INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

2-6 eggs a day from 15 birds.

Three aren't laying yet. The new BO and one of my two Delaware pullets from the spring.

Three of them are two year olds that are molting. The leghorn until this week was still going strong. An egg almost every day. The two BR, one looks to be laying more often and looks like a chicken again. The other is as ratty as ever and haven't had en egg from her in probably two week.

The other nine are cuckoo maran x 2, speckled Sussex x 3, NH x 1, Delaware x 1, and australorp x 2.

Three roosters available! One is an easter egger brahma that is simply magnificant and carries a blue egg gene. The other two are Brahmas (columbian pattern).
Would like to trade for a hen or two or a few ducks. Located in Northwest Indiana.

8-12 eggs a day with 20 layers, but most of mine are first year pullets. Out of my older hens, only one is laying and it is only an egg or two a week. Most of them are nearly done with their molt though. Some of my older girls are retired and just pets. Out of my pullet group, I think a few will not lay until Spring. The girls that are laying though are laying well. We were getting a dozen a day until the time change and then they slowed a bit. Throws us all off..
roll.png

I cannot complain. We get all we eat and enough to give my Mom eggs every week.

Our dog has discovered a new disgusting odor that has now added another whole level of magnitude to our stink scale. (BTW- Our dog was diagnosed with cancer 16 months ago (mast cell tumors), yet still surprises us with new things! The vet & I agree that his cancer will likely not be his life-limiting factor.)

In his 9 yrs of life, he remains an active trouble-maker & pokes his nose into all sorts of mischief. Yes, we thought that skunk oils were at the top of his bad smell repertoire. (In fact we keep several qts of peroxide & boxes of baking always on hand because he gets sprayed at least 3xs per year!) We also buy pet shampoo in bulk because he enjoys a good roll in misc. animal poop.

So his newly created smell begins with a skunk poo snack & rub. (After which he got a standard peroxide/baking soda soak.) After that we realized the odor was not only in his fur, but actually coming from his nose & mouth. He spent the night in the crate where with every tongue flick the skunk odor grew. By the time I went to bed, my eyes & my lungs were irritated - almost as if I had been sprayed. By morning I opened the bedroom door & was assaulted by a new putrid smell: Skunk-poo dog vomit!

How can such a beautiful mutt get so many bad smells?

Does anyone know of a good over-the-counter doggie mouthwash?

Hi! I'm a new member from Indiana I just found you guys! I found old threads from 2012, but so glad to see Hoosiers are active!

Experiment Update:
DD candled Quail eggs tonight - day 7

hatching eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
farmer market eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
grocery store eggs = 9 looked clear, 1 maybe

Extra hatching quail eggs (not part of the experiment were thrown in the other incubator) All 6 looked good. Those overflow eggs were put in the home-made cooler-bator with the chicken eggs. That incubator always does better. I must open it to turn eggs by hand 3xs per day, but the temp is still always perfect.

Considering the breeder told us to expect a low hatch rate due to seasonal infertility, I'm happy about the results so far. A little surprised that the 1st 2 groups are the same, but we'll see what happens soon. DD will candle again in a few days & remove the definite clears then. The speckles from the quail eggs make candling more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom