INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Does anybody know where I can get ducks processed? I ended up with 7 males this year, and that’s a bigger job than I want to do myself. I called J&M Poultry, but they said they don’t process ducks.

I don’t know how to find any local processors.

Since it's Monday, here are some more bad jokes to keep you going.

What do chickens fear the most? The Apeckalypse.

Why did the young rooster act like his dad?Like feather, like son.

Why do people pinch their nose when walking past the chicken coop? Because of the fowl odor.

How do you get a chicken to read your blog? Cluckbait.

Why couldn’t the chicken find her eggs? Because she mislaid them.

What do you get when you cross a chicken with a cement mixer? A brick layer

What day of the week are chickens afraid of? Fry-day!

What do you call a great chicken? Impeckable

Why didn’t the chicken go to KFC? It wasn’t on her bucket list.

What day of the week are chickens afraid of? Fry-day!
<groan> these are cluckin’ bad

I thought I had read that they were pretty short-lived in general. I was expecting that I'd start losing them pretty soon. I only have three, and I don't think any of them lay eggs any more.

If she's still poorly tomorrow I'll probably put her down.

I thought I had read that they were pretty short-lived in general. I was expecting that I'd start losing them pretty soon. I only have three, and I don't think any of them lay eggs any more.

If she's still poorly tomorrow I'll probably put her down.
We tried everything with ours. I have one left out of 8. We switched to barred rocks after that. They started dying off after 3 years. My girl that's still kicking looks more Rhode island red than golden comet though. But TSC mixes up chicks all the time

I don't have any experience in geese but it is possible your Gisela is just annoyed by the young gander. In my experience with chickens the hens find a young roo to be very annoying to some instances downright intolerable. Ive only had 2 roos in my chicken keeping and I've found it best to keep them separate from my girls because they are just constantly riding them. Also sometimes I'll just have a chicken that just likes to be on her own. They don't have to fight for food if they do their own thing.

I'm a little biased because all I've kept are chickens but...chickens. and at most 10 at a time. Ive kept golden comets and barred rocks but the golden comets lead to heartbreak as they didn't last long. I'd like to keep jerseys just for meat in a separate coop and rabbits for meat. Sheep for meat and wool
Comet are very high egg producer for about 2 years. Love your plans!
When I mention Jersey I mean milk cows sorry.

I'm a little biased because all I've kept are chickens but...chickens. and at most 10 at a time. Ive kept golden comets and barred rocks but the golden comets lead to heartbreak as they didn't last long. I'd like to keep jerseys just for meat in a separate coop and rabbits for meat. Sheep for meat and wool
Comets are a huge layer and at 2 years about. At that point they are stew hens or keep them as pets. Im so sorry the hatchery didn't explain this to you. i love them too but when laying stops its time.

Last edited:
I'll play!

What birds were your #1 favorite?

Chickens. Love many breeds but big fat fluffy English Orps are my fav. Son loves Appenzeller Spitzhauben & Daughter is a Silkie fan. Throw in a few seramas, a piano-playing Modern Game Bantam, and a feisty, 7 yr old Sebright who is the top hen
View attachment 3380240View attachment 3380244View attachment 3380239
View attachment 3380247View attachment 3380251View attachment 3380252View attachment 3380246View attachment 3380248

What have you kept?
Only kept chickens with occasional (seasonal) quail & turkeys (2-3 at a time)
Hatched:
chickens (big orps & Bielefelders down to tiny seramas and many breeds in between), ducks, quail, turkeys. Love to hatch!! - best when we do it for others

What didn't work out well?
Love-Hate relationship with turkeys. Cute poults, annoying and hysterical antics, great flock protection, they eat a lot, can be bullies to the chickens, and taste delicious. Every fall I'm counting the days until their departure. But spring hits and I soften, then decide to hatch some again.
View attachment 3380245

What would you like to keep someday?

Rabbits. I had a Flemish giant as a kid. Also some Netherland dwarfs.
Maybe.... Maybe... If I had the property.... trying a few goats or sheep.
You have gorgeous birds to be proud of and I'm assuming children/grandkids? I love that pic of the black chick underneath your other girl. You should submit that for the caption thread!

I looked into goats a while back and realized: I think we're goat people...but we're not goat people. Sheep though Im all for.

Back
Top Bottom