Inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about the situation, there are a lot of economic opportunities in tough times. Second hand stores suddenly become hot items. People who used to eat dinner at fancy restaurants are now more likely to grab a hot dog off of a street vendor. Laundromats become a lot more profitable as people lose their homes and are forced into more modest lodgings.

Flop houses and single occupancy hotel rooms suddenly become socially acceptable and more profitable.

Years ago, I found that after my car broke down that if I left it broken it didn't break anymore. Of course, I couldn't use it, but then again I didn't have to buy gas or insure it. Taking the bus was a pain, but it sure saved me a lot of money.

People adapt, and yes there is some economic opportunity left.

Rufus

The cause of the economic situation that effects all so called first world countries seems self evident. Decades of both governmental and personal borrowing. Decline of manufacturing industries as more emerging economies expanded their manufacturing bases. National obsessions on both sides of the Atlantic with being the world's policemen. Time and evolution, because we all know nothing stays the same forever. Empires decline and fall and I'm sure that we are not the first people in history to wonder where it all went wrong. We may have rewarded ourselves too well, and now the time has come 'To pay the Piper!'

Debi, I think this is one of the most interesting threads in a long time.

In many ways, today is very similar to the 1970s when people were trying to go back to the land. Gasoline is high: gold and silver higher than I've ever seen it at over $1400 and $30 an ounce. I was an early subscriber to The Mother Earth News when John Shuttleworth owned the magazine out of Hendersonville, NC. It was reported that he personally had a big stash of silver. (He would have been appalled that there is a tobacco ad in Mother!) Precious metals are too high to buy now, IMO, but Europeans and Asians have hoarded metals forever. Wifezilla is right, IMO, it is a matter of self-preservation; really that is all we have control over.

I am going back and reading your posts; I just skimmed many. You are right, Rufus, I did omit the important word, "northern" in a previous post. An interesting thing is that John Shuttleworth had a "Lifer" for Mother at $120. I didn't have an extra $120 in those days but I sure wanted a life time subscription to Mother. Wonder if it is still honored.

As mentioned there isn't much that any of us can do. If we fight and bicker amongst ourselves then we aren't focused on what is important and imho that is hanging on tight because the ride is going to get bumpy. Get out of debt. Raise more livestock. Grow a bigger garden. Educate others. Invest in self sufficiency while the dollar still has some value. Personally I am in desperate need of a solar power system to run my well. We have food, garden, our chickens, and defense but we need the water still.

Yes the DOW average is up and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I can see gold and silver hitting ridiculous prices as I believe that they are acting as leading indicators of inflation. But the DOW? I just don't see enough confidence out there to keep it surging like is has over the last several months.

The one thing that does concern me is QE3. There is talk of it and it does cause inflation.

So be nice. Help each other. And hope for the best and if the best doesn't happen hopefully our preparations will help us muddle through.

Yea Bakerjw...now is the time to prepare what you CAN control...such good advice...I also want solar but on a very small scale..will adjust to first things first rule...am learning how to preserve food (can)..bake bread...plant corn and grind for chickens,planting watermelons,pumpkin etc. to FEED chickens (and us for sure) trying to visualize --- time WITHOUT... any more advice ..lets help each other - I have no gold - precious metals - only my own two hands and faith.

We also need to pay attention to the people who are doing what is good. See if what they do - that we think is right actually works. Don't worry about the party or affiliation just see if it works, see who benefits.

Right now what is coming for the US is going to be bad not only because we have let it get so bad, but because the less we uphold our own laws the less other countries will believe in us. As they lose faith in our now very corrupt system they will create other avenues for themselves on a grand scale. This is part of why we invaded Iraq, but that's another story for another day. Fiat money depends on faith. If we are proven repeatedly not to be a land of laws the faith is eroded and we all lose.

I agree with wifezilla. Sorry, texas would not work for me for many reasons, but self sufficiency as far as you can take it, resilience...... community building.....

Don't forget that if it gets really bad you will need to defend your possesions.
I have WHAT in my yard? :

We also need to pay attention to the people who are doing what is good. See if what they do - that we think is right actually works. Don't worry about the party or affiliation just see if it works, see who benefits.

Right now what is coming for the US is going to be bad not only because we have let it get so bad, but because the less we uphold our own laws the less other countries will believe in us. As they lose faith in our now very corrupt system they will create other avenues for themselves on a grand scale. This is part of why we invaded Iraq, but that's another story for another day. Fiat money depends on faith. If we are proven repeatedly not to be a land of laws the faith is eroded and we all lose.

I agree with wifezilla. Sorry, texas would not work for me for many reasons, but self sufficiency as far as you can take it, resilience...... community building.....​

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom