INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Nyla Sadly, I think there are many people who think it is okay, and just plain lazy at the expense of other living creatures, to keep their poultry in the conditions you describe.

The place where I purchased our first two Muscovies from was a good place, who took care of them right, and the seller was happy that she knew they were going to a good home, with a pond.

The next two we added from another place, was dirty, muddy, and their kiddie pool needed changing. I had to go in muddy poo to catch them. No bedding in their house, just muddy poo. They did get to go outside to free range though.

There was also a bunny in a cage that needed rescuing, and if I had another pet carrier, like I though of taking just in case but didn't, I would have offered to purchase the bunny. Not as bad as the place you're describing though.

Had a big surprise this morning! I have had the incubators up and running a couple weeks, mostly for geese and duck eggs. I put in a few chicken eggs to increase my flock, and had a surprise hatch a week early! I suspect the OEG hens were brooding. 2 OEG standard hatched! 3rd didn't make it out of the shell. Here is the 1st one that was dry this morning!View attachment 1033925
OK that picture worked! More tomorrow.

Are you hatching any more OEG? Will you be parting with any of them? I would LOVE to add a couple to my flock.

It was very saddening. I'm thinking of selling my chickens so I can go back and buy the rest of their muscovies. But they have geese, goats, and chickens as well. I feel so horrible leaving them there. And they had the muscovies hatching lots more eggs.. I've been telling all my friends to get them to buy their animals so they can have a better home. More upsetting that I'm helping them make more money off animals they don't care for.. At least my new babies are happy. One of the blue pieds I just got only lets my 1 yr old son touch her. She runs up to him and lays down. He pulls her feathers and beak. But she seems to not mind it.

The puppy made her first formal bird kill. Very sad day here. Optimus Prime's sister, Arcee, died of subtle seeming injuries yesterday, and the puppy dragged the tail end of my yellow golden pheasant into the dining room as we were getting ready for dinner. She's never seemed to intend to harm a bird before, though she would try to play with them like they were dogs (which was absolutely not encouraged or tolerated). Very sad day here. Not getting back into pheasants, not with our living situation in the air, our finances nonexistent and our puppy thinking they're yummy squeaky toys. It's too heartbreaking. Needing to get out of poultry.

Got new Muscovies today!!! 17 Ducklings and traded 3 adults 1 male 2 females for 1 male and 2 females.
2 Ducklings are 1 week older then the others.
Don't have pictures of my new adults yet. Will take pictures of them tomorrow!
IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1652.JPG

Are you hatching any more OEG? Will you be parting with any of them? I would LOVE to add a couple to my flock.
I am hatching them. This rooster is a "one of a kind" fella, so sweet. My 2 hens are very social also. PM (personal message) me and we can plan.

It was very saddening. I'm thinking of selling my chickens so I can go back and buy the rest of their muscovies. But they have geese, goats, and chickens as well. I feel so horrible leaving them there. And they had the muscovies hatching lots more eggs.. I've been telling all my friends to get them to buy their animals so they can have a better home. More upsetting that I'm helping them make more money off animals they don't care for.. At least my new babies are happy. One of the blue pieds I just got only lets my 1 yr old son touch her. She runs up to him and lays down. He pulls her feathers and beak. But she seems to not mind it.
Buying from a bad situation only supports what they are doing. They will just keep breeding and selling, more animals are placed at risk. Stop the cycle! I do understand your feelings to save them! Honestly, report it. I worked in animal care and control 5 years. So many hoarders and backyard breeders. If they are reported the animals will be saved.
ETA There are a number of awesome caring people out there. They believe in breed conservancy and good care for the animals they keep. My point is research the breeder, google them. If conditions are bad report them. That stops abuse and saves a breed from extinction.

The puppy made her first formal bird kill. Very sad day here. Optimus Prime's sister, Arcee, died of subtle seeming injuries yesterday, and the puppy dragged the tail end of my yellow golden pheasant into the dining room as we were getting ready for dinner. She's never seemed to intend to harm a bird before, though she would try to play with them like they were dogs (which was absolutely not encouraged or tolerated). Very sad day here. Not getting back into pheasants, not with our living situation in the air, our finances nonexistent and our puppy thinking they're yummy squeaky toys. It's too heartbreaking. Needing to get out of poultry.
:( I am so sorry. Let me know what you need, will do all I can to help.

Last edited:
They are selling all their animals. The girls father said he is tired of how poorly his daughter treats them. So I wasn't supporting abuse. The girl is 15 years old and her dad said she wasn't suppose to let them keep breeding. I had my friends buy the rest of their animals. I found an old lady ( Thats what she told me to call her! not my own option! She didn't give me a name lol just said call her old lady!) with a farm for all chickens and geese, had to help transport them to her farm. Geese in your back seat... people driving next to me thought I was yelling at them!! , and my friends bought the muscovies and goats. The father says he will not let his daughter have any other pets till she brings her grades up and learns responsibility. The daughter gave me a pretty bad attitude as if I was stealing her pets. You could tell she wasn't happy. And I did in fact report them.
I am hatching them. This rooster is a "one of a kind" fella, so sweet. My 2 hens are very social also. PM (personal message) me and we can plan.

Buying from a bad situation only supports what they are doing. They will just keep breeding and selling, more animals are placed at risk. Stop the cycle! I do understand your feelings to save them! Honestly, report it. I worked in animal care and control 5 years. So many hoarders and backyard breeders. If they are reported the animals will be saved.
ETA There are a number of awesome caring people out there. They believe in breed conservancy and good care for the animals they keep. My point is research the breeder, google them. If conditions are bad report them. That stops abuse and saves a breed from extinction.

:( I am so sorry. Let me know what you need, will do all I can to help.

WELCOME!! Not Too Far away from you! Glad you could join us!

Hi from Porter County!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom