confined to the lot.
  4. Reasonable care of the animals must be afforded in all aspects including proper handling, restraining, sheltering, exercise, grooming, nutrition, watering, parasite and waste management, and veterinary care for the species of animal kept. Industry or breed standards for the breed and type of animal may be used to determine whether reasonable care is being provided. Poor condition or health in the absence of veterinary supervision is prima facie evidence of a violation.1603
  5. Clean water must at all times be present and available for the animals. Feed must be animal-appropriate and stored in such a manner as to prohibit contamination by moisture, mold, and insects and to restrict access by rodents.[3]
  6. Odors from the animals or from animal waste must not be discernible at any property line.[4]
  7. Waste must be collected and removed or composted regularly.
  8. Slaughter must be limited to personal livestock, must not be conducted in the front yard, and must be conducted within a completely screened area. Remains must be disposed of and removed from the site within 24 hours.[5]
  9. Domesticated dogs and cats are not regulated by this Section 743-306.U. Refer to Kennels.

[1] New standard; roosters inside the roost at night eliminates many noise issues.
[2] Personal Garden standards refereneced instead of listed again here to avoid inconsistencies. 1603 New; basic animal husbandry standard added.
[3] New
[4] New
[5] New

DD's project & new surprise:
The 4H project (Broody vs incubator) has been very interesting! First, my silly Cookie tried to go broody in sub zero temps. Thankfully she gave up that idea & went broody again in March. Mid April hatched out some chicks from Kittydoc & Chickcrazed. Both groups, when averaged, had the same hate rate %. DD enjoyed mothering the incubator group. They are more affectionate, but the broody group is more athletic & had no problems with the rest of the flock.

When chicks were only 3 weeks old, Cookie started laying. Last week, Cookie went broody - AGAIN! (Her babies are only 8wks.) I picked up some fertile eggs & slipped them in last night. (DD wants to do a second trial) This morning I found my EE on the fertile eggs & poor Cookie one nest over. My EE is certainly sounding broody. She's 2 & never went broody before. Could she have learned from Cookie? I kicked the EE out & placed Cookie back on the eggs. Here's where it gets really strange. Under Cookie was one of the marked fertile eggs. The nests are 8" off the ground. How could a tiny chicken move an egg? I know where I put them last night!

To stop the movement of hens & eggs, I put some mesh over the nest opening. If the EE continues broodiness, I may split the eggs. Meanwhile, the kids swear they did not move the egg.

Been falling behind on the thread again this week. I am so sorry to hear about the chick losses everyone's been enduring. My good friend over in OH also lost a group of her chicks from Cocci. She has never had it before in the 9 years of keeping chickens.
Noticed another small hawk trying to go after my teenage poults and chicks today. Was so proud watching my turkey hens swooping after it, the tom racing ahead of them and chasing it off!
Does anyone keep Rouen ducks? I want to get honest opinions about the breed. Do they lay fairly well, etc...My "mallards" aren't mallards, they are without a doubt Rouen. Way too big already, nearly the size of my mature pekins.

I have two Rouen hens, one Black Swedish, one Pekin hen, one muscovy hen and two Pekin drakes. The Rouens are the most consistent layers so far and have never gone broody. Both lay huge eggs all over the yard a few times a week. They're friendlier in general than the other hens (excepting only the muscovy). Not bossy. Pretty quiet by comparison. I've heard young ducks may fly short distances but have never seen it. One of our hens is very large; the other is very small. Rorschach is almost as big as my Pekin drakes, but Sue is much smaller--about the size of my Pekin hen. In general, Rouens and Pekins of the same gender should be about the same size. Eggs are identical.

Pekin drake over Rouen hen yields offspring that are either identical to Rouens or yellow with brown racing stripes. As they've aged, the babies take more after the Rouen side in terms of color.

DD's project & new surprise:
The 4H project (Broody vs incubator) has been very interesting! First, my silly Cookie tried to go broody in sub zero temps. Thankfully she gave up that idea & went broody again in March. Mid April hatched out some chicks from Kittydoc & Chickcrazed. Both groups, when averaged, had the same hate rate %. DD enjoyed mothering the incubator group. They are more affectionate, but the broody group is more athletic & had no problems with the rest of the flock.

When chicks were only 3 weeks old, Cookie started laying. Last week, Cookie went broody - AGAIN! (Her babies are only 8wks.) I picked up some fertile eggs & slipped them in last night. (DD wants to do a second trial) This morning I found my EE on the fertile eggs & poor Cookie one nest over. My EE is certainly sounding broody. She's 2 & never went broody before. Could she have learned from Cookie? I kicked the EE out & placed Cookie back on the eggs. Here's where it gets really strange. Under Cookie was one of the marked fertile eggs. The nests are 8" off the ground. How could a tiny chicken move an egg? I know where I put them last night!

To stop the movement of hens & eggs, I put some mesh over the nest opening. If the EE continues broodiness, I may split the eggs. Meanwhile, the kids swear they did not move the egg.

So I hopefully picking up some midget white poults (older poults more like half grown). I know nothing about midget whites. But it's the only lead on heritage breeds in my area I've had all spring and they are priced right. Also my current flock free ranges all day even the chicks and ducklings. How long will I have to coop everyone up before I can free range again? I don't want to shut the hens out as they go back in and lay eggs throughout the day. Thanks!

The 6 cream Legbar eggs are here and haven't heard from the other breeder. I have the certificate, these eggs are clean of disease and came from a good breeder in TX. can someone help me get the hatched?

They just arrived today. Ideas?

The 6 cream Legbar eggs are here and haven't heard from the other breeder. I have the certificate, these eggs are clean of disease and came from a good breeder in TX. can someone help me get the hatched?

They just arrived today. Ideas?
With shipped eggs, you may get a lot of detached air cells. (or worse rolling air cells) Unwrap the eggs & place them in a cool area- like basement - with the air cells up for 12-24 hrs. This may help them reattach. Candle before incubating. If the air cells look good, incubate like normal. if they're still wiggly, don't turn those eggs for the 1st couple days. I like to incubate shipped eggs standing up.

Back
Top Bottom