INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just wanting to show off some of my babies. It was so pretty out today that I took advantage of it. The silkies enjoyed it too.

This lovely lady just started laying about a week ago and she has been laying every other day. Collecting eggs to start hatching from her now.

My 1 and only sizzle girl. Love her

Seamore (buff) and Rembrandt (white)

I love this girl to death, can't wait to see what her and Rembrandt produce

Great News! No Marek's Disease!!!!!!!
The final report from Purdue arrived, my vet called to discuss, and I asked him to email me the reports.

Screech died from mycoplasmosis — she had tracheal and pulmonary lesions. Very odd because I never noticed any respiratory problems. She also had Capillariasis (aka threadworms or hairworms) in her crop and esophagus, which are not the cause of death.

I will post more info later this evening...

Last edited:
WOHOO!!!!
1f64c.png
1f44f.png
1f423.png
1f602.png
I am sooooo happy for you!
Editing to add- still sad for you and little Screech.I know its hard to hear she was sick and you didn't know. Hoping your new Lacey helps you heal.

Okay, editing yet again. I imagine you are researching like crazy and will let us know more about what you find out. I am confused, what is the difference if any between mycoplasmosis and MG?

I'm happy for you that it's not Mareks but my excitement is tempered for now ...at least til i know more
1f615.png

[COLOR=A52A2A]Great News! No Marek's Disease!!!!!!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]The final report from Purdue arrived, my vet called to discuss, and I asked him to email me the reports.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]Screech died from mycoplasmosis — she had tracheal and pulmonary lesions. Very odd because I never noticed any respiratory problems. She also had Capillariasis (aka threadworms or hairworms) in her crop and esophagus, which are not the cause of death.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]I will post more info later this evening...[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Ugh. Hoping she finds a safe spot. I've been lucky that the couple times its happened she's shown up the next day like nothing happened. Meanwhile you have a heart attack! All you can do is search as best as you can and hope and pray she's okay.
Nothing like doing a head count in the evening and missing one hen....I've looked everywhere!! Barns, bushes, garage, fields ,everywhere and she is no where to be found!
1f615.png
What do you all do when you are missing a hen!?

Hello All!

I am on the hunt for nice quality buff or porcelain Silkie cockerel or roo.

We would consider a trio
or even buff and porcelain chicks if that's the only option.

Would prefer to pick up (or meet somewhere) - we're in Harrison County
we would consider shipped birds/chicks depending on quality/price.

Thanks for looking!

WOHOO!!!!
1f64c.png
1f44f.png
1f423.png
1f602.png
I am sooooo happy for you!
Editing to add- still sad for you and little Screech.I know its hard to hear she was sick and you didn't know. Hoping your new Lacey helps you heal.

Okay, editing yet again. I imagine you are researching like crazy and will let us know more about what you find out. I am confused, what is the difference if any between mycoplasmosis and MG?

I'm happy for you that it's not Mareks but my excitement is tempered for now ...at least til i know more
1f615.png
Oh yes, it's all very confusing. And I hate to think that Screech was suffering. She had no respiratory symptoms at all. The only thing out of the ordinary that I had noticed was a few weeks ago when she seemed kinda quiet and reserved, so I thought she was maybe getting frostbite on her bald head. That's when I posted photos, asked for input, and decided that she wasn't getting frostbite. She perked up, and after that, I noticed a couple of times that she wasn't as active, but assumed that the crazy cold bummer winter was the cause. No major red flags or anything. In one way, it's not surprising that she got sick possibly by contaminated water—I had seen her on several occasions find the tiniest dirty puddle to drink from even though there was fresh water a foot away! But, with most chicken illnesses, it seems impossible to pinpoint the cause. We always used our chicken shoes and clothes, cleaned up every day, etc. etc. From what I've read, I plan to maybe use pebbles instead of deep litter—not sure, but dusty deep litter is too easy to inhale, and too difficult to make sure it doesn't get dusty.

Mycoplasmosis aka Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) It’s also the cause of Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD). When my vet called, he had just received the Final Report, and they close at noon on Saturday. I told him that I had cleaned out the coop, removed deep litter, and disinfected. Because of her threadworms, he said to go to Rural King and treat the remainder of the flock with Wazine in their water. I always put ACV with the mother in their water, and I never had seen any worms in their poop, but there are so many kinds of parasites that I suppose I should regularly worm them. I haven’t in the past because I didn’t think it was necessary, but now I think it is.

