INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh my gosh I am back, I have rose from the dead, I've been busy since last time I was on, I moved out, I'm working on getting my high school diploma, the roommates and I are thinking about getting a few chickens once I get a job and we get my dog sometime this week.
big_smile.png
Oh I hope everyone is doing great!!!!!
big_smile.png
animallover ~ I was just thinking about you the other day! It's good to hear from you, and I'm glad you're doing well.
smile.png

@pipdzipdnreadytogo I don't think anything could be any cuter than your happy little duckling!!
love.gif

@Faraday40 Your broody did a great job with @kittydoc 's orpington eggs. Beautiful boys and girls! Your lavender female has beautiful big, dark eyes like my blue splash orp. I love your lavender's model pose. Pretty and fluffy!
tongue.png

Originally Posted by Bawk

Yeah! I have @raicinchickins to the rescue! Making plans to get them there tomorrow for his incubator! Answered prayer too!
(can't find the yipee chicken icon when I need it)
:) Thanks to all who offered help or suggestions. Now please pray with me that we have a good hatch rate and um, pullets are nice! ha

Yay! A great ending. Our thread members are so thoughtful. Glad @racinchickins can help you.
yippiechickie.gif

your hens can go broody without roos but you may have breeds where it has all but been bred out of them. I think I am gonna switch the incubator to a digital thermostat from the wafer but justhave to break down and spend the money. I have one broody silkie sitting on golf balls I am going to use but I have two batches coming in the mail. I have had some great local people let me use some of their broodies for some of my peacock eggs, I just need a couple more. Thank you !!

just so everyone knows im a successful incubator and located near rockville( kinda central) im more then glad to help people in their future needs of incubating

Morning, friends.

I don't know if you remember or not, but last time I dropped by I posted about my guinea's first clutch. She had a silkie helping her sit on it...bad idea! The guinea wasn't a good sitter, and the silkie lost interest around day 21. My kids had fun throwing rotten eggs at trees, though! The guinea is about 28 days into her second clutch now. I let her lay them in a window well far away from the coop where the broody hens won't be tempted to join her. We'll see how it goes. She and her fella are gorgeous Royal Purples, so I'm hoping she will hatch some keets and I can share the love. So many people have asked me for keets, it would be nice to see it happen this time.

So, hey, the real reason I dropped by this morning is y'all are my fave chicken experts, and I have a question. Turns out one of the marans MPC sent me was a roo. Do you have experience with Golden Cuckoo Marans roosters? Are they NICE? I dread having to deal with another holy terror like the EE roo I had last year was. If he's okay around my kid, of course I will keep him, but if he's mean he has to leave.

Re: MPC, that makes two roos out of 6 pullets in this year's order...and guess what, both the buff silkies I bought died (one was their fault, one was my dogs), so it has been kind of a disastrous order...I will end up only three egg layers from my order of six...and might STILL have to buy eggs to keep up with my three sons! It is enough to make a girl think about buying started pullets.

After getting so many roos that were supposed to be female, I think in the future I will just buy straight run. At least then I won't have the idea that someone has claimed to look at them and determined them one or the other. Even knowing they will give me my $ back if they're wrong, it feels like being taken advantage of to have them be wrong so *often*.

Andrew née Abigail:

day old^

last week (below)

I have 3 tiger kittens that will be weaning in the next 2-4 weeks. 2 are female, 1 is male. They are being raised by my female barn cat right now. They are free to good homes, they would need some food for a while until they turn into full barn cats. And of course like all of my animals they are not human aggressive, they are even friendly with my tiny human toddlers.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513]I don't think anything could be any cuter than your happy little duckling!! [/COLOR]:love
Isn't he just the cutest? :love I really adore that picture in particular, too! I think he's entering his awkward phase at this point, though. :lol: Getting a bit gawky and awkward. Hopefully he'll emerge from this phase as a handsome young duck. :D He's still a cutie, anyway.
Morning, friends. {snip} Andrew née Abigail:
Is that a splash Marans I spy? :love Such a pretty little girl, reminds me of my Frou-Frou at that age!
I can't help you with your question about GCM behavior as I've never had a Marans rooster, but hopefully someone else has. :)

I had the Purdue vet students out to tour my farm this week. It was a really neat experience! The professor picked up the first bird and gave it an exam, and then showed them how to test for AI, MG and possibly one other thing (?) and then they caught each bird and they all got tested and a thorough exam by four vet students. They LOVED the Bielies and we agreed that as chicken royalty the manhandling they had to go through was undignified......lol. It was interesting to see the proper way to hold a chicken for an exam. I will be putting that into practice!

