INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thank you guys. I just want to keep our options open

How much does it usually cost?

I'm not sure. My dad used to chat up the one butcher before they closed here (Lowell, shop was in Cedar Lake). I think it depended more on the weight/size, quantity, and specific cuts? The venison butcher/taxidermist down the road does $95 basic cuts, according to his signs. I'd definitely give one or all of the butchers a call. One of them had a quote page, too.

Just an update! I ended up not finding any Silkies or Polish, but I showed my grandpa some Cream Legbar and Olive Egger colors, and I found out he also loves the idea of colorful eggs. He might not think they look quite as pretty physically, but he's never had pretty eggs either. He's going to be so excited! Hopefully they actually end up colorful. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
:love

Just an update! I ended up not finding any Silkies or Polish, but I showed my grandpa some Cream Legbar and Olive Egger colors, and I found out he also loves the idea of colorful eggs. He might not think they look quite as pretty physically, but he's never had pretty eggs either. He's going to be so excited! Hopefully they actually end up colorful. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
:love
I'm glad your grandpa liked what you found and will enjoy the pretty eggs. I know they're all eggs, but i actually prefer the blue eggs. For some reason they seem more gold-yolked and slightly richer taste. It could just be that particular hen's diet. Technically they're all eating the same feed, but perhaps my EE is just better at foraging in the yard.

I still recommend continuing the search for a silkie or two. Not for the eggs, but for the companionship. I personally find them weird-looking, but once you've had one, you'll understand why so many people are obsessed with them. My DD's silkie is beyond spoiled. Her only goal in life is to be cuddled. She whines and stands on my boot to be picked up.

Here's the queen of all chickens: Xansie :love
IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4340 copy.jpg
IMG_4342 copy.jpg

1596593093045.png
IMG_6508a.jpg
IMG_2923.JPG

Xansie's very 1st spa day. (She's been many colors throughout the years.)
IMG_9544.JPG

She also goes out Trick-or-Treating every year.
IMG_4999.JPG

Above: Xansie wore a dress to go as a girl, and DD wore a chicken costume
Below: Xansie made an adorable bat!
IMG_3126.JPG

Here's a rare sight of a pathetic, wet silkie. :lau
IMG_0086 (2).JPG

Oh wow Faraday, such a beautiful (and adorable!) chicken! I'll definitely keep my eye open still, but today is his birthday so I felt like I should speed things up. The Cream Legbar will hopefully lay blue, and I also hope both the Olives are green or... Olive. :p I know it's never a guarantee, but I'm sure he'll still love them either way. He's super happy!

not sure if anyone on this thread is interested in coturnix quail, but i was invited to represent byc and indiana as a featured guest on coturnix corner channel this evening with my backyard aviary!! feel free to check out the playback and other videos by terry as well!!

My chicks from strombergs finally arrived today. They were ordered in May. I got 5 each of blue australorp, blue cochin blue, wyandotte, california gray and heritage rhode island
20200807_105130.jpg

Attachments

• 20200807_095746.jpg
    20200807_095746.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 0
I still have chicks coming from Hoover hatchery ordered through rural king those were also ordered in May and should have been here a month or so ago. But rural king threw out my order because they thought it was an old order. They've replaced the order and are now supposed to be here next week

Hey all, I wanted to introduce my self and say hello. My wife three daughters and myself moved here to Harrison County last August and started building a new flock this spring. Looking forward to getting to know all the Hoosiers here.
WELCOME!
I'm not sure. My dad used to chat up the one butcher before they closed here (Lowell, shop was in Cedar Lake). I think it depended more on the weight/size, quantity, and specific cuts? The venison butcher/taxidermist down the road does $95 basic cuts, according to his signs. I'd definitely give one or all of the butchers a call. One of them had a quote page, too.
Thats where I grew up and lived 35 years. I remember Komo's on 41! They sure offered awesome meats but thats 21 years ago. Komo's may be able to direct you to a good local shop or do it themselves.

I still have chicks coming from Hoover hatchery ordered through rural king those were also ordered in May and should have been here a month or so ago. But rural king threw out my order because they thought it was an old order. They've replaced the order and are now supposed to be here next week
Grrrr! hope this works out ok

Back
Top Bottom