From what I know, which isn't much, Marek's would be worse to deal with— the fact that the virus can last for years and it's more difficult to eradicate. Viruses are especially evil things! I think that in both cases—MG (bacterial) and Marek's— breeders are most affected ~ Closed for Business.

This is a paragraph from, "Chicken Health for Dummies" (and the text is online):

I think MG is the lesser of the two evil illness.
Anyway, it's late, but I will share info and if anyone has input, it is appreciated!

Hope everyone had a great day with their flocks! It was sunny and 73 degrees here!
I had my “new Lacy” across the street for two field trips, and in the far backyard, I had my other hens (including my original Lacey).

Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo
P.S. Just curious, have you thought of a new name for your Wyandotte yet, or did you decide to just keep it as Lacey as well?

smile.png
@pipdzipdnreadytogo ~ So far the only clarification between their names is the spelling! lol It just seems weird to rename Lacey since we've called her that for almost four years—even if she doesn't know her name! My new Lacy knows her name and we are communicating very well since I am her servant. I know her "Room Service!" call, her "I'm done with my dustbath!" call, her "It's getting dark, we'd better go in" call… DH and I have noticed that Lacy has the same specific alert sound that the other chickens use when seeing one of our cats. It's not a general predator alert, it's a cat alert. Interesting!

Last edited:
[COLOR=8B4513]Oh yes, it's all very confusing. And I hate to think that Screech was suffering. She had no respiratory symptoms at all. The only thing out of the ordinary that I had noticed was a few weeks ago when she seemed kinda quiet and reserved, so I thought she was maybe getting frostbite on her bald head. That's when I posted photos, asked for input, and decided that she wasn't getting frostbite. She perked up, and after that, I noticed a couple of times that she wasn't as active, but assumed that the crazy cold bummer winter was the cause. No major red flags or anything. In one way, it's not surprising that she got sick possibly by contaminated water—I had seen her on several occasions find the tiniest dirty puddle to drink from even though there was fresh water a foot away! But, with most chicken illnesses, it seems impossible to pinpoint the cause. We always used our chicken shoes and clothes, cleaned up every day, etc. etc. From what I've read, I plan to maybe use pebbles instead of deep litter—not sure, but dusty deep litter is too easy to inhale, and too difficult to make sure it doesn't get dusty. [/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Mycoplasmosis aka Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) It’s also the cause of Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD). When my vet called, he had just received the Final Report, and they close at noon on Saturday. I told him that I had cleaned out the coop, removed deep litter, and disinfected. Because of her threadworms, he said to go to Rural King and treat the remainder of the flock with Wazine in their water. I always put ACV with the mother in their water, and I never had seen any worms in their poop, but there are so many kinds of parasites that I suppose I should regularly worm them. I haven’t in the past because I didn’t think it was necessary, but now I think it is.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]From what I know, which isn't much, Marek's would be worse to deal with— the fact that the virus can last for years and it's more difficult to eradicate. Viruses are especially evil things! I think that in both cases—MG (bacterial) and Marek's— breeders are most affected ~ Closed for Business. [/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]This is a paragraph from, "Chicken Health for Dummies" (and the text is online):[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I think MG is the lesser of the two evil illness.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Anyway, it's late, but I will share info and if anyone has input, it is appreciated![/COLOR] [rule] [COLOR=8B4513]Hope everyone had a great day with their flocks! It was sunny and 73 degrees here![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I had my “new Lacy” across the street for two field trips, and in the far backyard, I had my other hens (including my original Lacey).[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Originally Posted by [/COLOR]pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=333333]P.S. Just curious, have you thought of a new name for your Wyandotte yet, or did you decide to just keep it as Lacey as well? [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]:) [/COLOR]@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513] ~ So far the only clarification between their names is the spelling! lol It just seems weird to rename Lacey since we've called her that for almost four years—even if she doesn't know her name! My new Lacy knows her name and we are communicating very well since I am her servant. I know her "Room Service!" call, her "I'm done with my dustbath!" call, her "It's getting dark, we'd better go in" call… DH and I have noticed that Lacy has the same specific alert sound that the other chickens use when seeing one of our cats. It's not a general predator alert, it's a cat alert. Interesting![/COLOR]
