Indoor Pet Chickens

Pics
All my chickens (7Silkies, 1 is a Roo) sleep inside, at night. I am a clean person and so is my house, including their room...its a spare 4th Bedroom, with vaulted ceiling, ceiling fan, hardwood floor, and french doors that open to the backyard pool area. I can't hear the Roo, in the a.m., as their room is on the total opposite side of the master bedroom. They have it made!! Spoiled!! But it gives me peace of mind, knowing they will not be eaten alive, at night. Plus, with this Hot and Humid Louisiana weather, they can get a break from the heat! It's work keeping their room clean.. lots of dusting!!

I actually have one (Annie) that is newspaper trained. o.k...so sort of. I kept her inside all day because she didn't want to go outside and decided to sit on her egg. Everyday she got out her pet taxie and pooed on the floor, by the door (in the exact same spot) Sooo I put newspaper down and everyday when I got home, i'd throw the newspaper with poo away.. that was easy and never imagined a chicken would poo in one spot, over and over again. And her egg hatched!

Last edited:

Mine tried once, but the cat said NOPE. LOL

I got a polish chicken about a week ago and she is getting a silkie sister when they are old enough to be sexed. I have three baby silkies that are two weeks old. The polish chickens name is Meep! She seems to really enjoy the indoors and if she is outside for for play time she usually just wants to go right back in. She has a mirror in her cage and she loves to lay and look at her self and make the cutest little noises. I leave a light on above her coop all day. What do you all use for your indoor bedding? I'm using pine shavings but sometimes she runs around and kicks it everywhere.
I pick up her poops everyday 1 to 2 times a day in her cage. My house doesn't smell, mostly there is a slight pine smell and I don't mind it.
I am trying to diaper train her but she is hating it! I have had her three weeks and working with her everyday. I am excited for the baby silkies to get bigger, two will need to be rehomed :( I just have room for two chickens and we can't have roosters in city limits so keeping fingers crossed one out of the three is a female.
Hoping meep will love her sister when she is old enough to join her coop. ( I'm thinking when the baby is 3months old)

What does everyone's cage/coop look like?
Do you leave a light on over them (she isn't in the best lighted area in the house)
What diapers do you find have been the most comfortable and enjoyable for your chickens?

I have a couple indoor chickens.they make great pets.love cuddling, very sociable Even get along good with my dog,which is a bull mastiff.they do poop,which is not too much headache considering I've taken steps to minimize it.put then in a box at night next to your bed or wherever,and alot ally of their mess goes in there.they eat and drink out of a dog bowl.lobe spaghetti noodles (cooked).they follow you everywhere and don't be surprised to wake up and the chicken be next to you sleeping.they love attention

Ok recommend Bantam cochins for indoor chickens. Smaller birds leave less mess,and cochins are very loving birds.safeguard tall lampstamds as they do fly and love to jump up on them.

So I've been thinking about getting a couple silkies as inside pets but "livestock" isn't allowed in my county. Would keeping them primarily inside label them as a "pet" and not "livestock"?

I have two indoor bantams, both hens. The older of the two walked into our garage last October, and now has a 16 sq ft pen, while the younger one has a 4 sq ft rabbit cage. There is actually very little smell and cleaning is easy.9 I'm in the process of making custom diapers for them that can also double as a harness for going out and about. They are both very people friendly and the older one gets lots of attention when she goes out (she's the only one with a diaper right now). She even had a fan club. Once I'm done with diapers, they'll be going out more. They get plenty of roaming around, and love their time in the kitchen at night because it means crickets and superworms for chasing and eating. They are also trainable, and one of the trainers at the petsmart in our area can now add training a chicken to her resume.

This is Gurtrude.
20170503_182337.jpg

And this is Lizbeth
20170815_001239.jpg

They are real sweethearts. I don't regret having either one in our house.

Back
Top Bottom