I was able to ask questions about a couple of issues I had noticed, and get answers! She asked to take pictures of some things (my no-crow collar was one of them!) and gave me some pointers on my setup. One thing I thought I would share is that she recommended I put astroturf on all of my roosts including the outside roosts. She said it removes the extra carotin(Sp?) from the bottoms of their feet and helps prevent bumblefoot, is easy to clean and is inert so it is ok if they eat it. I am going to do it and thought I would share! I also talked to her about putting sand in my runs and she said not to. She said that some chickens will eat it and make themselves sick. Interesting! This vet actually holds a patent in in-ovu (in egg) vaccination and said she would show me how to vaccinate for marek's in egg the next time they came out! Super cool!

I asked the professor why it is so hard to find a vet that will see chickens. She said that most schools/professors will only teach vet students who are going to solely specialize in poultry, and most of those vets focus on commercial flocks so backyard flocks are out of luck. She said that since she started teaching at Purdue she has offered a poultry block and has had vet students rotating through. So hopefully in the next few years these vet students will start to scatter throughout the state and we will see more options open up. I thanked the students for getting this experience and told one of them to practice nearby when they graduated :)

Anyways, just wanted to share the knowledge! I offered to do it on a regular basis and it sounds like I will be having them through once a quarter, when they get the next round of students through. I would recommend anyone that gets asked to do this do so!

I have 3 tiger kittens that will be weaning in the next 2-4 weeks. 2 are female, 1 is male. They are being raised by my female barn cat right now. They are free to good homes, they would need some food for a while until they turn into full barn cats. And of course like all of my animals they are not human aggressive, they are even friendly with my tiny human toddlers.
I may be interested if we don't decide to move!
Morning, friends. I don't know if you remember or not, but last time I dropped by I posted about my guinea's first clutch. She had a silkie helping her sit on it...bad idea! The guinea wasn't a good sitter, and the silkie lost interest around day 21. My kids had fun throwing rotten eggs at trees, though! The guinea is about 28 days into her second clutch now. I let her lay them in a window well far away from the coop where the broody hens won't be tempted to join her. We'll see how it goes. She and her fella are gorgeous Royal Purples, so I'm hoping she will hatch some keets and I can share the love. So many people have asked me for keets, it would be nice to see it happen this time. So, hey, the real reason I dropped by this morning is y'all are my fave chicken experts, and I have a question. Turns out one of the marans MPC sent me was a roo. Do you have experience with Golden Cuckoo Marans roosters? Are they NICE? I dread having to deal with another holy terror like the EE roo I had last year was. If he's okay around my kid, of course I will keep him, but if he's mean he has to leave. Re: MPC, that makes two roos out of 6 pullets in this year's order...and guess what, both the buff silkies I bought died (one was their fault, one was my dogs), so it has been kind of a disastrous order...I will end up only three egg layers from my order of six...and might STILL have to buy eggs to keep up with my three sons! It is enough to make a girl think about buying started pullets. After getting so many roos that were supposed to be female, I think in the future I will just buy straight run. At least then I won't have the idea that someone has claimed to look at them and determined them one or the other. Even knowing they will give me my $ back if they're wrong, it feels like being taken advantage of to have them be wrong so *often*. Andrew née Abigail: day old^ last week (below)
I think @ellymayRans has a golden cuckoo rooster.

I'm selling a CCL hen. She is about a year old. She is the rooster's favorite hen. She is laying eggs but her back is bare from the rooster. If interested, message me. I think there is a second CCL hen also about a year old that I could sell if you wanted two.

Back
Top Bottom