INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

The 6 cream Legbar eggs are here and haven't heard from the other breeder. I have the certificate, these eggs are clean of disease and came from a good breeder in TX. can someone help me get the hatched?

They just arrived today. Ideas?

With shipped eggs, you may get a lot of detached air cells. (or worse rolling air cells)  Unwrap the eggs & place them in a cool area-  like basement - with the air cells up for 12-24 hrs.  This may help them reattach.  Candle before incubating.  If the air cells look good, incubate like normal.  if they're still wiggly, don't turn those eggs for the 1st couple days.  I like to incubate shipped eggs standing up.

Thanks I transferred them to a regular carton with pointy end down and put them in our cooler guest room. The problem is my friend is not going to run her big incubator for 6 eggs, we were expecting 2 dozen at least from the other breeder who didn't come through. I think somehting happened with the other breeder, she hasn't been on FB for over a week and she's very active, especially in the breed room for her breed.

So that leaves me with no way to hatch these 6 Greenfire Farm legbar eggs. They aren't from Greenfire, they are from a good breeder in TX but from that line. She sent a cert. they are free of diseases, clean.

So frustrated here today.

Everything was set then the other breeder didn't follow through, I paid through PayPal but that leaves me with just a few eggs and not sure how many wlll even hatch; my mail flock was coming from the other breeder, these Cream Legbar were eye candy and making up small part. IF I an get them hatched, sigh.

About to cry.

Thanks I transferred them to a regular carton with pointy end down and put them in our cooler guest room. The problem is my friend is not going to run her big incubator for 6 eggs, we were expecting 2 dozen at least from the other breeder who didn't come through. I think somehting happened with the other breeder, she hasn't been on FB for over a week and she's very active, especially in the breed room for her breed.

So that leaves me with no way to hatch these 6 Greenfire Farm legbar eggs. They aren't from Greenfire, they are from a good breeder in TX but from that line. She sent a cert. they are free of diseases, clean.

Everything was set then the other breeder didn't follow through, I paid through PayPal but that leaves me with just a few eggs and not sure how many wlll even hatch; my mail flock was coming from the other breeder, these Cream Legbar were eye candy and making up small part. IF I an get them hatched, sigh.

About to cry.

Where are you located? Maybe if you post where in the state you are located someone would be willing to hatch them for a fee.

I am very close to Indy. I don't know how much we can afford. My Mennoite friend was going to hatch them with the others I was supposed to get for a fee of 35 cents per live bird.

But I am very close to Indy.

Thanks.

About to cry.
How frustrating! @kittydoc is in Zionsville area, @racinchickins is in Mooresville area, @jchny2000 is in Pendleton area -- check out our members' list for others in the Indy area. INDIANA BYC Members' List
So I hopefully picking up some midget white poults (older poults more like half grown). I know nothing about midget whites. But it's the only lead on heritage breeds in my area I've had all spring and they are priced right. Also my current flock free ranges all day even the chicks and ducklings. How long will I have to coop everyone up before I can free range again? I don't want to shut the hens out as they go back in and lay eggs throughout the day. Thanks!
Midget white turkeys are cute! Are you asking about "coop everyone up" as far as the avian flu threat, or do you mean cooping up the new poults to quarantine them? Good quarantine info here: The Chicken Chick: Quarantine of Backyard Chickens ...

If you're referring to the avian flu threat, IMO, I'd would read the updated AI info that our members recently posted, and then do what your gut instincts tell you (scientific-lol). Personally, I am allowing my flock of 9 hens to free range in the fenced part of our backyard, but I haven't been taking them out for "field trips" to large open areas of our backyard. That probably doesn't make sense, but I don't want to coop them up in a covered run. I figure that keeping them in a smaller, but comfortable area at least reduces the chances of them coming into contact with waterfowl waste.
In addition to catching another monster that's been invading my coop yesterday, I got a big surprise when I went to close things up last night. My broody that has eggs due to hatch Thursday already had a chick hatched! This morning she has 3 cute balls of fuzz with her!

I wanted to blame her early hatch on the fact that she refused to move off her eggs even to go to he bathroom but... I also have a chick out in my bator along with another pipped!!
1f604.png

Congrats on your new fuzzy babies! Hope you have them in a place where a rat can't access.

Hi, all, it's been a while since I posted so I thought I would stop by here. :) Mainly, I wanted to post about my newest addition. I don't know if anyone will remember, but I had 6 call duck eggs from my pair in the incubator, one of which was a blood ring. Of the 5 remaining, one died at about day 14, so 4 were left. Well, long story short, 3 of those 4 were malpositioned, and I didn't figure it out until it was too late for me to save them. :( So I have another lone duckling.

