INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Show & tell time!!!
These are from Kittydoc's eggs
Lav orp female

2 blk splits females

2 blk split males
(DD's fav)

broody raised

Here's their tiny bantam mama. BROODY AGAIN!
Time for trial 2.

Well it is official! The last batch of eggs are being moved to lock down TONIGHT! I am ready to be done with chicks for a while. If I need eggs hatched,in better have a broody from now on lol.

The 6 cream Legbar eggs are here and haven't heard from the other breeder. I have the certificate, these eggs are clean of disease and came from a good breeder in TX. can someone help me get the hatched?

They just arrived today. Ideas?

With shipped eggs, you may get a lot of detached air cells. (or worse rolling air cells)  Unwrap the eggs

Thanks I transferred them to a regular carton with pointy end down and put them in our cooler guest room. The problem is my friend is not going to run her big incubator for 6 eggs, we were expecting 2 dozen at least from the other breeder who didn't come through. I think somehting happened with the other breeder, she hasn't been on FB for over a week and she's very active, especially in the breed room for her breed.

So that leaves me with no way to hatch these 6 Greenfire Farm legbar eggs. They aren't from Greenfire, they are from a good breeder in TX but from that line. She sent a cert. they are free of diseases, clean.

So frustrated here today.

Everything was set then the other breeder didn't follow through, I paid through PayPal but that leaves me with just a few eggs and not sure how many wlll even hatch; my mail flock was coming from the other breeder, these Cream Legbar were eye candy and making up small part. IF I an get them hatched, sigh.

About to cry.

So if you had more eggs your friend would run her big incubator for you?

If so, I have eggs, barnyard mixed but fertile.  I'll donate 17- how ever many more I collect tomorrow.  All you have to do is be able to drive about 35 minutes south of the Indy Children's Museum to pick up the eggs at our local bank.  It needs to be after 4:30 and before 7:15pm. 

That would give you enugh eggs hopefully.  Also @racinchickins
is close to me and might still have his breeding pens up for CCL eggs and breese eggs too. 
@jchny2000
is north and east of Indy She might have some eggs you could get.

My guess is that if you pick up enough local eggs your friend will set them.  If they are chicks you don't want, like my barnyard mixes, you can bring them to me.  One time offer to bring me the chicks as I've set the end of my eggs for a while and am looking forward to the end of chick season.  Now fertile barnyard eggs I'll have for most of the summer.

Thanks. My Mennoite friend will charge me 35 cents per live bird which hatches, she was doing that as a kindness to me. I am so disappointed the other breeder didn't come through, Mottled Houdans and Gold Brabanters. I payed thru PayPal but honestly think something must have happened. She's known well on her breed page on FB and she hasn't answered their questions either. I don't know her well enough to try to figure exact town in AL but nothing I could do about checking on her. But the eggs from her were going to make up the main part of my flock.

Then the 6 Cream Legbars were to enjoy and of course I hoped for pullets.

I don't know anything about hatching to borrow an incubator.

I had hubby call a friend to see if he had a broody hen and nope. I emailed privately one person in Mooresville, hoping he'll answer.

Alright, thanks to those who answered.

DD's project & new surprise:
The 4H project (Broody vs incubator) has been very interesting! First, my silly Cookie tried to go broody in sub zero temps. Thankfully she gave up that idea & went broody again in March. Mid April hatched out some chicks from Kittydoc & Chickcrazed. Both groups, when averaged, had the same hate rate %. DD enjoyed mothering the incubator group. They are more affectionate, but the broody group is more athletic & had no problems with the rest of the flock.

When chicks were only 3 weeks old, Cookie started laying. Last week, Cookie went broody - AGAIN! (Her babies are only 8wks.) I picked up some fertile eggs & slipped them in last night. (DD wants to do a second trial) This morning I found my EE on the fertile eggs & poor Cookie one nest over. My EE is certainly sounding broody. She's 2 & never went broody before. Could she have learned from Cookie? I kicked the EE out & placed Cookie back on the eggs. Here's where it gets really strange. Under Cookie was one of the marked fertile eggs. The nests are 8" off the ground. How could a tiny chicken move an egg? I know where I put them last night!