Welcome to my world. :/ If you ever have any questions about MG, let me know. I haven't had the time lately to dedicate to as much research as I could, but I do have a lot of sources of information saved from when I first found out and can probably answer questions. Funny thing, my flock never showed symptoms, either, save for my little Sebright with sinus issues due to her wretched previous owner botching her completely unnecessary debeaking. It's just so mild that, realistically, unless you test your flock regularly for it, if your birds are outside the odds are high that they have it and you just don't know it! There are many professionals that believe MG could be in as many as 80% of backyard flocks without the owners knowing, a piece of information I wasn't sure I believed until I got the positive test back on my seemingly healthy flock. Marek's versus MG, I'm not sure there's a comparison of which is worse. Marek's disease can have a lot worse symptoms, but tends not to affect older birds, and it does not transfer through the eggs, so breeders can work with it and breed for resistance without concerns about passing the disease around as long as they make sure to wipe the shells of the eggs before incubation in case of dander sticking to them. MG is not a huge deal for the pet flock owner unless you have a strong strain of it that you keep having to treat and retreat for, but it does transfer through the egg, and so it puts a damper on me ever having a breeding flock along with my current flock. My options are to cull and start over (which I could never do to my babies!) or breed for resistance and live with the knowledge that I can never be NPIP certified in the state of Indiana (one of the very few, if not the only state that tests for MG for certification from my understanding--those of you who are certified testers can correct me if I'm wrong) and could possibly be passing the disease around to anyone I sell to in doing so, something I'm not sure I can do and feel okay with... Even if 80% of the flocks have it already, I'm not sure how okay I would feel about selling chicks and eggs from a flock known to have it and possibly infecting one of the 20% without it, you know? I am quite surprised that your vet would recommend using Wazine for threadworms! Wazine is ONLY useful for treating roundworms in poultry, as is stated on the label, and will not get rid of any other kind of worm your birds have! Threadworms, AKA Capillary worms, are most effectively treated with Albendazole, but can also be treated with an aggressive round of Fenbendazole. Albendazole is really hard to find in feed stores; I had to get my bottle online. However, it is more recommended because it is safer; it slowly kills the worms to avoid a blockage of dead worms in the gut. Fenbendazole is available in goat liquid dewormer, horse deworming paste, and cattle dewormer, and is pretty easy to find in stores, but you may have to dose Wazine a few days beforehand to make sure that there isn't a blockage of roundworms in the gut as a result of using Fenbendazole. Both Albendazole and Fenbendazole require weighing each bird and dosing individually if you want to be accurate, so they are hard to use on larger flocks like mine, but worthwhile to know that they actually work! You can use the token 1/4 cc per bantam, 1/2 cc for large fowl, 3/4 cc for especially large chickens dose for Fenbendazole paste, but I have found this dose to be pretty far off of what you get when you actually weigh them and dose by that. The dose for Safeguard Fenbendazole 10% Horse Deworming Paste is: 0.51 mL of paste per kg of body weight, once a day for 5 days in a row to treat Capillary worms. The dose for Valbazen Albendazole 11.36% Liquid Cattle Dewormer is: 0.176 mL of liquid per kg body weight, dosed twice, the second dose given 10 days after the first. Make sure to shake the bottle thoroughly before drawing up doses! The egg withdrawal for both is 14 days after the final dose. Also, notice that both dosages are per KILOGRAM of body weight, not per pound! The dosages can easily be calculated per pound if that's easier to work with; there are 2.2 pounds per kg. :) For what it's worth, worms generally only show up in droppings if there is a HUGE infestation; your birds could have them and you would never know without doing a fecal float test or some other test for internal parasites. That's why a lot of people worm their birds once or twice a year just as a preventative. ACV is not a dewormer, either, and so the use if it is irrelevant to whether your birds have worms or not. If your birds are outside eating bugs and earthworms, odds are they will get internal parasites at some point. RE: Names. Eh, there's nothing wrong with having a Lacy and a Lacey. :) I have a Margie and a Maggie, both nicknames for Margaret (although I didn't think of that when I named Maggie). I also have three Wyandottes, one of which is named Miss Wyandotte, so... :lol: It's so interesting how many vocalizations chickens have! My understanding is that they have a different call for every different perceived predator, so it doesn't surprise me that Lacy has a cat alert. She has you well trained. ;) Edited to clarify

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom