INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo

I have Guineas and they are LOUD. They are loud when it rains, when something new is moved next to their enclosure, when something flies over, when we drive the tractor past them, they're even loud while they're eating! And they like to wander off into the woods and get lost.
roll.png
However, they have on several occasions warned the hens about hawks flying over, and the girls run for cover when they warn. I have heard them enough that I can distinguish between their 'this might be dangerous' scream and their 'OH MY GOSH RUN!!' scream (and the hens apparently can, too), so I know when to check on the birds if the Guineas have been set off. I don't know if that's enough good reason for you, but that's why I keep them around.
smile.png

hmmm, I like the hawk alert factor as we do have red tails around here and also owls (daughter scores 1 point).... however, the general loudness/noise factor still seems to win out (mom scores 2 points)... I need more convincing!! and thanks for sharing your experience!

Last edited:
Ive had both quail and guineas. I butchered the quail and sold the guineas. I loved the guineas until the males became hormonal. They constantly harrassed the chickens. They are also roamers and taught my chickens hhow to cross the road. But they were pretty and comical. Once I get a different house with more acres and off the road, ill be getting more guineas (just not cooping them up with chickens).
The quail I hatched, raised, and butchered were cortunix . I liked them but were raised strictly for butchering. They are EASY to process. Plucking is easy to do (no scalding needed) but very easy to rip the skin. I plucked most of the burd and the skinned them. Removing the feathers prior to skinning made skinning much easier. Besides kitchen shears I didnt need anthing else to process them other than my hands. Ill be buying more hatching eggs soon to incubate. If I get them in time ill send some quail chicks with the orpington chicks if you want some!
oooh -- how convenient for her ("I'll send some quail with the orpingtons")! You're going to make it hard to say no to the quails. She's actually done the rabbit butchering herself, but I'm not sure she'd want to do her quail....we'll see...

oooh -- how convenient for her ("I'll send some quail with the orpingtons")!   You're going to make it hard to say no to the quails.  She's actually done the rabbit butchering herself, but I'm not sure she'd want to do her quail....we'll see...
As long as its ok with mom and dad, I'd be happy to throw some in so she can see what they are all about. ;)

well we added 17 guinea keets to our farm yesterday. that added to our 80 chickens and 7 dogs for a total of 104 animals. its starting to feel like a farm around here. :)

:weee :weee :celebrate Now how many more do you want !!! LOL !!!

well seeing i am allergic to ticks and currently have over 200 tick bites on my body. i wouldn't mind if their numbers increased into the hundreds. :lol: sadly all they had was 17.

I had 2 guineas but they went to live with the neighbors! They are LOUD!! I enjoy them, they come for visits now. And they are spastic!! And not friendly!! But they are entertaining . Quail- I had the chance to go to Rio, Brazil years ago. I had a friend living there at the time. Whenever we ate out we'd have appetizer plates and they would serve boiled quail eggs along with other nibbles! Quite interesting!!

Back
Top Bottom