To stop the movement of hens & eggs, I put some mesh over the nest opening. If the EE continues broodiness, I may split the eggs. Meanwhile, the kids swear they did not move the egg.
My geese will steal the duck eggs out of the nests and roll or carry them into the goose house. The muscovy also steal chicken eggs out of the nest boxes! I will probably have several mutt chicks again this year, I saw several chicken eggs in the scovy nests, UGH!

Quote:
Do you recall what age they started to lay? I looked up several hatcheries and they list anywhere from 15 weeks up to the following spring.. pretty wide opinion on them!
So I hopefully picking up some midget white poults (older poults more like half grown). I know nothing about midget whites. But it's the only lead on heritage breeds in my area I've had all spring and they are priced right. Also my current flock free ranges all day even the chicks and ducklings. How long will I have to coop everyone up before I can free range again? I don't want to shut the hens out as they go back in and lay eggs throughout the day. Thanks!
Are they already familiar with chickens? If so they should take to the flock fairly fast. I know the breeder, so mine went directly into my flock. Mine are like a big chicken, no kidding. They are becoming my favorite breed of turkey. Only downside is they are broody monsters! I have several pekin eggs and goose eggs under the 2 hens now, developing nicely.
here is what your adults will look like, one of my hens on the house roof, lol

My tom being a tom quite proud of himself!

Quote:
Thanks I transferred them to a regular carton with pointy end down and put them in our cooler guest room. The problem is my friend is not going to run her big incubator for 6 eggs, we were expecting 2 dozen at least from the other breeder who didn't come through. I think somehting happened with the other breeder, she hasn't been on FB for over a week and she's very active, especially in the breed room for her breed.

So that leaves me with no way to hatch these 6 Greenfire Farm legbar eggs. They aren't from Greenfire, they are from a good breeder in TX but from that line. She sent a cert. they are free of diseases, clean.

So frustrated here today.

Everything was set then the other breeder didn't follow through, I paid through PayPal but that leaves me with just a few eggs and not sure how many wlll even hatch; my mail flock was coming from the other breeder, these Cream Legbar were eye candy and making up small part. IF I an get them hatched, sigh.

About to cry.
So if you had more eggs your friend would run her big incubator for you?
If so, I have eggs, barnyard mixed but fertile. I'll donate 17- how ever many more I collect tomorrow. All you have to do is be able to drive about 35 minutes south of the Indy Children's Museum to pick up the eggs at our local bank. It needs to be after 4:30 and before 7:15pm.
That would give you enugh eggs hopefully. Also @racinchickins is close to me and might still have his breeding pens up for CCL eggs and breese eggs too.
@jchny2000 is north and east of Indy She might have some eggs you could get.

My guess is that if you pick up enough local eggs your friend will set them. If they are chicks you don't want, like my barnyard mixes, you can bring them to me. One time offer to bring me the chicks as I've set the end of my eggs for a while and am looking forward to the end of chick season. Now fertile barnyard eggs I'll have for most of the summer.
I would donate also. I am done with chicken hatches this year, so it would be pure breeds of Lavender orp, easter egger or turken/orpington cross. My barnyard free range birds are just a handful of barred rock, white leghorn, RIR and other common breeds, all comingled. I can't meet due to my parents, hard for me to leave the house, but eggs are here for the taking.

Oh my gosh I am back, I have rose from the dead, I've been busy since last time I was on, I moved out, I'm working on getting my high school diploma, the roommates and I are thinking about getting a few chickens once I get a job and we get my dog sometime this week. :D Oh I hope everyone is doing great!!!!! :D

anyone in the northwest Indiana area have any broody hens I can put eggs under? My incubator is acting up and I have a bunch of eggs I need hatched coming.  Please help!!!
i live really close to you but, i know nothing about incubation. I have all hens no roo's so my chickens don't go broody. There is a guy down the road that had chickens but lost them all after last years tornado. I can ask him if he may have a incubator for a cheep price. My husband is pretty handy and mabe able to fix yours.
1f60f.png

Yeah! I have @raicinchickins to the rescue! Making plans to get them there tomorrow for his incubator! Answered prayer too!

(can't find the yipee chicken icon when I need it)

:) Thanks to all who offered help or suggestions. Now please pray with me that we have a good hatch rate and um, pullets are nice! ha

Back
Top Bottom