Indoor Pet Chickens

I usually have my chicks in the house when they are in the brooder, but after about two weeks the house starts to smell,so I then put them into the barn

I asked this very question yesterday. I have a "red hen" that is a year and a half old. She's had two heat strokes in a matter of months. Each time we have brought her in to the chicken hospital (a.k.a. laundry room) and she's bounced right back. With this ridiculous SE Oklahoma weather, I'm afraid to put her back out with the other juvenile delinquents. She is currently housed in a large dog crate with layers of puppy pads for easy clean up. It's darker and not as cold from the a/c in that room to help with her recovery. But I agree, it's a lot of work to keep clean. But if I could house break her, she would definitely get her own room :D

I am wondering, how many people here keep an indoor chicken as a pet? I've heard of people doing this, just not here on the BYC. The idea is intriguing, especially since chicken sized diapers are available to take care of the poo problem. Do you keep the chicken inside most of the time or just for visits? I really am curious!

I'm in love with my first flock, but a chicken in the house? No. For a visit? No. Chicken diapers? Positively no.

My brother had 2 chickens that came in the house. He even gave them their own bedroom. That only lasted about 6 months. They were messing, and smelly.

I laughed really hard at some of the stories, LMAO
it's amazing to me how many ppl let chickens live in their home. Not a chance with me! Other than the baby chickies in the brooder. And by the time they are feathered out, I can't get them out fast enough. imo the whole experience of chicken keeping is a lot more fun once they're outside anyway.
chickens LOVE to forage...what are they gonna forage for inside? lol
the diaper thing is outrageous to me...never heard of such a thing, I couldn't stop laughing. potty training my last baby here soon, also getting my tubes tied in a cpl month's, and I wouldn't dream of going back to diapers EVER again. and chicken diaper smell would have to be the most vile smell ever.
and letting your chicken roost on you while watching TV? what! lol doesn't the chicken poop on you?!!!
:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

Back
Top Bottom