Ironically, the duckling that hatched was the one that I thought was least likely to make it. This duckling hatched out of an egg that I had accidentally dropped while candling it about 5 days before the estimated hatch date. My dad and I patched it up with candle wax, and sure enough, baby pipped 2 days before the hatch date! At first, having a lone call duckling again, I was so scared that I would lose him like I lost the last one (which was one reason why I had been hesitant to post about him), but it has become evident to me that there was more wrong with the last one than just my inexperience. There are a lot of differences in behavior and growth between this duckling and the last one. This baby is 12 days old today, the age that I lost the last one, and is easily twice the size (or more!) that the other duckling was, and so much more energetic!

Okay, overly long explanation done. Meet Crashie! :D

As a single duckling, he's been kind of lonely, but I definitely didn't want to bring in any new birds from another flock at the moment, so I've given him a couple stuffed animals, a mirror, and this Easter chick toy that chirps when you touch its feet. The Easter chick has been his favorite thus far, and I've gotten a picture of him next to it almost every day so far so that I can go back and see how much he's grown. This is him at 3 days, 9 days, and then today at 12 days:

Sorry for the picture overload, he's just too cute. :love

I am very close to Indy. I don't know how much we can afford. My Mennoite friend was going to hatch them with the others I was supposed to get for a fee of 35 cents per live bird.

Thanks.
I wish we lived closer. My DD's project involves hatching eggs. I already know we're just going to give the chicks away when we're done. We already have our keepers, so any other hatches she does for the experiment have to be rehomed. Last year we were fortunate to find someone in your situation. He paid for the eggs & DD hatched them for free. We got the data; he got the chicks.

The 6 cream Legbar eggs are here and haven't heard from the other breeder. I have the certificate, these eggs are clean of disease and came from a good breeder in TX. can someone help me get the hatched?

They just arrived today. Ideas?

where are you located? if you aren't to far away I have some extra styro bators I could loan you to get you through this hatch. I live in southern Ind. There wouldn't be a fee or maybe we could do a trade, if you could meet me somewhere where I don't have to drive too far. I would hate for you to lose these eggs.

Last edited:

Thanks.

I wish we lived closer.  My DD's project involves hatching eggs.  I already know we're just going to give the chicks away when we're done.  We already have our keepers, so any other hatches she does for the experiment have to be rehomed.  Last year we were fortunate to find someone in your situation.  He paid for the eggs & DD hatched them for free.  We got the data; he got the chicks.

Very nice!

Quote:

About to cry.
So if you had more eggs your friend would run her big incubator for you?
If so, I have eggs, barnyard mixed but fertile. I'll donate 17- how ever many more I collect tomorrow. All you have to do is be able to drive about 35 minutes south of the Indy Children's Museum to pick up the eggs at our local bank. It needs to be after 4:30 and before 7:15pm.
That would give you enugh eggs hopefully. Also @racinchickins is close to me and might still have his breeding pens up for CCL eggs and breese eggs too.
@jchny2000 is north and east of Indy She might have some eggs you could get.

My guess is that if you pick up enough local eggs your friend will set them. If they are chicks you don't want, like my barnyard mixes, you can bring them to me. One time offer to bring me the chicks as I've set the end of my eggs for a while and am looking forward to the end of chick season. Now fertile barnyard eggs I'll have for most of the summer.

Hi, all, it's been a while since I posted so I thought I would stop by here. :) Mainly, I wanted to post about my newest addition. I don't know if anyone will remember, but I had 6 call duck eggs from my pair in the incubator, one of which was a blood ring. Of the 5 remaining, one died at about day 14, so 4 were left. Well, long story short, 3 of those 4 were malpositioned, and I didn't figure it out until it was too late for me to save them. :( So I have another lone duckling.

Ironically, the duckling that hatched was the one that I thought was least likely to make it. This duckling hatched out of an egg that I had accidentally dropped while candling it about 5 days before the estimated hatch date. My dad and I patched it up with candle wax, and sure enough, baby pipped 2 days before the hatch date! At first, having a lone call duckling again, I was so scared that I would lose him like I lost the last one (which was one reason why I had been hesitant to post about him), but it has become evident to me that there was more wrong with the last one than just my inexperience. There are a lot of differences in behavior and growth between this duckling and the last one. This baby is 12 days old today, the age that I lost the last one, and is easily twice the size (or more!) that the other duckling was, and so much more energetic!

Okay, overly long explanation done. Meet Crashie! :D

As a single duckling, he's been kind of lonely, but I definitely didn't want to bring in any new birds from another flock at the moment, so I've given him a couple stuffed animals, a mirror, and this Easter chick toy that chirps when you touch its feet. The Easter chick has been his favorite thus far, and I've gotten a picture of him next to it almost every day so far so that I can go back and see how much he's grown. This is him at 3 days, 9 days, and then today at 12 days:

Sorry for the picture overload, he's just too cute. :love

Adorable!!!

Back
Top Bottom