INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Wow...never heard of one exploding and killing a little one. So sorry..... Last time I brooded w/out a mamma I decided to get a heat plate instead of using a lamp. It is one purchase I'm glad I made. I hope to never have to use a bulb ever again.

No cover needed. They like to rest on the top.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=135875&species_id=ALL&criteria=heat+plate

I have an Ecoglo, which is very similar. The chicks love it and I'm not always buying bulbs. When I have more than one tub of chicks going, I use a regular light bulb rather than a heat bulb and set it on a metal screen over the tub so that it can't get to the little ones if the unthinkable happens. Also, rather than the big heat lamp reflectors, I buy an 8-inch work light at WalMart. Because I'm using plastic tubs, I worry about the big ones being too close to the edge. And the smaller ones have an off-on switch, which I prefer to plugging and unplugging.

Last night the heat lamp exploded and killed the little EE that @Bawk gave me. She was getting so big and adorable. Poor little buff Orp is lost without her sissy.:hit

Went ahead and gave all the bitties a bath today after burying the little EE. They're not happy with me, but it was needed because they were filthy birdies.

Aw, sad, sending you hugs. Hopefully the buff will find a new buddy.

In speaking of pet turkeys, however, Saphira started making whining dog noises yesterday. Anyone else had experience with this vocalization before? I'm used to the dinosaur noises and peeping, but we seriously thought we had a puppy on the premises for awhile. This isn't the first time I've wished I could find my cellphone, but it's one of the more interesting reasons ;)

Last edited:
What a beautiful day! Sun felt really good. Finally dried out enough to cut the north pasture, yay! Will be gathering up lots of grass hay for all the coops and runs. Its funny watching all the birds and livestock when the tractor & bush hog is running. the pigs and goats start running the fence lines, chickens all but line up in the rows that were just cut down. They all know it means yummy bugs or fresh hay.
Cut down the remains of what was the garden. had a few spindly cornstalks, everything else died out from all the rain. Probably a good thing since my big freezer died, ugh.

Mine aren't happy when other people do the turkey noises either. Heck, they don't like people who aren't me in the yard anymore. They don't hurt anybody, but they give all newcomers "the once over" and "hairy eyeball".

I haven't heard Saphira make the noise since, but it really did sound like a puppy hysterically whining after being abandoned--the really heartrending whine. Wasn't a yip or peep or bark or any of the other normal noises. Not sure if it was my being where she couldn't see me, or if there was something else the matter. Sometimes animals just make weird sounds to hear them, so I'm not sure how seriously to take it. Just hoping the poor girl wasn't in pain, but since she hasn't made it since, I'm gonna let it slide.

On a side note concerning animals who love to hear themselves talk, I'm not sure if I've mentioned Mag the Mighty and his really hilarious habit. He likes to get into corners and talk to himself. He'll lie down and just get to clucking--often the "hey ladies, I have something tasty" cluck, but not always. He first discovered this in my house (apparently the kids brought him in to clean up a mess of cornbread crumbs they'd scattered all over the dining room floor). After the first corner episode, he had to try other places for their acoustic merit, initially believing this was some kind of magic in my house and trying every possible way to get into the house so he could properly talk to himself. A few days ago, while hubby and I were cleaning out the garage, he discovered that he could get quite the amphitheater experience in the garage. He's very particular to talk to himself (and try out new places) in the best spots for this acoustic endeavor. I'd thought music theory and sound engineering were beyond the scope of an underage rooster, but God Almighty has decided otherwise.
bow.gif

Quote: I have heard my turkey hens make a high pitched clicking noise, its usually when geese or herons fly over.
Interesting.. I have a 3 year old EE roo that climbs into a nest box before his girls get into it. He adjusts the hay, singing and talking the entire time. Sits down like he will lay an egg! Hen is standing there, patiently waiting and talking back. Then he will hop out, and in goes his hen! If something doesn't suit him, he makes a growl noise and tries a different box and repeats the whole ritual. He has 6 hens, and does this for every girl, pretty fascinating! He is what I call a "good rooster", feeds his hens instead of gobbling up goodies himself, non aggressive to humans, and protects his girls from the younger roosters that free range. So far, all his sons have been very good boys also.

My only gosling that hatched this year.. She has become a real sweetheart. 4 weeks old now, and will be going to live at DDs house soon. (IF I can give her up, lol!) 2nd try going outdoors for a while. Today went much better! Just adore this little girl.

Big stretch, enjoying the warm sun!

Back to moms feet to check in.

I'm a big girl now!

Sorry I am terrible at picture taking, lol.

Haven't been on here in awhile and am way behind on posts, but I wanted to let everyone know that Minmin1258 (Cindy) is having some pretty serious health issues right now and could you use all of your thoughts and prayers. They will be very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom